What Does Hi-Fi� Even Mean Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I'm very glad that really good active monitors are available for 300€/pc, at almost every music shop or web shop -and they are selling big numbers!

Active monitors are my usual suggestion as first system to younger people. Some of the latest models are very good, and they connect easily to mobile devices.

So there is no difference between the Steinway and the Kawai, just artifacts.
After mandatory compression, stereo reverb, and a quick trip through a few popular plugins: yes, absolutely. And this is the way many records are produced now.

I find that the era of solid and reliable equipment was built in the 1970's, early 80's, and is quite suitable for anyone that doesn't have mental issues like they seem to do today.

I agree, good products were made in that period, when serviceability and dependability were still a selling point but the need to outnumber the feature list of competitor products on comparative tests was yet to be a important design requirement. The issue with vintage equipment is that there aren't many people left to repair them properly. I'm sure you have first hand experience on fixing "refurbishments" that have been carried out (at great expense sometimes) on vintage equipment by unskilled technicians. This is a showstopper for many people.

Perhaps you don't know what I posted. Haven't you seen those who claimed sound quality improvement of DACs, cables and other audio accessories?

I know what you've posted and I know what has been claimed and I note that your contribution makes no difference at all. The claims remain and the products are sold. Which begs the question WTF am I posting for ?

Let us all remember what each devices function actually is, & let us disregard for the moment the source material. The pre-amp is to raise voltage levels ever so slightly, if at all...& do some tone controls, switch from various sources. The amp raises the electrical power to drive the loudspeakers, that's all.
It is the loudspeaker which has the most difficult job by far, & the most prone to errors of almost infinite parameters...the conversion of electric signals to sound-pressure waves. This is where we should be focusing on, the most difficult of jobs.
This obsession with minutia of distortion levels in the other systems has long ago fallen well below the human beings ability to perceive differences...those perceived differences are a product of hyperbole, bias-conformation, the placebo-effect & a whole host of psychological related traits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Rick: You are being far too sensible on a thread where clock rollers are running around loose :)

@Syn08: I assume 'cos I can for a laugh' is an exceptable answer for persuing the pointless as long as no claims of veils lifted and wives in kitchens shouting approval are made?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't speak for the others but there is only so much amusement to gleaned from you consistently banging your head against the brick wall that is Markw4. He is going to do what he is going to do and yet there is you :headbash:

Can't speak for others, but there is only so much amusement reading every day about noise floor modulation, -140dB close in phase noise that improves the sound, metal can op amps better than plastic, op amp rollers, hearing -130dB intermodulation distortions, etc... Yes, he's doing what he's going to do, and I am going to take every chance to call his technical BS.

Other than protecting a vested interest, I will never understand why people rely on audio voodoo rather than looking up the existing body of knowledge. I am pretty sure none of them would go the a quack instead of a certified MD.

I feel sorry that most here will never hear real hi fidelity. It is just too esoteric to be available even at an audio dealer. Still, we designers still work at it. Yes, caps, cables, parts of all kinds, layout, etc. are important to us, but not to most of you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.