What is wrong with op-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I have mentioned before, a musical instrument, including the voice, produces overtones (or harmonics). When the distortion is rising 6dB/octave in an OPAMP, the result is an alteration of the overtone spectrum.

True, but if you make the distortion versus freq flat by increasing the distortion at the lower frequencies (which is what loading the Vas can do), does that make it sound better in your opinion?

jd

Joined 2006
Paid Member
True, but if you make the distortion versus freq flat by increasing the distortion at the lower frequencies (which is what loading the Vas can do), does that make it sound better in your opinion?

jd

No. But the musical instruments does sound as it should (if the distortion is not too high, of course). I really can not see any reason to make an amplifier change the sound of an instruments or voice. Low distortion is not the only goal in amplifier design, but a low distortion amplifier should have an open loop bandwidth of 6-10 kHz at least, not 10 Hz as in OPAMP's.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No. But the musical instruments does sound as it should (if the distortion is not too high, of course). I really can not see any reason to make an amplifier change the sound of an instruments or voice. Low distortion is not the only goal in amplifier design, but a low distortion amplifier should have an open loop bandwidth of 6-10 kHz at least, not 10 Hz as in OPAMP's.

Agreed, but I don't see what it has to do with OL bandwidth. Where does that requirement come from?

I can take that opamp with a -3dB roll off point at 10kHz and increase the DC/LF gain by say, 20dB which moves the rolloff to 1kHz. Or increase the DC/LF gain by 40dB and which moves the rollof to 100Hz.

jd

Last edited:
Back to the original question. What is wrong with opamps.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with opamps.

I agree with that, but only if full instrumentation grounding is used, with poured copper grounds under the Op Amps. As provided in most commercial audio equipment, I find them sorely lacking in completeness of musical signals. But then I find point to point / discreet schemes and PCB / discreet schemes lacking in that same category, without proper ground planes, too

Bud.

Signal grounds.

I'll don my asbestos jacket here and suggest that you've been listening to less-than-competent designs. I can see no good engineering reason for putting signal grounds onto a groundplane in a piece of audio equipment. The purpose of a groundplane is to provide low inductance up to RF frequencies. But signal grounds are generally highish impedance (greater than a few hundred ohms) - they're connected to shunt resistors, feedback resistor networks, opamp inputs and the like, none of which require low inductance. Making the signal ground a large area fill just increases its capacitance to noise sources and its potential to act as an antenna to RF.

Its only bogus to the degree that the harmonics are all summed together to give a single number whereas its widely accepted that higher order ones are most offensive and least masked.
Okay, you say that as if "everone knows" that, yet THD was used earlier in this thread as it historically has been to compare tube and transistor amps with no mention or clue that some harmonics are more offensive than others.

I've also heard the mistaken assumption that THD is an always-valid measurement regarding speakers (which give mostly low-order harmonic distortion): "How can anyone hear 0.1 percent distortion in transistor amps through speakers that give 2 percent distortion?" when the distortions are distinct and to an extent orthogonal.
Have you read his papers? I had a look and one thing I can't fathom is why he focusses almost exclusively on static distortion - distortion that is frequency independent and can be modelled by a bent transfer function. As far as I'm aware, that focus precludes examination of most of the known distortion mechanisms in audio amplifiers as outlined by Doug Self. As you're someone who seems to regard this work highly, do you have any idea of why he'd ignore dynamic distortion?
I of course can't speak for Mr. Geddes but I see it as an attempt to supersede and provide a more useful alternative to the still-widely-used THD figure, which is also a static measurement, and as discussed, can easily be misleading. I don't have any of Mr. Self's books though I've read a few pages on his website, especially "Distortion in Power Amplifiers." I'm not sure what dynamic distortion you're talking about, though I did just see his page on thermal-based dynamic distortion in chip amps.

You're claiming Geddes' measurement is not the be-all and end-all to distortion measurements, and while I may agree, it's a substantial step forward from the still-too-widely-used THD, a step that arguably should have been made decades ago. As far back as the '60's (when transistors were first applied to hifi audio) I could imagine someone inventing a distortion measurement consisting of two figures, one for low-order harmonics and one for high-order harmonics.
I believe such work has been done - it shows that for modest levels of feedback this is indeed the case. However as the feedback is increased further the higher order components drop down monotonically with increasing NFB. So as Bruno Putzeys says 'if you're going to use feedback, use lots of it'.
Thanks, that's interesting.

I hadn't heard of Mr. Putzeys before (I haven't looked into Class D amps, for one thing), it was interesting to read the IEEE article on him.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.