Walt Jung shunt Design

Hello. I use an OPA1641, on the R13 I measured 1.2V. before the dn2540 I measure 11.5V
OPA1641 can't run on 5V with 2.5V ref or need a reference below 1.5V ,because of that, you don't have 5V at the output, but 5.22V

Attachments

• opa1641 Vcm.png
    opa1641 Vcm.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 105
Unfortunately no, you should change the type of LED and maybe the pnp transistor, I haven't tried it so I can't guarantee anything.
So far, it is easier to change the op.amp.
Opamp replaced with an AD817, stable output voltage at 4.97V. Voltage on R4 1V as per Walt Jung specifications, on Pin3 of the opamp 2.48V. I think we are there, can these 0.03V missing at the output affect?

The difference is less than 1%, which is great, so there are no problems with the output voltage of 4.97V.
Perfect, now I will test it in conditions of continuous use to check that there are no problems, in the meantime I will start the construction of the negative board. The last step will be to optimize the final pcb, shortening the connections. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello
Here is the final pcb, I changed the arrangement of the components to shorten the tracks as much as possible, I added two cap to the power lines, in the positive rail we have an rc filter. I corrected the sizing of the Dale resistors, which were bigger, The inputs and outputs are intentionally without connectors, I always prefer to solder the wires directly. The dimensions are the same about 5x8 cm. Any further advice is welcome.

Attachments

• V6 Negative.png
    V6 Negative.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 184
  • V6 Positive.png
    V6 Positive.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 188
Waiting to order the new pcb, I was looking for further improvements to the circuit, and I was wondering how useful it would be to implement a cascode with bias multipler. From Mr. Jung's writings we notice an improvement of 10dB at low frequency compared to a classic cascode.

Attachments

• Cascode.jpg
    Cascode.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 254
Tix88, small guidelines from me, this is my last PCB for WJ shunt, dimensions are 40X30mm, single sided PCB with ground plane.
I had already added CCS with 2SK246 for LM4040 which was later replaced with GLED431. Also the 100uF located next to the LM4040 should be UKZ 100uF / 25V so it needs a little more space.
Can You please share that small version of pcb in Eagle format and last version? What about preformance in analog sections or analog circuits?. Did You try it in that way?

Waiting to order the new pcb, I was looking for further improvements to the circuit, and I was wondering how useful it would be to implement a cascode with bias multipler. From Mr. Jung's writings we notice an improvement of 10dB at low frequency compared to a classic cascode.
Cascode with bias multipler I mentioned the page before and gave an example with BSP149 and BSS159, otherwise a very good upgrade.

btw; I made a new test PCB, 32x35mm, all resistors are MELF0204 except R1,2 which are RN55 and two 1R which I will replace with 1W MELF in the future.
This version has the same ,cascode with bias multipler but slightly different reference and OPA1641 which now works great.

Attachments

• jfet shunt3.jpg
    jfet shunt3.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 120