Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Keres I already have the USB module on my board. It has a PCM2706 on it I think. Have not tried it out yet.
I did want an Xmos board for my DAC7 board but decided to buy an external USB to spdif module ( CM6631 chip). I bought the DAC7 as a kit ( big mistake !) and so it's taking a long time completing it. Still plodding on with that .
I have several other DAC's here. Need to sit down one day and compare them. :)

Hello

I´m using single AK4399 ,ready built version . Only using orginal OP amps NE5534 I get acceptable sound AD827 (runs hot than hell) Opa 827 /627 TLE LME4972 ad797 Lacks frequenzy response and normal dynamics ,or sounds muddy ? I ordered allready dual version ,see what happens . Maybe somebody has advise ?

papparazzi

be carefull with internet shops

Hi guys, I just want to warn you about something.

I became interested in the dual AK4399 DAC, also discussed in this thread, and when searching ebay it wasn't offered at the time (now it is). So I went looking for it elsewhere and I found this Chinese shop: hifiwow.com . I preferred buying at ebay, but since it wasn't offered I took the risk and ordered the DAC pcb and transformer. Better not! After ordering you get a decent invoice, all seems well, they make use of shop application software, but they just take your money and never send the goods. Impossible to contact the shop, etc. etc. The paypal account is: cnpowerseller(at)yahoo.com. Money lost. Not nice.

It seems that our hobby of DIY Audio has also got the attention of certain persons with no good intentions at all, conman. After all, I learned a lesson, but I'll never have these guys take my joy away in diy audio. So I'm planning to order the same DAC again, on ebay this time.

Cheers, Thank you.

Last edited:

I became interested in the dual AK4399 DAC, also discussed in this thread, and when searching ebay it wasn't offered at the time (now it is). So I went looking for it elsewhere and I found this Chinese shop: hifiwow.com . I preferred buying at ebay, but since it wasn't offered I took the risk and ordered the DAC pcb and transformer. Better not! After ordering you get a decent invoice, all seems well, they make use of shop application software, but they just take your money and never send the goods. Impossible to contact the shop, etc. etc. The paypal account is: cnpowerseller(at)yahoo.com. Money lost. Not nice.

It seems that our hobby of DIY Audio has also got the attention of certain persons with no good intentions at all, conman. After all, I learned a lesson, but I'll never have these guys take my joy away in diy audio. So I'm planning to order the same DAC again, on ebay this time.

Cheers, Thank you.
That really sucks!

Next time you'd better use DX or Aliexpress. Purchases done by these platforms are secure.

Cheers, Thank you.
There is a lot of information missing here. When was the item purchased and when did the associated invoice state it was shipped? Did you you request a shipping method that utilizes a traceable system? Did you double check the address you used? Does your border require a phone number to contact you for brokerage or taxes to complete shipment? Why not open a dispute with PayPal? As to these Chinese sellers, my advice is still to avoid their non-existent customer satisfaction guarantees. When I see these overseas sellers' ads on eBay and the Chinese sites, the descriptions are typically generic and 100 words or less, followed by a novel about how the sellers are not liable for anything.

Last edited:
bottom line: they are over there, you are (not) and you can't effectively sue them or punish them.

ebay and paypal are the only ways to make this work and even then, its a gamble.

return shipping is cost prohibitive and unless they have a local proxy who can accept returns in your country, you will be screwed.

I once bought a laptop battery from a guy in china via ebay. it turned out to be a fake (of course) and would not work well with my laptop. I documented it with photos and submitted the claim to paypal. they told me to return it to the shipper. I did, and it was not cheap to ship a laptop battery back to china! my mistake was: I didn't use the more expensive shipping and the 'tracking' only showed that it left the US but nothing beyond that. I was misled by the postal guy who assured me that this shipping method was fully traceable. he either was an idiot or he lied to me. in any case, I waited weeks for the 'tracking' to update and it never did. the seller OF COURSE denied he even got the battery back and so I was out the cost AND the battery.

paypal did cover me, but only with a so-called 'one time exception' (which is usually just talk; if you press them and have a valid case, that 'one time' exception can be made again at their discretion).

it left a very bad taste in my mouth and I try not to buy anything heavy from china if I can avoid it. I buy things I can afford to lose and nothing critical or expensive.

its sad but its really a 'wild wild west' out there and there is little recourse if you get screwed.

some sellers are starting to wise-up and have local proxies to ship from your country and take returns back from your country. those are the sellers I prefer to deal with, but its still a tiny minority.

china: you need to 'grow up' and follow the ethical standards of the west if you want our business in a big way. this 'sell and run' stuff has got to change! you are getting a very bad name. do you care, at all? do you? I wonder if they do.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
china: you need to 'grow up' and follow the ethical standards of the west if you want our business in a big way.........

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.......You are kidding, aren't you ?

