What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the moon, do we know when it became tidally locked with the earth?
I covered that earlier as well. No one challenged the figures I gave at the time, but they are certainly worthy of scrutiny! :magnify:

Using the tidal locking formula from Tidal locking - Wikipedia the time for tidal locking to occur may be calculated as 16 million years as an upper estimate. See tidal forces - When did the Moon stop? - Astronomy Stack Exchange

This soon after its formation, the Moon would have been a molten body so there would be no impact craters from the time before the Moon's axial rotation slowed.

16 million years seems very soon to me compared to the estimated 4.5 billion year age of the Moon. So don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player!

I think the Van Allen Belt deserves a mention here also. How'd they work that out?
There's actually two Van Allen radiation belts - the inner and the outer.

57578main_radiation_belt_small.jpg

A rocket uses the same technique you use to avoid being killed by an x-ray machine i.e. by only spending a short amount of time there! :clock:

The inner belts are fairly dangerous, though not so much so a human can’t pass through them if they have to. The outer belts are much less dangerous. A spacecraft can avoid the inner belt by leaving orbit at high inclination (far from the equator), and can minimise exposure by traveling through the area at speed - as the Apollo missions did.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yeah well there's no kool-aide left. You all hogged it all. I'd love to know they went there. Just too much controversy. All that camera work after landing yet virtually nothing in outer space. Why not? Serious evidential corroboration. They did have windows.

Here's Buzz Aldrin narrating the descent of Apollo 17 watching the actual video out the window. NASA's 17 Apollo Moon Missions in Pictures | SpaceNote that he talks about the dust being kicked up almost obscuring their vision! Rocks, boulders? You have a clear view in the vid. I don't see no stinkin rocks. In the last moment, it's coming straight down. Regardless, back to my original question. Where's the beef? That thing may very well have landed on the moon alright, but there wasn't anybody in it! The tracks of the LRV in those pics may match perfectly in those pics but it was being driven remotely. You can find a piece of the horizon from all three landing sites and one from area 51 which match exactly when superimposed on each other.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There should be video of the approachimg moon and receding Earth. I cannot verify the pics/find the program entitled "Did We Go To The Moon?" They were presented there. But lets stick with the easy stuff such as Buzz Aldrin's direct contradiction regarding the diminished thrust output during descent. Your description fits others I've heard/seen as to why there's minimal to no evidence. So if you watch that video I linked to, Buzz certainly puts the kibosh on that notion. The footage reveals it too.

You don't often see Mercury.
All you need to know about observing Mercury is to be found here: Mercury - In-The-Sky.org

Mercury is observable for a few months each time it reaches its greatest separation from the Sun. These appearances repeat roughly once every 3 - 4 months, taking place alternately in the morning and evening skies, depending on whether Mercury lies to the east of the Sun or to the west.
It's sub-zero up here right now, so I'll happily give the triple-conjunction a pass! :cold:

I think you are stuffed by cloud cover in Troon. I'll chance a chocolate bar since a Kit-Kat isn't a Picnic.
I would have to get my 'Wagon Wheels' on to get to Troon!

It's cold enough where I live to pick up a 'Penguin' and have a 'Snowball'! :D

Attachments

• Wagon Wheels.jpg
    Wagon Wheels.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Penguin Biscuits.jpg
    Penguin Biscuits.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Tunnocks Snowballs.jpg
    Tunnocks Snowballs.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Responsible for considerable tooth decay and dentist's bills and toothache in my life. :eek:
My new dentist is but a slip of a lass in the early years of her career, and I always look forward to her gentle administrations.

However, when I attended for a filling replacement the other week, it was like walking into a scene from The Andromeda Strain!

Brave girl, I hope she stays safe.

Attachments

• Andromeda Strain.jpg
    Andromeda Strain.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 102
Me and my lovely and talented sister fight like cats and dogs. :eek:

I sent her a picture of the Christmas 24th. December Star on email.

904421d1608832925-universe-expanding-conjunction-christmas-eve-jpg

While we were yakking away, she told me that she thought the Moon had gone a strange shape on Christmas Eve.

She is definitely not a dumb woman. So I checked my 24th. Dec archive.

EW. She was not dreaming. Weirdness. :eek:

Attachments

• Moon goes pear-shaped.jpg
    Moon goes pear-shaped.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 247
After a cold gloomy cloudy day in Portsmouth, the skies have cleared! :D

Within an hour we shall know whether we can get a snap of the great Winter Conjunction!

Camera set, tripod in order.

Don't miss Jupiter, Saturn and Mercury shine in a triple-conjunction this weekend | Space

I am excited. We either fly, or crash and burn. Red bicycle light packed, because I have learned from experience.

Bit like Elon Musk's Starship:

What is Elon Musk'''s Starship? - BBC News

Back later, things to do. People to meet. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.