Vifa XT25 speakers project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm waiting for my VSSA to come to complete my new amplifier. I thought about new speakers too and made a research into projects. I have a pair of XT-25Tg30-04 I would like to use. I have a pretty small room and the maximum width of speakers can be 27cm. Basically, I can't go into big speakers (they are also standing on a cupboard) so I thought about a 2-way or open baffle. I thought open baffle would be a nice idea, but one speaker is standing close to the edge of walls, and I think that would cause much more problems in open-baffle than in closed box. Am I right?

I don't need a deep bass, but a lot of space and good mids. I like rather slow-piano-keyboards sounds and I thought that small midwoofers like PL18 won't do this - I looked at Troels projects, but speakers are pretty small. I look for something about 25-30 liters. Have you ever found a project like this? I can't afford anything more than 70 euro per speaker. Or maybe an open-baffle is possible? I would like to try that one...

Is there a replacement woofer for the PL14WJ-09-08?

Also, this is very good 2-way; not a lot of bass, but really nice, natural sound.
(click around page for schematic, etc.)

The Madisound Speaker Store

Attachments

• May 14th 4.jpg
    May 14th 4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Tweeters on the bookshelf

In my last build I had similar problems where the boxes were to be on a bookshelf and close to wall. After listening to many options I found that having the tweeter in a waveguide as described by Zaph worked the best for avoiding reflection from the wall. This was the only option that had reasonable imaging and clarity. I used a scanspeak dome but the Vifa tweeter is supposed to be quite good for this.

Waveguide I think will raise up response in some range? And would need additional tweaking? I will look at that though, seems pretty interesting. Big thanks!

A wave guide solves so many problems that in my opinion, its silly not to use one. Dave Pellegrene has a 6x4" guide that will allow a 2000 cross or the 8x6 I used to cross lower to a Seas 7" poly cone that has little to no break up and a really clean low end. A simple 3.3 to 4.0 cap will hammer the response back to near normal and it takes the distortion down with it. The seas is a bit out of your budget but you can find used drivers too. Just throwing ideas out to research.

The Madisound Speaker Store

Here is my build. The thread didn't get much of a reaction but at least it illustrates what the wave guide does and how it attaches. I hope its of use to you:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/241286-my-first-wave-guide-speaker-lots-pics.html

The wave guide increases dispersion to be excellent anywhere in the room and cleans up the low end of the XT25. It lifts the response 8-9db in the low and middle tweeter range making it work with a fraction of the power the unit normally needs making it really clean sounding.

Good luck with the build. The XT25 is my favorite tweeter

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.