Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...Not a hint of warmth, transient suppression or glare but perhaps they attract a bit more attention to the leading edges. Cannot think of another resistor i would rather use at a phono stage input.

Anyway, never had equipment built exclusively with foils unlike some other contributors here. And i seem to prefer mixing various resistors in order to avoid the accumulation of similar signatures.......

Thank you.

When you say phono stage input, do you mean the loading resistors?

And I'll keep the last part of your reply as a general advice. It makes sense.

Last edited:
Is the idea to make random subtle changes away from the available signal in the hope that it fools our perception in some unknowable way into finding the sound better?

There's a point where one has to draw the line.
Humans can be neurotic and compulsive and that can keep some poeple entirely obsessed with certain things.

So, is it worth it trying to evaluate the minor (or even minute) ways electronic parts affect the perception of sound?

Would it be a lot wiser to invest the same amount of time and effort in just enjoying the music without too much fuss?

It's when science starts believing too much in itself.
And acquires the character of a religion.

It starts shaping dogmas that are inflexible and becomes 'sinful' to think differently.
All opinions that are contrarian are silenced and labelled as 'heretic'.

^^^^
Old Heraclitus, had one hell ofa time there in Ehpesus, surrounded as he was the the sophists (puke),, on one occasion he abandoned the town council meeting,,and later was found by elder members playing with the kids,, <<Council:please come back and help us sort out this conundrum,,,,,,/Hera: No, I;'d rather play knucklebones (marble type game) with these young kids than politics with you kunckleheads>>>

People love dogmas, which are nothing but stale 1/2 truths.

I just had a hernia + 2 other operatiosn same area, 2 weeks ago,.
Post op had issues.
There was no need to pump 1 gallon of that green cholorphill crap in my intestine in order to move the bowls,, 1 quart would have been more than enough,,,dang nearly died from that over kill injection,, among other things like a bag of electrolytes,,FOR WHAT??? I was not depleted from minerals playing 3 hrs of tennis, Besides no one even asked me if I wanted electros,,, then they gave me this and that to counter the stomach nausea/spasms...Luckily I was smart enough to disconnect the IV's , drink some water from the sink (water was denied to me) and start a slow puking process, thatnkfully i got out 3 pukes of that deadly conconcotion.
Science can be wonderfully , but not when no one is running the show with wisdon and understanding of each patients needs....not to mention the fear of having a rogue nurse,,which 2 of the 5 were rogue.
If I did not puke that green toxic stuff up, I would have been another 3-4 days in that trap...AS they demanded I hold anything down as food, but could not in any way with green stuff loaded by gut.
Science is only as good as the man behind the uniform.

And i like Shinkoh, even though they are obviously coloured

^^^
Shinkoh = Tantaulum
I had a good huch Tants added something,, THANKFULLY
The tech guy who was in my mods for $$$$, I did not follow his URGING,,<<<try tantalums,, i've heard they are really great>>>>
In my limited exp,, resistors with dif composition carbon vs tantalum vs metal , each material has a certain influence on the voicing character.
Jadis uses metal for a reason. Obviously they tested all avaliable resistors and found metal to give the voicing character they were looking for.
If I had soldering skills, I would pick up both Takman Roy (carbon) and swap out with Takman Rey's , just to see how each impacts the sound in the DPL linestage....
But based on the Defy' 7's carbon film experiement, ,,that assured me, each material making up the res has some definite noticable influence.

Would it be a lot wiser to invest the same amount of time and effort in just enjoying the music without too much fuss?

^^^
I understand where you are comming from,,audiophiles do get carried away with some tweaks which can be quite expensive,,and really make no gains whatsoever..
My thing behind all this upgrades,,is to see if i can <<Hot Rod>> stock components and make some nice gains in freqency resolution, sound stage, dynamics,,,This way I can actually hear some very subtle, passages in Schnittke, Pettersson, Schoenberg, Elliott Carter which in the <<pre upgrade mode>> may not have been noticable nor voiced with clarity.
^^^
Again , I do agree, lets get back to enjoying the music, less concerned over upgrades, after the majors have been completed.

upgrades can be a risky adventure for those like myself who have no soldering skills.
Thats why this site is so valuable as a reference point in making discoveries in how each lab's components sound in a circuit.
I havea tube amp, ////cabron res have a certain smoothness in their charater,,, tubes havea certain smoothness.
so adding smooth to a already smooth sounding circuit, makes the sound too warm.

