What are you drinking?

Rum of course.

Cogi, you make your own eggnog? Considering how easy it is and how sickly sweet the store bought is, I am surprised how few people make their own.

So am I. After making it for a couple of years for the family I tried to cut corners by doctoring a store bought version from a local dairy. I was almost banished for the remainder of the year! Since then I make 2 batches each holiday season, one with 2 kinds of rum, the other with bourbon for me. :D

I think more people make it but just don't talk about it. I've made eggnog for 20+ years now using a variant of the Joy of Cooking bulk eggnog recipe. Mix of bourbon and rum for mine. And it's strong! I too would be banished if I tried to "make" it out of pre-fab eggnog.

That JofC recipe (the old one, I'm not sure if it's still in recent editions) is awesome, but very rich and hard to scale down. I sometimes make a simpler one with milk, egg, sugar and spices (and rum and brandy!) in a cocktail shaker with ice.

My eggnog is different than others for a few reasons. I don’t like too much richness, certain sugars do not agree with me and I like other flavours.

Pasteurize your eggs in the immersion cooker for 1.5 hrs at 135F then chill.
1 egg per cup of liquid, I use 2% milk. Blender the eggs first until foamy. I use the egg measure as part of the liquid. ie: once 6 eggs are beaten, I add the milk to the 48 oz. mark. In a 64 oz. blender, don’t go beyond that.
Add the remaining ingredients and blend again.
Milk
Erythritol
Fresh ground nutmeg
Vanilla liquid
Cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Officially off the booze for at least 3 months. I've done this every year for a few years now. Good to give the liver a rest, lose a bit of weight, self-discipline/fortitude check. I am actually thinking I might go longer, perhaps 4-5 months, this time. My body is giving me some more hints that I've been overdoing it. Same with food. I've been overdoing it over the holidays. Going to resume intermittent fasting and get back to mainly Mediterranean diet and lots of lacto-fermented foods. More organ meats.

Last edited:
Today was a good reason to pull out the good stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 80