Warp-1 Amp

Living Sounds Audio Warp 1 Review - by Michael Lang
https://stereo-magazine.com/review/living-sounds-audio-warp-1-review

Portapapeles01.png

[ Let's take Brahm's 3rd Symphony under Riccardo Muti as a starting point. In the Allegro, we enjoy the passionately and powerfully performing orchestra, the richness of timbre, the dynamic shadings, the rumbling of the drums on the large stage presented by Warp 1 for a few minutes.

All the while waiting full of anticipation for the big moment, the performance of the magnificent Jessye Norman in Opus 53, the Rhapsody for Alto, Chorus and Orchestra. It is quite astonishing how emotionally this powerful dwarf – which is not too expensive and could even be described as very affordable compared to various competitors –, handles Norman's voice. At the same time, it does not treat the accompanying string instruments of various character carelessly even for a second, but always establishes the inner connection between the singer and the orchestra. We were finally fully enchanted when, after about 7 minutes, a choir subtly but effectively intervened in the action. There, too, nothing was blurred, the tonal balance was not thrown off balance, and the lightness of the performance was preserved. ]

Reactions: 1 user
As an owner of this amp, I'm very happy with it...but as a hobbyist I'm always adding gear trying things out. So I have a crazy amount of amps, Based on your knowledge what would be considered a sonic step up from this amp for great sounding 2 channel music? I use a streamer (Wiim Pro) as a source and a few different dacs....LSA 50, 80 speakers, gallo 3.1, Klipsch Quartets, BMR Philharmonic monitors too.....Any suggestions in the class d realm, purify, hypex?
Thanks for such great work!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I would say you are ready try Class A and I have the A40 in the works. 40WPC info 8ohms. If you need something more powerful and has some organic tube character but still low distortion, try the Emerald Physics 600.2SE. That’s probably an end game amp. 600wpc - slamming bass and superb sounding. Can be switched to solid state input with flip of switch.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/emerald-physics-600-2se.384121/

The EP600 is in stock and ready to ship.

I have a Warp-1 and Dynaudio Evoke 10, Sonus Faber Lumina II, and Falcon Q7 standmounts. But over the past few months my kit-building urge got the better of me and I built an Elekit TU-8200r, upgraded it, was so pleased with its ~8 Watts SE I built 2 Pass Amp Camp Amps (class A, similar power but monoblock operation). In both cases I was very surprised at how well the little amps drove my moderate to inefficient speakers, especially after key upgrades. I have a small listening room and don't play very loud music, so of course that helps, but the class A sound quality has made me a believer.

In the mean time 'some' things have changed over here. I have recently acquired a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C2 II. I am driving these speakers with an Naim Atom HE preamp, connected to my LSA Warp One with an AQ Pegasus XLR interlink. The Warp One is driving the speakers in an almost unbelievable way. I could not be more happy with the sound. The soundstage is so 3D that the speakers totally disappear. At first I was afraid that the Atom HE and Warp One combination was maybe not up to the task, but was I wrong. The soundstage is wide, deep and the sound is dynamic, detailed but also relaxing at the same time. I know these speakers very well - as a very dear friend of mine who passed away bought them new - and they have been driven by a Classé CP-800mkII and CA-2300 before. I dare to say my front-end sounds maybe different but as good.

I have also tried the Warp One at another friend's place and he owns a pair of Focal Scala Utopia Evo which he now drives with the before mentioned Classé CA-2300 and the Warp sounded almost as good. A little less analytical, but more powerful in the bass. The latter is a really good thing with my Confidence C2 speakers, which can sound a bit thin in the bass department. But not with the Warp One: the bass sounds powerful and refined at the same time.

Suppose you can read between the lines that I am still very happy and impressed with my Warp One.

All the best from The Netherlands,
BR, Richard

Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As long as you are using a quality power cord with real pure copper conductors of at least 16ga wires with a protective earth ground, it should sound fine. A 14ga cord might give a little more better bass response if you play very loud.

You might consider using a digitally controlled relay as a fuse instead of having all the power go through the tiny little fuse wire. The Swiss Digital Fuse Box works very well for this.

https://verafiaudiollc.com/products/best-audio-products/swiss-digital-fuse-box-52299809