Not sure what you mean...<,cause>>?

Smooth = bland/warm, grates my nerves. /freqency dynamics diminished. = Example B& W speakers,= bland, smmoth, warm, can't stand = not even Mundorfm Suprene EVO can help that speaker,, at least not to my criterion.

Last edited:
The technical reasons, frequency response and/or distortions.

That is the realm of scientists.
But think of it for a moment.
What kind of enterprise would grant the needed sums of money for serious research into the technical reasons that can affect the perception of music reproduction by electronics?

The research done in that particular field is understandably limited and borrows principles and methods that have been developed mostly from other fields of applied electronics. Usually it is derived from research in military applications. This is where real, hardcore research is done with little respect for established dogmas in science. And that is possibly the single reason why it so often drives everything else forward.

However, I am positive that at some point some random development in a field other than that of audio electronics might shed more light into the ways electronic parts affect human perception of music reproduction. Other than the usual distortion and signal fidelity measurements that we know of today.

Last edited:
Audio Precision has done the research in audio distortion. They want the best performing audio analyzers.

In their analyzers they want the best possible distortion performance. They use the lowest TCR surface mount resistors, 1206 and larger. They use several resistors in series to reduce the voltage and power drop across each individual resistor. Reduced power drop means less temperature change and less thermally caused distortion.

This is Sunday I will say that is all vanity and it has all been done before.

Thanks DT

The technical reasons, frequency response and/or distortions.

^^^^
I have no lab test equipment.
My hobby consists in snaging good deasl on used compoents of high musical reputation and then <<Hot Rodding>> to squeeze out abit more nuamnces, bits of high fidelity.
Results: so far so good,, except for the $550 Zfoils disaster.
Example.
I specifically requested Madisound work with me in designing new Thor xovers with HIGHEST avaliable components,, I had bought a pair of used M Supreme Silver oil 10uf, and new M EVO OIl SG 8.2, the rest was on them , but i requested , price is no object..
When I got the xovers I noted the same 8.2 Bennic cap in the woffer section<<<Oh thats nothing , its only for shunt, and has absoluetly no sonic influence in the pathway.
>>>
I had Richrad Gray throw out the $2 Bennic and place ina M Supreme Aluminum. <<BINGO>> Bass note like a subwoofer./
Next up,,I noted Madisound hasa EVO Aluminum in the tweet 2.2 sopt, Threw that out and placed ina M Supreme EVO SG,, <<WINNER>>> BAM, nicer nunces well worth the extra $200.
<<Caps matter>>
Its these <<nuances>> which i am trying to acheieve in all my components.
Surely Jadis is not going to install M Supreme Evo SG .47's + F&T's in the cans (at least Jadis gives us the Philips in critical spots, best ever musical cap, ever invented, nothing even close)
Had Jadis installed M/F&T's, the price would jump sigbnificantly.
This is how i approach this hooby.
My last project, IF I can convince Ricahrd to take ona cd player,,,oh how he hates cd mods,,,the Shanling remains my final component to Hot Rod. Except for the slow install of Takman res in the DPL,,which is the way Richard says to go,,one value res at a time,,ck to see how it agrees with me.
Here's the DPL
this is with the stock Hovalnd xovers in the Thors.
music starts at 6:51
The top of the DPL is off earlier on, please see new M EVO SG caps.
JADIS DPL MUNDORF SILVERGOLD CAPS - YouTube

Ignorance is bliss!

^^^^
The herds of humanity, this is the correct mantra,
But for us, the seekers of higher musical fidelity, we share our knowledge, based on experience.

Thats opinions based on your perfect hearing, right? And then what do I do with all the different opinions from all the other perfect hearing individuals on this site? I guess Ill ignore them because the true messiah is right here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.