derekr 3
ranshdow 1
chromenuts 2
OtisCampbell 1
Kannan_s 1
Winyl 2
Eddie18 - 1
@Winyl - 2 (he has sent me a PM)

Great news, the MOQ has been reached! Now I am going to let some other days pass to see if other members want to jump in as we need to know the exact number of chassis we need to produce and there may still be someone who is interested

Reactions: 1 users
There are no mount holes properly spaced on a UMS drilled chassis to directly mount the THF-51S. To the best of my ability to measure, the mount holes on a THF-51S and 2SK180 are 44mm apart.
I was hoping that a kit included a bracket to mount the THF-51s (like the VFET kit).
If I did the brackets myself then maybe heat could be split between the two heatsinks so current source device on one side and THF-51s on the other?
Then it would be mono blocks.

Name / Number of chassis wanted

derekr 3
ranshdow 1
chromenuts 2
OtisCampbell 1
Kannan_s 1
Winyl 2
Eddie18 - 1
@Winyl - 2 (he has sent me a PM)

Great news, the MOQ has been reached! Now I am going to let some other days pass to see if other members want to jump in as we need to know the exact number of chassis we need to produce and there may still be someone who is interested
MEPER 2 (for building the THF-51S amps as mono blocks)

Now I did it......then will see how it goes. Unassembled it does not take up much space but where to place all those amps.
My "wine collection" also takes up space........a lot of Brunello and Châteauneuf-du-Pape. But I guess we could find a solution to that problem.
The M2X mono blocks in 5U chassis takes up a lot of space.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I was hoping that a kit included a bracket to mount the THF-51s (like the VFET kit).
If I did the brackets myself then maybe heat could be split between the two heatsinks so current source device on one side and THF-51s on the other?
Then it would be mono blocks.
So, I tried the bracket approach with THF-51S, and I wasn't happy with the heat transfer. Granted my brackets were on the thin side, 1/8" or ~3.5mm, which is thinner than the ones in the Sony VFET DIY kit. Maybe a thicker bracket would do a better job. Maybe ZM can comment.

When I finally build something permanent with these I'm mounting the flat face of the THF-51S and 2SK180 directly to the heat sink.

IMG_7512.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you have area - and you have - better to tap M4s in heatsink for Tokin and bolt it directly to sink; to ease your life - you can shoot with holes between ribs, so though-hole possible, mucho easier for drilling and tapping

if not, pay with pain - minimum L bracket thickness is 5mm, 40*40 as minimum, 50*50 better and no less than 150mm in length

I mean - see Pa - he did study Physics and got Degree , hoping he can cheat it ........ and he ended using big chunks of Aluminum ..... no way of cheating Da Physics

:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Also note that Pa's brackets are T shaped, not L shaped. They probably do a better job of spreading the heat.

@MEPER if the VFET chassis heatsinks had two M4 holes added 44mm apart, would you use those to mount the THF-51S directly or would you still use a bracket? I'm starting to think I might order two of these, with the second one having these added holes.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member