What Does Hi-Fi� Even Mean Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, EVERY interest or hobby has sort of black sheep, opportunists, anti/counter cultures etc. It must be very deep in human nature... Think about politics, cars, motorbikes, bicycles, cameras etc. (typical male stuff)

In the big picture I have noticed that very few young people (<30y) are interested in hifi as I see it. Most hifi-shops have died or are dying, big electric stores don't have stereo sets and loudspeakers in the shop at all, only BT speakers, headphones,
sound bars etc. They have reacted to the changing demand from consumers.

Only positive feature is the focused interest in science-based audio hobby, quest for well-measuring and synergistic systems. Regarding loudspeakers, diy hobby lives reneissance with dsp and measurement software now!

I wasn't allowed a bathroom system but ordered to put a kitchen system in. Then again I sit down to listen to music in the evenings with SWMBO.

(she supplied the bedroom system when she moved in).

Seems like a nice balance, how did you end up using the space under the stairs? Seem to remember you mentioning something about that, or was it someone else?

Well, EVERY interest or hobby has sort of black sheep, opportunists, anti/counter cultures etc. It must be very deep in human nature... Think about politics, cars, motorbikes, bicycles, cameras etc. (typical male stuff)

Well... It's the same for any business, really. And it's not gender specific.
Ever heard about overpriced clothes, or shoes? What about skincare products? There's "hygiene" products for everyone and every use, priced in such a way that it continues to astound me that people buy that stuff.
And don't get me started on the medical industry.

The world seems to revolve around draining every individual wallet from where I'm standing.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Ever heard about overpriced clothes, or shoes? What about skincare products? There's "hygiene" products for everyone and every use, priced in such a way that it continues to astound me that people buy that stuff.

The world seems to revolve around draining every individual wallet from where I'm standing.

I hear that!
I'm glad that I'm pretty much "settled" in my tastes, and equipment.
I've no need or interest in purchasing something "new and exciting".
What I do see is a strange world revolving around things that are, to me, lacklustre, shallow, and cheaply made.
Being in the service business for decades, I've had the honor to see this first hand, and became aware of the trends enough to know better.

---

Damn, you are right! Glad that my wife and girls aren't so keen about those, that's why I forgot.

I'd like to see a few more people recognizing that some things can't possibly have an audible difference. For example, expensive power cords.

At the same time... there's a whole other crowd of people who will rant and argue that a particular piece of equipment that doesn't measure perfectly has no right to exist. This mentality seems to be a little too prevalent on the ASR forum, to the point where it can be rather abrasive and isn't particularly enjoyable to read.

For all the annoyance that comes from listening to someone rave about how fantastic their new $2,500 speaker cables are, I find it 10 times more aggravating to hear someone go off on a rant about the premium cable industry. It's not that I don't agree, it's that I don't appreciate the negativity.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
H713 pointed out some things that I also agree with.
However, the internet, and its convenient "virtual disconnect" platform seems to have opened up a whole new breed of discussions that weren't formerly common in face-to-face situations.
And along with that, a whole bunch of friction between opinions.
Granted, everybody's got their own opinions of things, their own beliefs, and that's fine, basically.
In a face-to-face situation though, there's a freedom to simply walk away if one objects to something.
But in the glorious "online world" and with the anonymity and seperation it provides, things are vastly different.
And this brings to the table a whole new facet of discussions.
And yes, as H713 mentioned, it can be quite annoying at times.
Because the drive to badger is increased, along with insistence about something.

What annoys me is those people that H719 mentioned, along with the nitpickers obsessive over such trivial subjects... in my established opinion.

I class them as the typical "nerds" we all heard about.
Some others are just plain gullible creatures. (the crew that believes whatever they read on the internet - must be true)
And those threads that go on for thousands of "replies" - I skip past them, knowing full well that they've worn their tires out long ago.

In the big picture I have noticed that very few young people (<30y) are interested in hifi as I see it. Most hifi-shops have died or are dying ... They have reacted to the changing demand from consumers.

What's changed, is the way they see it - and so the demand follows.

My 19 year old son showed me his JBL BT speaker - with the flashing, swirling light patterns going on within its translucent case.

The last speakers I built dont have that. I must have forgot to include that feature in the specification!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Some people don't recognize the difference between perceivable difference and audible difference.

That's certainly true.
The only way to prove a (minor) difference is taking place is with sophisticated test equipment, like an O'scope, distortion meters, even a DVM, etc.
I call those people with superhuman hearing, aliens, but from what planet did they come from?
Everyone who's heard my audio equipment basically agrees with me of the quality, but not just to stay friendly, but honestly honestly agree.
And no, I don't have any alien friends.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
What's changed, is the way they see it - and so the demand follows.

My 19 year old son showed me his JBL BT speaker - with the flashing, swirling light patterns going on within its translucent case.

The last speakers I built dont have that. I must have forgot to include that feature in the specification!

But of course your kid is 19, so at that age coolness and superficiality are important factors.

My 24 yr old is at this moment six feet away & listening to music thru some el-cheapo headphones on computer...now I'd guess I should pony up for some Koss studio quality stuff for him huh? He won't opt for speakers for everyone to hear, but there is hope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Account Closed
Joined 2018
My 24 yr old is at this moment six feet away & listening to music thru some el-cheapo headphones on computer...now I'd guess I should pony up for some Koss studio quality stuff for him huh? He won't opt for speakers for everyone to hear, but there is hope.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Quality headphones are nice for private listening, and they do give the ears an intense "close up" aural performance.
Like speakers, they're a personal choice, since everyone has different tastes.
But you can't even compare them to a nice hefty solid set of speakers that, properly arranged, and depending on the room, have their own dimension.

Back in the 1970's I had a sweet set of Koss Pro4AA's that put my head into the music when I didn't want annoying outside noises, or when the parents were arguing.
And when they were out of the house, my Advents ruled the world.

So when was the last time anyone has heard someone younger than age 30, or even 50, use that term (and not just while trying to be retro-cool either).

That should tell you something about what the term means nowadays, is more like the word “malarkey” really.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
So when was the last time anyone has heard someone younger than age 30, or even 50, use that term (and not just while trying to be retro-cool either).

That should tell you something about what the term means nowadays, is more like the word “malarkey” really.

High Fidelity, or HiFi, originally meant enjoying music through a sound system that produced pleasing wide-range clarity to the listener.
And for whatever era it was used in, related to the better equipment of that era.

We all are familier with when and how equipment evolved over the decades.
And the general public was basically "pleased" with their choices when they shopped for equipment.
Of course, standards, like personal choices, were and are still all over the place.

Now, viewing the internet's blogs, we've got alien-like beings who are never satisfied, and have gone nuts, with worrying over miniscule things like distortion, and the elusive perfection that they seem to think will satisfy their worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.