China sends the huge ship in the picture with 15,000 containers in 5 DAYS ! Then it returns EMPTY to China for the next 15,000 containers. The buyer Wallmart.......and there are many more ! So DIY complaints are just ONE drop ( or less!) in the ocean. Such a pity !;) Otherwise maybe we could have introduced an 'embargo' ! :)

Attachments

• Maersk Line.jpg
    Maersk Line.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 524
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I mentioned earlier that I have the DAC9 with single 4399. Sounds nice but nothing exceptional. Does anyone have a schematic of the opamp output stage ? I'm guessing it might just be an unaltered implementation of the app. note.
I find transients have less bite than the output of my Bluray player. Will do some serious comparisons soon. I must also put in a NE5534 to 'hear' what all the fuss is about .

Ashok what is exactly the board that you have? Have you a link?
The fact you have a board with akm 4399 it is not tell me mutch.
i have the board with ak 4113 + akm 4399 + xmos and it is very good imho.
Perhaps we are speaking about different gear.
Ciao

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK I'm not sure this is DAC9 !:)
It uses AK4399 + PCM2706 + WM8805 . So it's different from your DAC. Output stage uses OPA627's. It appears to be a copy from the application note. What opamp do you have in the output ?

Attachments

• rsz.php.jpg
    rsz.php.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 511
The China story

There is a lot of information missing here. ...... Why not open a dispute with PayPal?
Yes, you're right. I opened a dispute, but the seller doesn't reply until now. The invoice did mention a shipping date, but that was just the same date of the purchase (automatically generated invoice). The shipment carrier was shown, but no tracking or something. In the end, when you add all things up, there's not much to count upon and I guess I'm just misled and being lifted. I would be really surprised if a package from China arrives, after 6 weeks, although it has more weight than packages I received from China in the past, without any trouble. So I had in general a positive experience with buying from China, from Ebay.

Anyway, I posted this story just to try to prevent others from making the same mistake as I did, or, better put, what very likely is a mistake. Next time I would like to have some more insurance...

esgigt: Thanks for the tips on alternatives for paypal.

Right now China is considered a "high risk" country to buy from. Large companies have established connections and keep western members on Red soil to maintain some discipline. Without that, there is no order and they churn out whatever crap people will open their wallets to, whilst making impressive claims that the products do not live up to. I work for a company that places a "Manufactured in USA" label on the rear of every machine it produces, but most of our components, including chassis, circuit boards, screens, all come from Mainland China. We have a rejection rate of 50% over in the production facility due to defective parts right out of the packaging from China. They cannot design to save themselves and are left to clone everyone else's components.

Exercise caution on BuyChina.com, too. The site would be great if customer service and sellers replied to customer inquiries, but for the past five weeks my repeated messages have been met with silence. I came to find that is the normal structure there, and getting your item is hit and miss. There is no order or structure when China enters the equation. Conducting business with them is like dealing with a child or someone with a learning impairment. I am not swinging a thin derogation, I'm being realistic. They care nothing for their own reputation nor the possibility of repeat sales. Their business model offers zero respect for intellectual property, nor the safety of the end consumer.

Two days ago I came across a current thread here on diyaudio where a fellow in China is selling a group buy of DAC boards. Someone recognized the boards and found out it was a copy of a production unit. Ask yourself how would you feel if someone stole your design? The seller/thread creator carried on and didn't even care when people began backing out of the group buy. They are all about that single-time sale. People who buy these things fall into the same halo as part of a perpetual motion machine of greed and deceit. I only ask that people think twice and consider that there are better options.

Last edited:
Your welcome...

But on shipping.. Recently I received a package after some 2 month...

That's really long time...never waited that long. I see you're in the Netherlands too. Hmmm ... what bothers me still is that the seller doesn't reply any mail or contact form on the site. I just lost my trust, it doesn't feel good.
But I certainly keep you informed , if the story would turn out a positive in the end, although I've not much hope it would...

kouiky: Thanks for your comments as well. About that group buy: didn't know that was the reason for backing out. Pretty shocking.

Interestingly enough AliExpress has been the worse with getting their seller to ship ontime - at least according to American standards. But, then we want everything yesterday! Waiting a week is just out of the question. :)

I've been using a single source ebay seller for 3 years now and he's absolutely the best business man and proprietor I've dealt with from mainline China. He has what I want and will combine shipping costs when ordering multiple items. Many eBay vendors won't. He consistently even reimburses me money when combine shipping is involved and he will ship DHL Express for a bit more $. Packages come in about 4 days when shiped by DHL. His DIY products are some of the best I've found (although I do use a few other sellers for speciality items) and provides limited tech/email support. He's got a very extensive inventory of amps, pre-amps, DACs, enclosures, PSU, blank PCBs, and even full kits. If I can't find what I'm after a quick email usually solves the problem.

I don't just recommend... I HIGHLY recommend along and his company's presence on eBay. Trustworthy, fair, provides tracking and above all I believe him to be a honest man. - Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.