Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally I came to the DAC, rather DAC Board came a long time, I thought transformer buy in Russia, but still had to order r-core, was too lazy to go to the market . Now about sound in comparison with AD1853 discrete exhaust in class a, without feedback. Gathered in, turned on the table and froze, sound like in a car like the BMW X5, I heard from a friend, a lot of bass, a lot of high... very bad high, they are not accurate, tender, and as if with a barely perceptible hearing distortions, it does seem as if, instead of the good amplifier amplifier to listen to TDA7294 inclusion in regular, hard and sharp . After read about OPA627 as a measure to understand that it's fake or not. turned out to be a fake. But in principle I do not doubt that the Chinese have established such an expensive original operational amplifier. set proven LME46710 and sound changed. He was not worse AD1853. Soft and unobtrusive, not cutting hearing. So don't listen to as long as more I can not write. But it seems microdynamics better.

I'm interested in using the AK4399, but not with op-amp output. I'd be looking to use either a transformer output or run the output directly into the grids of a tube stage. Can anyone help with examples of this, and a wiring diagram?

Here is one example of transformer output - just says "Lundahl amorphous transformer", no mention of which.
[/url]

Hi, Andy,

Have you tried this (or another) AK4399 board with transformer output?
Any comparison to op-amp output?

I replaced all analogue/digital decoupling caps from cerafine/silmic (opamp n dac) to ero mkt 1820/63vdc -small enough to put close and soldered them directly to pins bypassed with ero kp1830 0,1uf and ....... Wow... Never again a electrolytic. Sounds so "real and analogue" this is by far the best mod i've been doing on this card (ak4399+is2 xmos)

Yeah! Thx. I consider Ero caps one of the best. All caps around opamps is ero kp1830 too. (220/680pf) little more open then wimas fkps that was original caps.

Also all cerafines that were red i replaced to newest black cerafine= better low and more low freq. Im also gonna try to replace all 220uf/100uf after LT1085 reg for ak4399 psu with arcotronics r60/r75. It tronics in germany is the one to get cheap film caps from. Check ebay.,

Maybe a pic?

Looks a bit messy but works really great. Very musical and engaging sound now with lots of depths. Electrolytics sounds grainy and stiff, doesn't matter the brand or quality!

Not included in this pic is the 4x 10nF bypasses (Ero kp1830) for opamps that I added. Tony Gee's tip also is included for caps decoupling i can hear clearly. They are staying.

Left to do is to remove those two (1x 220uf Cerafine and 1x Muse KZ) after LT1085 regulator to Arcotronics R60. It's a MKT manufactured specially for Canton's x-over that's laying around so why not try. Will be tough to fit in there though;)

Have also some OPA1611/1641 to try out. Just need to get my thumb out of my *** to do some soldering on some browndogs :D See if they are any better then Opa228 that is my favourite for long time (and opa2228 for other projects)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
Does anybody have experience using the USB input from a Mac? I have a Mac Mini. I had an email from Yao which suggested there were issues but that it might be possible. As he says, he hasn't tested it.

"Thanks for your message. The XMOS does not support Mac very well. Some say it can work, but some say it can not. I have no Mac I am not sure. Regards, Yao"

I think from memory other XMOS boards have supported Mac - anyone?

I replaced all analogue/digital decoupling caps from cerafine/silmic (opamp n dac) to ero mkt 1820/63vdc -small enough to put close and soldered them directly to pins bypassed with ero kp1830 0,1uf and ....... Wow... Never again a electrolytic. Sounds so "real and analogue" this is by far the best mod i've been doing on this card (ak4399+is2 xmos)

Max, are you aware that those film caps are so big that the added inductance of leads impair their decoupling effectiveness?

If you want to follow the film caps path maybe you should try Wima MKS2XL (5mm lead spacing)

Max, are you aware that those film caps are so big that the added inductance of leads impair their decoupling effectiveness?

If you want to follow the film caps path maybe you should try Wima MKS2XL (5mm lead spacing)

Yes, i'm aware that is not "perfect" but anyhow it sounds that much better i can live with it. I did the best of the situation and these caps cost me almost nothing.

Original the caps are also located to "far away" to be effective.

Thx for your maybe one day i'll try those wimas.

Original the caps are also located to "far away" to be effective.

This could have some merit for the opamps, you should try a 100nF 5mm LS decoupling cap between opamp's rails (direct on pins) and remove elcos at all... it could work pretty well with stable opamps.

But for the AK4399 you need real decoupling, those big, chunky film caps there are useless, worse, detrimental... put back the original caps, they're pretty good for the job. ;)

Dual Mono AK4399 kit with LCD Display

Hi,

Is there anyone interested with this dual mono AK4399 dac kit? Sellers say it has volume control feature via 3 buttons panel. I also see a IR remote control receiver near the LCD display. That thing leads me to think that kit a has remote control feature, but I'm not sure. I asked one seller but he said no. A bit confusing. I have to to ask actual designers.

Attachments

• T2aOsgXXhbXXXXXXXX_!!467959225.jpg
    T2aOsgXXhbXXXXXXXX_!!467959225.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
This could have some merit for the opamps, you should try a 100nF 5mm LS decoupling cap between opamp's rails (direct on pins) and remove elcos at all... it could work pretty well with stable opamps.

But for the AK4399 you need real decoupling, those big, chunky film caps there are useless, worse, detrimental... put back the original caps, they're pretty good for the job. ;)

Hi,
Clave woud t you be so kind and have a look on the dual Mono 4399 ;)

I have a pair of the ak4399 ebay dacs (dac9). they seem to be ok and a friend did an informal rmaa test and it was ok, from what I remember. I may do my own rmaa later on, once I find my audio test boxes (packed from my last house move, still not found yet).

I run a dcx2496 XO with spdif-in and dual spdif-out. the outs go into my 2 dacs and then into a cs3318 DIY vol control and finally into a multichannel amp.

I did not have a lot of success with the dac7. I used the same config, a pair of dac7's, but there were really bad rmaa results from the 2 of them. I built one using fresh, clean mouser parts and the other one was pre-built from china. both had problems of their own. I gave up on them ;(

the dac9 seems ok, so far. I still need to retest it, but it seems much better than dac7.

(I still have a spare dac7 board and parts kit, if anyone wants to buy it from me. I planned to build 2 of them myself and the pre-built one was for a friend, but I never built the 2nd one and it looks like I never will, now).

Hi,

Is there anyone interested with this dual mono AK4399 dac kit? Sellers say it has volume control feature via 3 buttons panel. I also see a IR remote control receiver near the LCD display. That thing leads me to think that kit a has remote control feature, but I'm not sure. I asked one seller but he said no. A bit confusing. I have to to ask actual designers.

worst case, you can wire up a separate ir receiver and controller (I prefer arduinos, lol) and have that trigger the 3 push buttons. its a bit indirect but then again, you'd have access to the source code and can have the IR system do other things, to other boxes in your stereo.

you'll never get source code from ebayers in china. it seems counter-cultural for them to share. I hate saying it, but its true. they don't even want to give schematics away, its like pulling teeth, asking them for one after you bought their gear. I really hate that ;(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.