Well I suppose the shallow vs. steep argument will just go on and on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oivavoi

This is an interesting point and goes directly to a rather lengthy discussion that we had on our local audio clubs forum.

But first let me say that designing a speaker with a DI=0 dB across its bandwidth would be extremely difficult, certainly impractical. I have heard, many times, what are considered "omni" loudspeakers and what I most disliked was their complete lack of any imaging quality.

Which brings me to the other discussion. At its root is ones personal listening taste. We settled on two camps; studio work and field recordings. In studio work there is usually a very solid concrete image created in the studio with no acoustical reference at all. It is created in the studio as a work on the canvas of the loudspeakers and as such it is theoretically possible to have a perfect reproduction of this work. Field recordings, on the other hand, can never perfectly recreate the sound field they record and the best that they can do is to create in the listening space an "illusion" of what the original sounded like. This is sometimes refereed to as the "they are here" versus "you are there" effect.

For studio work playback one wants to recreate the original image and this requires a suppression of the very early reflections and diffraction that mess up this image. The loudspeaker tone should closely match those of the studio speakers and this leads to the "circle-of-confusion" that Toole talks about, but that's another discussion. Certainly no studios use omnis for their mastering.

For field work we know that more room reflections yield a more spacious sound thus helping to create the illusion of being in the large recording space.

These two requirements are diametrically opposed and no loudspeaker design can ideally meet both. For studio work a High DI is desired and the playback room size is not a huge issue. For field work a lower DI (but still smooth and constant) is desirable and the larger the room the better the illusion.

I am a big fan of studio work and hardly ever attend live concerts of acoustic instruments, although I have attend probably 50+ in my lifetime. I find recording playback of field work of the larger venues to be disappointing when compared to the real event. So I can like a live orchestra and not like its recording.

My playback system is ideally targeted at recreating the studio image and so are my designs.

Mono-poles may work very well for orchestral work in a large room, but I neither have a large room nor care to recreate orchestral work.

You need to know where you tastes lie as this is critical to the design of the system that you should choose.

Thanks, dr. Geddes. Those are very useful and illuminating comments. They jibe very much with my own inutitive experiences. I'm an amateur musician and singer who goes to acoustic concerts all the time, so for me that is my subjective reference for "hifi". I have always felt acoustic puristic recordings to be much more natural on dipole and omni style speakers. On the other hand, I also enjoy my fair share of modern studio music in different genres, from electronica to hard rock. Those recordings feel more correct on highly directional speakers.

...which makes me realize that the only way of enjoying both types of recordings to a maximal degree is having two different setups in my home!

EDIT: These words of yours seem to me very important for people when choosing speaker/room systems:
"My playback system is ideally targeted at recreating the studio image and so are my designs. Mono-poles may work very well for orchestral work in a large room, but I neither have a large room nor care to recreate orchestral work. You need to know where you tastes lie as this is critical to the design of the system that you should choose."

Why are those kinds of dilemmas in sound reproduction for the home not more widely known and appreciated?

Last edited:
Why are those kinds of dilemmas in sound reproduction for the home not more widely known and appreciated?

I, myself, have only recently come to those conclusions. I used to believe that sound system ideal for one type of music would be ideal for all. I don;'t believe that anymore because the more I look at the issues the more I see that they are counter opposed.

The real dilemmas, and perhaps the reason that this issue is not brought up more, is what is a manufacturer supposed to do. Admit to one side or the other!? No marketing person is going to do that.

One of the key breakthroughs in my thinking stemmed from a discussion with Floyd Toole about the issue of the ideal DI. I could see that he harbored similar feelings and that his inclination was to "field recordings" as that's how he expressed all his ideas. I, on the other hand expressed all my ideas in terms that reflected "studio work". Floyd said that he often tells people to have rooms that have changeable acoustics for just this dilemma. But the loudspeakers cannot be changed (so easily) and so, to me, this dilemma has no true solution.

It's one of the reasons my main system went to a single mono speaker - trying to reproduce the ambiance of the original recording is a hard slog. You have to tame the listening room and allow the recording venue to dominate what you hear. That places a lot of constraints and I'm not interested in making such an investment. So rather than fight the room I allow the room to be the ambiance. However, In such a situation you are now fighting the recording, which your stereo system tries to impress onto the room. With a single mono speaker (open back box at that) you are saying 'to hell with the recorded ambiance', throw away the confusion and instead you embrace your listening room. Sure, there are cues in the recording, but your own listening room is given the upper hand.

I will build another pair of stereo speakers because it allows me to evaluate my stereo amplifiers that I've enjoyed building so I will end up with two set-ups in my home. One will be single speaker mono (I may try something even more 'omni' than my open-back-box in this regard as a future project) and the other will be a 'traditional' stereo set up for the sake of tradition - I also enjoy tradition, why else would I also build with both SS and with tubes :D

Last edited:
I, myself, have only recently come to those conclusions. I used to believe that sound system ideal for one type of music would be ideal for all. I don;'t believe that anymore because the more I look at the issues the more I see that they are counter opposed.

The real dilemmas, and perhaps the reason that this issue is not brought up more, is what is a manufacturer supposed to do. Admit to one side or the other!? No marketing person is going to do that.

One of the key breakthroughs in my thinking stemmed from a discussion with Floyd Toole about the issue of the ideal DI. I could see that he harbored similar feelings and that his inclination was to "field recordings" as that's how he expressed all his ideas. I, on the other hand expressed all my ideas in terms that reflected "studio work". Floyd said that he often tells people to have rooms that have changeable acoustics for just this dilemma. But the loudspeakers cannot be changed (so easily) and so, to me, this dilemma has no true solution.

