What are you drinking?

Last edited:
I WAS drinking this last night:

Attachments

• IMG_4961.jpg
    IMG_4961.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 138
Apparently you had a special evening yesterday. $ 259.56 per bottle.

Yikes! It was a birth wine for our daughter which we purchased in something like 2007. For WAY less than that! I thought it might have gone up to something like $100/bottle, but not that much.

We opened it to try it out and it was quite nice. Still too young at 14 but the flavors beneath the tannins were very good. I don't know a lot about cellaring wine but my guess is it'll be pretty nice when she's old enough to drink it and enjoy it.

Mmmm, good!!!

I really like St. Julien wines.

Always a good reason to go to France.

I was fortunate that each of my sons was born in a vintage year for "opporto" -- bought each a case -- now it is being consumed!

At the moment drinking Dunkin Regular, made in my Bunn Coffeemaker. Excellent. The Illy expresso maker bit the dust last week.

For those of you who like to go to California -- Napa and Sonoma wineries and restaurants are opening this week.

Last edited:

I think in the US this wine can be purchased for about $150/bottle but not certain. Still not bad as an investment - more than doubled our cost. Leoville Barton at the time was not one of the top Chateau and was known for the great value. I think in general it's more expensive now.

I was fortunate that each of my sons was born in a vintage year for "opporto" -- bought each a case -- now it is being consumed!

Jackinnj, I'm a big fan of vintage port so I also bought port for the kids (and if I have to sacrifice to try it out over the years, I'll suffer through that task...). 2003 was a declared year and pretty good for my first born. 2006 was not generally declared, but I got some Quinta do Vesuvio for my daughter. Haven't opened any of them yet.

Last edited:
I think in the US this wine can be purchased for about $150/bottle but not certain. Still not bad as an investment - more than doubled our cost.

Back in 1973 <$150 bought you an 1899 or 1900 Leoville (before the family separated them). The 1900 was spectacular the best fully aged Bordeaux I ever had. It's shocking to see that some of the wines we just grabed and took to a good BYO restaurant in the 70's (there were lots of them) cost as much as $5000 now. Things have really changed there were lots of restaurants (even fine dining ones) that that had no licenses and survived solely on the food.

We took 1976 La Mouline (~$2,700) to pizza restaurants.

Last edited:
Back in 1973 <$150 bought you an 1899 or 1900 Leoville (before the family separated them). The 1900 was spectacular the best fully aged Bordeaux I ever had. It's shocking to see that some of the wines we just grabed and took to a good BYO restaurant in the 70's (there were lots of them) cost as much as $5000 now. Things have really changed there were lots of restaurants (even fine dining ones) that that had no licenses and survived solely on the food.

We took 1976 La Mouline (~$2,700) to pizza restaurants.

Egad! That's crazy! Things have certainly changed!

One of our bloggers accidentally found his old and very long receipt from a store in 2007. In it, he bought food and drink for a party. And for interesting, he bought the same products now. Firstly, many products are either not manufactured or packaged in smaller boxes. But he picked up the maximum analogues. So prices for this period over 13 years increased by 257%! True, he says that only food and drink without industrial goods are taken into account. Although they officially say that inflation was only 160% over this period. By the way, I don’t know how in the USA, but on the links that I provided the prices for this wine in European wine shops are about 3-4 times lower than in Russia.
Access to this page has been denied.
Взяв чек 2007-го, блогер пошел в магазин, купил то же самое и удивился

Alsace was part of Germany for 500 years before it became part of France for 200 years.
In 1871 it became part of Germany again until 1918 when the locals declared themselves independent at the end of WW1 and were immediately invaded and annexed by France.
When the three Bugatti brothers emigrated to Molsheim in 1910 they actually emigrated to Germany.

The local language is a German dialect and they drink white wine (although made drom a red grape) out of traditionally german bottles.

All in all the people of Alsace are just not very french.

A

The local language is a German dialect and they drink white wine (although made drom a red grape) out of traditionally german bottles.

Riesling is not a red grape nor is Gewurztraminer. It's kind of funny when my wife and I first visited Strasbourg (we are both obviously of German decent) a shop keeper was unusually rude until they noticed we were Americans and apologized saying, "We thought you were Germans".

Attachments

• ripe-white-riesling-grapes.jpg
    ripe-white-riesling-grapes.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Gewürztraminer looks pretty red to me. Had no problems with rudeness there at all when I was in the Alsace, they even made an effort to speak something closer to Hochdeutsch. Thanks to the EU we don't have to pish about with arbitrary nationalities much anymore.

Attachments

• gewurz.jpeg
    gewurz.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Gewürztraminer looks pretty red to me. Had no problems with rudeness there at all when I was in the Alsace, they even made an effort to speak something closer to Hochdeutsch.

It has a blush skin with virtually no strong pigment, you can't make red wine from Gewurztraminer. Just relating my experience, visiting was always a little difficult because we were accompanied by our friends from Frankfurt and they refused to let me visit the tasting rooms at several famous producers because the parking lots were full of buses with as they put it "drunken German tourists".

I was actually quite annoyed that I could not visit Schlumberger or Trimbach.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi GUNFU, prices do vary in time and distance, decades are like theatre scenery.

Currently & very hard to get:
Menetou Salon, A Dezat & fils, 2015, A MS C
The last remaining few in my region, or country even. Picked up a box of 6 with discount.
Truly Pinot Noir from the Loire. Needs oxygen.
I live close to the capital says the mortgage, but in woodland paradise am I lifted by those fine grapes.