What Does Hi-Fi� Even Mean Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My ears are down to 9Khz top end

Do not forget that the part of the brain that takes the input from the sensors (inner ear) and turns it into time information does not have near the fall off with age as the part that teases out frequencies.

And do not underestimate how much proper training and listening experience can have on your brains ability to process what is coming in.

dave

Perhaps one way to find out is to look at examples of "low - fi" and "mid - fi" systems, to find the crossover to "hi - fi".

To me, I'd say low-fi is a communication receiver; you can clearly understand what someone is saying.

Mid-fi is the stock audio that comes with your LG flat panel TV or your Subaru. Distinctly has that "good enough" quality, works so that watching or driving is just into acceptable.

Hi-fi is where someone took the design time and money to incorporate most of the now well understood first principles of media playback, amplification and loudspeakers. Easily demonstrates superiority in how it sounds relative to general consumer level product.

I'm sure everyone could "write their own" definitions; as mine are probably pretty low -

Last edited:
Hi-Fidelity means the equipment reproducing the music makes the recorded music sound like a live performance. Nothing is better than good, live music.

Searching for the perfect Hi-Fi system makes you realize that there isn't any one stereo system that reproduces all genres of music to sound like live music. Some reproduce music better than other systems, but there are so many variables. The recording, the source device, the interconnects, speaker cables, speaker impedance, type of speaker, etc.

I'm enjoying this. It might be junk to some people. Good for anybody who has golden ears. I don't and probably never did. But I don't want to live without music. Music calms me, it entertains, I sometimes cry when I hear certain music because it is so beautiful and moving.

Then, your s.o.b. brother in law comes over and says in front of everybody that your gear should be in the garage. Nobody likes the volume or choice of music anyway. So I move most of it outside to the garage.

I've got a refrigerator out in the garage and always have only two beers. That's what I always tell my wife if she asks. They might vary in volume, but it's always only two. And since I'm in the garage, nobody is there to count.

Attachments

• Stereo1.jpg
    Stereo1.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.