Very interesting. A large company such as Harman could certainly be capable of developing and marketing different lines of speakers for different kinds of listeners. But smaller companies... not so much.

It's one of the reasons my main system went to a single mono speaker - trying to reproduce the ambiance of the original recording is a hard slog. You have to tame the listening room and allow the recording venue to dominate what you hear. That places a lot of constraints and I'm not interested in making such an investment. So rather than fight the room I allow the room to be the ambiance. However, In such a situation you are now fighting the recording, which your stereo system tries to impress onto the room. With a single mono speaker (open back box at that) you are saying 'to hell with the recorded ambiance', throw away the confusion and instead you embrace your listening room. Sure, there are cues in the recording, but your own listening room is given the upper hand.

I will build another pair of stereo speakers because it allows me to evaluate my stereo amplifiers that I've enjoyed building so I will end up with two set-ups in my home. One will be single speaker mono (I may try something even more 'omni' than my open-back-box in this regard as a future project) and the other will be a 'traditional' stereo set up for the sake of tradition - I also enjoy tradition, why else would I also build with both SS and with tubes :D

Cool approach. Seeing that you're in Ontario you could take a trip to Toronto and ask for an audition of the Morrison Audio omni speakers, if you haven't heard them already. You might be in for a surprise.

Beolab 90? Switch on the fly DI.

Certainly no studios use omnis for their mastering.

And now for something completely different - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

I have heard, many times, what are considered "omni" loudspeakers and what I most disliked was their complete lack of any imaging quality.

what "imaging" is must be VERY subjective...

For comparison, from an audiophile:

(...)
separation of instruments I had only experienced before with the Morrison omni-directional speakers
(...)
The primary and unique sonic strength of this speaker can be heard by anyone: It has the finest overall imaging I’ve ever heard.

REFERENCE COMPONENTS-SPEAKERS

from a pro (Bob Olhsson, posted by him at gearslutz forum):

Dave Moulton did a simple demo for me in a bare room that turns most of what we thought we knew about acoustic treatment and imaging right on its ear.

He had designed some speakers that deliver a flat response across 180 degrees. The imaging in the bare room was holographic, among the best I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Interesting approach. I think it's a good idea to let the listening room impart its influence, to a degree, nice to hear that small jazz combo here in my room. However, trying to nullify the recordings imagery and ambiance is a losing game I think, far better in my view a wishy-washy, sitting on the fence, kind of compromise, more achievable and perhaps even sounds more realistic

Lipshitz and Vanderkooy came to similar conclusions (soundfield reproduction choices and trade offs) 30 yrs ago, wrote a paper on it in aes. Mathematically showed you can get close to best of both worlds with 5 or more surround set up. Envelopment from stereo is like swimming with only a squirt gun.

what "imaging" is must be VERY subjective...

When listening non-blind we tend to hear what we want to hear.

Real psychoacoustic work on "imaging" is very rare. That's why Lidia and I are doing a study as we speak - trying to put some science in front of the smoke screens.

Books like Blauerts would tend to indicate that, scientifically, image should degrade with more very early lateral reflections.

DDF

(It's Dave, right?)

Living so close to Waterloo, I have known Stan and John for more like 40-50 years. They have both been guests at my home. But I can't say as I remember such a paper. Do you have a date or a title, or better yet, a link. I'd love to read it.

Hi Earl,
AES preprint 2554 (G-8) from 1987 New York 83rd convention. Haven't read it in 30 yrs, but it mathematically looks at ambisonics multichannel wavefront reconstruction vs stereo.

I knew John and Stan once (long story LOL)!

BTW, I'm a bit surprised you prefer to voice for top end roll off but don't listen to orchestral or large hall classical. Not many other venues have absorption make an impact (outdoors large festivals?). I tend to design for flatter (not flat as I think much mastering is blistering over speakers with any rise 3 to 8 kHz), listening to everything from Mahler sized orchestra works down to hard rock (which sounds terrible and "unrealistic" (if that even makes sense in this context) if too rolled off)

Dave

Dave

Its interesting that you should mention that because of an experience that I had just last night.

I went to see Saint Vincent. Initially I was not wearing ear protection and I found the sound unbearable, with distortion and god knows what else ringing in my ears. I put on a pair of Etymotic Musicians earplugs and low and behold, the sound was excellent. I have to say that this puzzled me a lot because that means that the distortion that I was hearing was in my own hearing and not in the sound system.

Not many know what recruitment is and how it works, but my suspicion for a long time is that older people (like me!!) might well have a much higher sensitivity to loud HF signals, because this is where they loose most of their hearing and where their recruitment is worst. We may actually generate distortion of high SPL HF signals. Lowering the HF gain may help this issue, so it may be a personal thing, but it actually is quite common.

oivavoi

.............Which brings me to the other discussion. At its root is ones personal listening taste. We settled on two camps; studio work and field recordings. In studio work there is usually a very solid concrete image created in the studio with no acoustical reference at all. It is created in the studio as a work on the canvas of the loudspeakers and as such it is theoretically possible to have a perfect reproduction of this work. Field recordings, on the other hand, can never perfectly recreate the sound field they record and the best that they can do is to create in the listening space an "illusion" of what the original sounded like. This is sometimes refereed to as the "they are here" versus "you are there" effect....

......You need to know where you tastes lie as this is critical to the design of the system that you should choose.

Thank you. This illuminates for me a rather dim awareness I had about differing and strongly held views on this site. I do not align myself with Dr Geddes' preferences, but can now completely understand that view.

And Big'un has put forward the view that I do align with.

And all on a thread with, for me, a very unpromising sounding title. Great stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.