VFET Chassis limited production run

Also note that Pa's brackets are T shaped, not L shaped. They probably do a better job of spreading the heat.

@MEPER if the VFET chassis heatsinks had two M4 holes added 44mm apart, would you use those to mount the THF-51S directly or would you still use a bracket? I'm starting to think I might order two of these, with the second one having these added holes.
Looking again at the THF-51s formfactor (which is very different from TO-3) it is a real possibility to mount the THF-51s directly at the heatsink and have easy access to all three terminals. I have the mounting "garniture" for these devices......isolators etc....

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
I'd check your shoulder washers. While the THF-51S hole is big enough for an M4 bolt (it's actually 5mm in diameter), the plastic shoulder washers I have that fit the THF-51S only accommodate an M3 bolt- they appear to have sides that are 1mm thick. I would be glad to have a part number for 5mm shoulder washers that fit an M4, as well as non-ceramic insulators.

I'd check your shoulder washers. While the THF-51S hole is big enough for an M4 bolt (it's actually 5mm in diameter), the plastic shoulder washers I have that fit the THF-51S only accommodate an M3 bolt- they appear to have sides that are 1mm thick. I would be glad to have a part number for 5mm shoulder washers that fit an M4, as well as non-ceramic insulators.
I just checked and a M4 screw fits the isolators. Why TO-3 is mentioned on the label on the small plastic back I don't know. They are much larger than TO-3 devices. If only M3 fits in your case, I guess M3 will do the job for mounting the THF-51s directly and not via a bracket.

DSC_3506.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
When I ordered the Tokin's, I also ordered the mounting "garniture".
https://www.ebay.com/usr/watanabetomoaki?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559
With current prices I should probably have ordered more than just a quad and a pair.
Oh good lord, $32+ for a pair of these shipped to the US. Idk how I missed them back when I bought my SITs. Yet I could buy 10pcs 'for a few dollars more' (read: $58).

There were what seemed like a ton of the THF-51S being given out at the BAF2022 raffle, and since I have a pair already (& had mine greedy eyes on other stuff, haha), I looked elsewhere. All of those lucky bstrds need these mounting parts if they expect to build an amp. I smell a group buy.

A future THF kit: would require an additional hole to place it directly on the heatsink. Not much work for Gianluca, just some programing. Or, the connection coule be made on the T-bar (my preference). Then the board would have a space left open for it with two appopriate holes and the whole build would be very self-contained again.

I had an email with Gianluca, where he states he is interested in the idea of a preamp chassis that matches the V-FET main chassis.
My suggestion is:
  1. 2u high, [or option 1u/2u)
  2. same total width as the front plate (but no heatsinks of course)
  3. Same depth.
  4. Same brushed front finishing. Or at least the same colour of aluminium.
  5. frontplate 2 mm (so knobs can be put on it, selectors, without running in trouble because of a thick 10mm plate where many things would not fit is my experience)
  6. backplate 2 mm, with an array of two lines of 5 holes that are for cinch plugs (for in/out) and if you want balanced, you must increase the size of the hole yourself . . .)
  7. I prefer 2 mm top and bottom aluminium. But could be iron. But needs a line of ventilation. Could match the form of the existing holes (where the top plate is less wide)
  8. well, then alu sides simple plate just finishes it off.
  9. you have to find you own feet :) so they are in line with your requirements.
  10. Holes with matching bolts. . Nothing fancy though.
If there is some interest, I will start another thread, derek, to keep the strain off this thread.
albert

Vunce, I do understand, but a 'kit' like the B1K full kit would involve some party (DIY-store? ZM? Mark Johson just to name a few from a long list) that offers one specific kit and a specific card. Like a B1 for instance; or indeed a multitude other things (you know, what I will try next, a LU1014-follower with a choke so I need the 2U :cool: )

But any build of a preamp needs standard things on the front (excluding those who have the IR remote stuff):
  1. a volume knob
  2. a selector
  3. a power on switch (What I do: my power switch engages a relais that swithes on the power to the output)
  4. a hole for a LED (small like 1 mm requires special LEDs; I prefer 4mm opening with a real LED but it is easy to expand)
  5. on the back also a power plug (to smps or else. . .)
Some preamps can stay on indefinitely.