• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What am I doing wrong? (300B HF Boost)

Not my experience at all, I have been building 300B based amps for over 25 years and it's quite possible to get that kind of performance out of the 300B as well as quite a few other DHTs. My experience is mostly with JJ300B, EML300B, and early 2000s SV300B, and WE300B. (Also some 1950s 300B) I use fixed bias in the output stage and either IT or hybrid drivers with tubes like the D3A.
You are the best, this is how you do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately I can hear up to 17.5k and “feel” up to 18.8k… even though i’m almost 40 and have spent many years at music events. Trying to set make a high sensitivity speaker to satisfy my needs was a very long and expensive endeavor LOL! I would describe my hearing as very extended but overall low sensitivity….

Back to the filament supply… i’ve switched things up to a regular LDO (LM1084it-5.0) instead of my “zener shunt” and swapped out the 266LA12 for a 266K18 transformer and TBH it’s not running much cooler. The Bridge is maybe a touch cooler at 52 instead of 60s, but the filament transformer (266K18) is running at 70 degrees C… i’ve tried dropping the primary voltage with a variac to just above point where the regulator is able to do its thing but not much change in bridge heat, although LDO is obviously dissipating less. I’m hoping a 266L16 which is 35VA instead of 27VA of the prior trafos, and closer in voltage to what the whole thing appears to need - thus less to dissipate. because of my space constraints, I might even consider a switching setup just to keep things cool.

8E9C5580-FFD8-4AEC-98BD-1E6E885F43EE.jpeg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you might try reducing the input cap on the filament supply to 6800 or 4700uF. The 10,000uF cap might be increasing the heat of the transformer and bridge.

That's an interesting point that I have actually seen in real life. My new old Keithley bench meter required some repairs and the logic power supply was a 4 amp bridge into an LM317 regulator. The regulator gets pretty warm but the 4 amp bridge is scorching hot. The board is black underneath it. Thinking maybe something was wrong I replaced it with a 6 amp bridge which gets equally as burning hot. The strange part is the transformer never gets too warm.

Dear efm7, please draw a complete and detailed supply schematic, including how the secondaries on hammond's transformers are connected.
659D974E-7508-47DF-BA9F-6228820FC497.png

I tried the experiment suggested here - dropping the first filter cap down from 10,000u to 3,300u (which is what I had on hand) the smaller cap still allows for a steady 5v…. however the downstream caps (C6, C13) are still quite large and seems a bit silly now… but none of the cap swapping made much of a difference, the biggest change was as observed in putting in a more appropriate transformer - switched Hammond 266K18 (27VA) for 266L16 (35VA).. which doesn’t struggle as much and has less for the LDO to burn off.

I think the other issue is:
  • small surface area bridge (GBP406)
  • bridge Vf not as low as it could be (1v as opposed the 0.9v that’s available)
  • compromised thermal design (on the vertical part of a thin interior L-bracket instead of directly against an exterior wall of the chassis.

View attachment 1177047

I tried the experiment suggested here - dropping the first filter cap down from 10,000u to 3,300u (which is what I had on hand) the smaller cap still allows for a steady 5v…. however the downstream caps (C6, C13) are still quite large and seems a bit silly now… but none of the cap swapping made much of a difference, the biggest change was as observed in putting in a more appropriate transformer - switched Hammond 266K18 (27VA) for 266L16 (35VA).. which doesn’t struggle as much and has less for the LDO to burn off.

I think the other issue is:
  • small surface area bridge (GBP406)
  • bridge Vf not as low as it could be (1v as opposed the 0.9v that’s available)
  • compromised thermal design (on the vertical part of a thin interior L-bracket instead of directly against an exterior wall of the chassis.

Again, I don't work much with SS components but I think that bridge is too small. I used an old-style square-bottom, epoxy-embedded 50A bridge for my Aikido experiments (four 6SN7s) and it got pretty warm. But I am not much of a technician so I can only offer anecdotal advice.

1. With a very high impedance signal source and the volume control at Max, I see worst a case of 50k Ohms driving the miller capacitance of the input stage grid.

2. I see the parallel impedances of: The input stage plate rp, plate load Rp, and 2nd stage Rg driving the 2nd stage grid's miller capacitance.
(Miller capacitance is much higher for a Triode wired pentode, than for the same pentode wired as a pentode).

3. The output transformer.

Suppose each of the three above are - 1dB at 20kHz.
The result is - 3dB at 20kHz (3 x - 1dB).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for these insights! I will try pentode-wiring the pentode.

As for the input of the first stage, I could probably increase the value of of the grid leak resistor or omit it altogether, I just don’t like the idea of it floating while the pot is being turned…

Sounds like my theme here might be a whole bunch of unnecessary resistance all over the place… i’ll work from the lowest hanging fruit upwards.

My typical source (for the time being) will likely be some common op-amp output (Carver C2) until I get around to my tube preamp project which will tentatively be based of the Luxman CL35

I just received the Picoscope and getting accustomed to it now, so far seems like a decent piece of kit - the internal relay noises are somewhat reassuring that it's got a "real" scope front end lol.