What are the best options this year for dome midranges?

The only aspect of the ATC unit that would be eligible for a patent is the inverse bucking magnet on top on the pole plate. In all other aspects the ATC is a 75 mm version of the SEL/ITT 50 mm Dome (1968 or so) including the double suspension. The original had an Alnico magnet inside the voicecoil btw. The Martin Colloms High Performance Loudspeakers book contains a cross sectional view of the SEL/ITT dome.
Other than that it is extremely rugged and well built, there is nothing special about the ATC. The dome assembly looks like a standard Dr. Kurt Müller job.

No, its nothing special. Only hi end nuts make fairy tales out of the ordinary. As I said, the ATC is well built driver.

What's the plan? You look closely at what various German manufacturers (Isophon, Saba, Heco all had fine 50 mm domes too) did with their 50 mm domes as of 1967-1968 or so, and see where they sourced their driver components. Then you find out Yamaha had a terrific 88 mm Be dome (but that's too complicated to produce) , and start thinking about the concept of bigger soft domes than 50 mm, just like Vifa and Seas did back in the day.
Next step is to approach Dr Kurt Müller in Krefeld, Germany and see what he has in store for you. If you only knew the components Müller has supplied over the years to various manufacturers of high reputation, you would have a lot less admiration for various speaker manufacturers.

Go here to order at least 100pieces : http://www.kurtmueller.com/index.php?id=5

Cataloque : http://www.kurtmueller.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Katalog/all.zip

Dear prospective customer,

the files were provided with a write protection,
so that they are not inadvertently modified and saved.
The Excel table protection wasn't used, so no restrictions exist within the table.

If you are asked for a password when opening the file,
simply click on the button "write protection".
The file is then opened with write protection.

This means you can work with it normally, but not store under the existing name.

Thank you for your interest.

No, its nothing special. Only hi end nuts make fairy tales out of the ordinary. As I said, the ATC is well built driver.

What's the plan? You look closely at what various German manufacturers (Isophon, Saba, Heco all had fine 50 mm domes too) did with their 50 mm domes as of 1967-1968 or so, and see where they sourced their driver components. Then you find out Yamaha had a terrific 88 mm Be dome (but that's too complicated to produce) , and start thinking about the concept of bigger soft domes than 50 mm, just like Vifa and Seas did back in the day.
Next step is to approach Dr Kurt Müller in Krefeld, Germany and see what he has in store for you. If you only knew the components Müller has supplied over the years to various manufacturers of high reputation, you would have a lot less admiration for various speaker manufacturers.
I see what you are saying, but I am not exactly saying that ATC deserves an award, it just appears that there is great success with the 3" soft dome in a 6" waveguide. The performance specs are what one would like to see.

I forgot about this thread and found it today doing a search for a dome mid for 4-way. It seems i have been thinking about it before :)

The thing is i have never heard a dome mid before. Some people seem a bit fanatic of what they can produce. When i started the thread i was searching for a dome for a 3-way, so would have needed as wide bandwidth as possible. But if one keeps the band width between 1k to ~3k, is it possible to get good results from the SS mid?
Within this limited bandwidth, does any of the other cheaper and smaller domes perform better? I am inclined to the use of low order filters, so the driver should preferably be free of severe break up.

The morel ET dome seems interesting, it is right at the limit of what i think is reasonable to pay also. So could be an option. Is there a large difference between this and the cheaper Morel dome? I guess the ET is the better one?