What are you drinking?

Carl, please tell me your opinion, I want to understand. I try Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot from a Russian winery and a French winery. And my feelings about these varieties are about the same. Cabernet Sauvignon has a more pronounced berry taste, it is more dense, more rounded, has a light earthy taste. Merlot has a faint smell, the taste is more neutral, less dense, slightly sharper, the taste of the earth is almost not felt. As if easier. But I think this does not mean that Merlot is worse or easier, maybe it is more difficult to understand the taste? Or is it more suitable for food? Today I bought Alexis Lichin Chevalier Merlot 2017, and I liked it much less than Alexis Lichin Cabernet Sauvignon 2018. The price for these wines is the same. With Russian wineries, the difference in the taste of these varieties is the same as that of French winemakers. Cabernet Sauvignon has a stronger and more confident taste. Or am I missing something?

LOL, Gunfu, the price can be the same but while you may prefer the Cab Sauv, others may prefer the Merlot. To each his own. And to make matters worse, you may prefer the Merlot depending on the food, time of day, your mood, etc. (unless there's a big difference in taste to you).

That's because wine is very much an individual taste. There is no right or wrong. That said, I think your descriptions are pretty accurate, at least to my taste for Cabernets and Merlots. In essence, Merlot is more subtle than Cabernet Sauvignon, and the fruit flavors are not normally as heavy, ripe and full as with Carbernets. But as you say, one is not better or worse.

For me, my tastes have changed over time. I used to be taken by the big bold taste of Cabernet and Zinfandel, but now often gravitate toward the more subtle Merlot and Pinot Noir, and some of the more obscure varietals. And then Cabernet Franc, which is used in small amounts in wines to add distinct flavors like pepper, raspberry, cassis, tobacco, can also be a fabulous single grape wine. And finally, as in the finest Bordeaux which can reach above US$3000 per bottle (e.g. Petrus and others), sometimes the best wines are not Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot, but rather a blend.

Basically, it sounds like you have a good sense of the tastes and what you like, and that will change and improve with time. In other words, you are as much of a wine "expert" as I am. I'm really just someone who enjoys good wine, and it sounds like you are too!

Carl, thanks for the answer. He is very interesting. The prices for these varieties are exactly the same, obviously due to the fact that in each line of cheap or average wine prices they keep the same price for the store so as not to confuse sellers and buyers. Moreover, prices for Russian wines are the same in one segment. The same goes for French wines from the same price range. At least in our stores.
Wines from a more expensive series may vary slightly in price by variety. But South African wines of the same price group are a bit more expensive, apparently due to more complex logistics. And white and red wine from South Africa costs exactly the same, I checked it today, apparently so as not to confuse the sellers and buyers at the price again.
$ 5.84 per bottle Paardendal Chenin Blanc
$ 5.84 per bottlePaardendal Shiraz - Cabernet Sauvignon
Купить Вино Паардедал Сенсо Каберне Совиньон Красное Сухое 14% 0,75л в магазинах SPAR

Last edited:
Beer

Attachments

• DSC_0486_copy_600x1067.jpg
    DSC_0486_copy_600x1067.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Had a beer and pizza day at a local brew pub with some friends...

Badger Hill - Lemonist - Lemon Infused American Ale (Shandy)
Badger Hill - Blood Orange Traitor (No political inferences, please) - Blood Orange IPA

Paired with some Jamaican jerk chicken wood-fired pizza..... mmmmmmmmmm. I may have snagged a slice of the kids' pepperoni too. :D

I needed that.

:cheers:

Alexander, the leader of the group has made some albums that are a bit difficult to listen to, but recent Встречная полоса and Ключ к шифру (both new in my collection) are pretty decent.

We drove to Tjörn (in the Western archipelago North of Gothenburg) and had a picnic, so I really just wanted a shot of strong coffee and a shot of grappa when I got home.

(Not many people like grappa, but I guess they have tried a $2 a bottle stuff, but could try our fuel for the lawn mower as well. Real grappa may cost a bit/lot more but the difference is HUGE)

In our south of Russia, in Armenia and Georgia they also produce grappa called chacha, this is the Georgian name. It costs about the same as cognac, maybe a little cheaper. There is even grappa aged in barrels of mulberry, dogwood and apricot. Everything is very interesting to taste. Personally, I would choose for myself bourbon or Armenian cognac. I don’t know if this is true or a beautiful legend, but the French allowed the Armenians to use the name cognac. Since in the blind test in the 20s he won. Churchill accurately ordered Armenian cognac during the war.
https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-pdb/70729/4d69486a-709e-49d1-8054-08cc5a0e1ddd/s1200
https://domagonim.ru/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/klassifikatsiya-konyaka.jpg

Last edited: