Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veganism is a style of life!
I have researched the meaning of 'style of life' with the help of Wikipedia (Style of life - Wikipedia) and have come up with the following. Feel free to disagree! :innocent:

The 'style of life' adopted by vegans may be regarded as the socially useful type: people with a great deal of social interest and activity.

This style is distinct from the other three styles: ruling type; getting type and avoiding type, each of which is characterised by a lack of socially constructive activity.

Apparently 'style of life' should not be confused with 'lifestyle'. The meaning of 'lifestyle' is "a person's basic character as established early in childhood". For instance, high income parents are more likely to eat organic food, have time to exercise, and provide the best living condition to their children. On the other hand, low income parents are more likely to participate in unhealthy activities such as smoking to help them release poverty-related stress and depression.

Or perhaps they utilize a form of self imposed "Emotional blackmail"?
From Transactional analysis:
Emotional blackmail is a term coined by psychotherapist Susan Forward, about controlling people in relationships and the theory that fear, obligation, and guilt (FOG) are the transactional dynamics at play between the controller and the person being controlled. Understanding these dynamics are useful to anyone trying to extricate from the controlling behavior of another person, and deal with their own compulsions to do things that are uncomfortable, undesirable, burdensome, or self-sacrificing for others.[12]

Forward and Frazier identify four blackmail types each with their own mental manipulation style:[13]

• Punisher's threat:
    Eat the food I cooked for you or I'll hurt you.​
  • Self-punisher's threat:
    Eat the food I cooked for you or I'll hurt myself.​
  • Sufferer's threat:
    Eat the food I cooked for you. I was saving it for myself. I wonder what will happen now.​
  • Tantalizer's threat:
    Eat the food I cooked for you and you just may get a really yummy dessert.​
There are different levels of demands—demands that are of little consequence, demands that involve important issues or personal integrity, demands that affect major life decisions, and/or demands that are dangerous or illegal.

Soylent is back.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20190625_0001.png
    wp_ss_20190625_0001.png
    856.2 KB · Views: 127
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Do vegans must eat bio or permaculture food ?

I mean pesticides from the hand of men kill others species too : insects, birds, monkeys and many others due to the food chain (rarefaction of insects and biotops like forests, rivers, mountain). So it should be as important than eat food cause some species non eated by mens are dissapearing due to food related industries. And if pesticides for vegetables cause human disorders as cancers or less years of life, I suppose human-being is as important as cows as an animal too ?

Maybe already asked, sorry if it did.

I suppose human-being is as important as cows as an animal too?
Because of their high intelligence and opposable thumbs, humans have become the dominant species on this planet at this point in the Earth's history. Note that this does not necessarily make humans more important than other animals in my eyes.

Unfortunately, the success of humans as a species is leading to overpopulation and the adoption of intensive farming methods in order to supply sufficient food for their increasing numbers.

As you allude, the use of pesticides disrupts the natural food webs which allow other animals, including fish, insects and birds, to thrive - or even to survive.

As to your first question "Do vegans eat bio or permaculture food?" - they may seek to do so now, but if the numbers of vegans increase to the levels they desire they will face the same problems of growing sufficient food as is currently faced by the rest of the human race.

Just my humble thoughts to help keep the thread going! :)

Tim Hortons just released Beyond Meat meatless sausage patties for their breakfast sandwiches.

Beyond Meat(R) | Tim Hortons

"
The Beyond Meat® Sausage patty is 100% plant-based and contains no soy, gluten, or GMOs!

It is made with ingredients such as peas, rice, mung beans, sunflower seeds and coconut oil.

It’s also a high source of protein with 10 g per serving!
"

Anyone tried it yet?

Cheers,
Jeff

Beyond Meat® Sausage is here!
Why must the manufacturers refer to meat when it isn't meat? Does including the word 'meat' positively affect the target audience's food purchasing decisions?

Should the use of the term 'sausage' be permitted since this traditionally* refers to a cylindrical product made from ground meat, usually beef or pork?

* The word "sausage" was first used in English in the mid-15th century, spelled "sawsyge".

P.S. I haven't tried it Jeff, and am not tempted to! :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Vegans ethic is a good start but...

I don't think the meat quantity is growing to cover the humans needs. More a question of culinar interests than needs to feed the world. Western countries are eating less food than 50 years ago because people have health informations (medical reviews perhaps made more than vegies for cows).

I'm against industry of meat when you see a simple cow needs around 100 liters of water per day or eat 25 tons of dry food a year. And there is just for the cows around one billion of heads on the planet... I think all this spaces and quantity needed for meat industry should benefit to the vegetable food and could feed more people while maybe killing less species ?

But the ethic about killing animals that can suffer (basicly our main animal proteins sources), we also see than animal food industry is at the origin of reduction of forests (for soya needed by animals farming industry) so animal species too. But not only. Oil palms is also killing animals at Borneo and others place and exploit Oil palm is present in many industrial transformed veggie foods, cosmectics like soap, biofuel (till 10% iirc in one fuel liter in countries using it).

Do the vegans care about all animals pain (so us included) in their official point of view ?

I mean it's not about leather or wales grease only! Children work is also here for palm oil production as 100% syntetic running shoes factories and shelling process made by hand for many sort of nuts as in many vegetables groves. Women exploitation in tea groves and else like cotton groves and clothes industies.

If it's about suffering, do vegans are just better about meat production and bees protection (50% of insects already disseapered from human activity like pesticids and else).

I also do think to be at the top of the chain food gives not you the right of species collapsing whether you eat veggies or meat. It's also cunterproductive as well in long term strategies (we needs insects to polinate or feeds the animals eating them, like vegetables feeding all sort of animals, all being usefull for genomic research and medics, etc, etc).

I think vegans is a good ethic approach but limited or maybe I missed something about their manifest (do they not wear clothes, running shoes and vegetables palm oil - and guess whom are harvesting coco nuts in the groves :rolleyes: , ). And the global warming that kills too, not only rare species but humans too? Do they not use Internet or carbonned energy?

I'd like to do my best and mainly my individual participation not hiding myself behind my little finger but something is already troubling me. Indeed I have the feeling the ethical approach is made for the richest : bio food, electrical cars, solar electricity while we continue to waste things like buying eectronics components, tons of drivers and in the meantime richest can soon pollute more with spatial turism launchers. Or most of us when driving or flying.

So limited or time to include ourselves in the global food chain from an ethical point of view (or simply for survey purpose being a species like an other one).

We should have both an individual responsability and a global one (time for ethic stock exchange indicators for enterprises & industries without just purchasing rights to pollute). I like the idea it's not about states responsability but individual ethic behavior as cunsumers for instance.

But in the real world I'm also know some not ethical sacrifices are made for our survey like for instance animals sacrified for medical reasearch (till it's not for confort pills but products that can save life).

Sure all I say was already said and I'm sure true informed vegans should have ideas about that.

Last edited:
Sure all I say was already said and I'm sure true informed vegans should have ideas about that.
You certainly covered a lot of bases there and exposed the complexity of issues involving human attitudes towards animals, environments and consumerism.

Check out this article which examines such issues from a non-vegan standpoint Veganism is a consumer activity It may provide more 'food' for thought!

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
thank you for that link

Well, if you ask me it's the old dilemnia between individual and group paradox in human being ontology. Wisdom and philosophy is defintly far above most of us, we needed to create monney and laws as a win/win to be able to live with eachothers. I see the first envy for ones who say themselves to be clever is to see how he can cunsume more and/or better like in this Diyaudio place and I'm in the train too.

But self behavior, financial benchmarking between people and laws seem to have reached a limit due to the surpopulation for this system and the place where we live (do you not think funny people targett Mars travel more than a better life in our planet?). It seems this time we need to be more collective than individual for our own interest. In the meantime I do not know an other model that the one who rules all the World (but pygmy model wich can not be global anymore)

I believe veganism mvt if no financial or religion interests involved is a result of that, and it's certainly true we will see more and more movements and sons of all sorts due to this cause for concern. Yes it's about leather skins in the end : our's :eek:

Last edited:
(do you not think funny people target Mars travel more than a better life in our planet?)
Supporters of a manned mission to Mars argue that it will jumpstart developments in areas such as recycling, solar energy, food production and the advancement of medical technology that will be of advantage to all of us.

Alternatively, it may simply be regarded as a fantastic adventure (which is OK as long as I'm not required to be one of the occupants of the interplanetary craft!).

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Do you believe them ? It s more about justfying their own jobs and incomes but look like the same that call themselves clever I talked above...individual behavior and ego, isn't ?

Young people with reason would like to see all those spatial agencies all over the world to apply their intelligence work for the comon earth despite spending time and money in comitees. Indeed there is something not descent nowadays to speak about Mars travel when we are more and more living in a garbadge. And if it's for prestige and marketing I'm sure it could be greater than walking on the moon, Mars. We need heroes here. No ambition if you ask me, old world and old receips, it"s more about lobiying and I'm not too much appealed by plot theories.

I'm not vegan but think there is something interesting, it's a spark of a worldwide consciousness beginning... well centred on their interest but I believe there is no hazard in that. I dunno if it begans with Internet or else but I'm looking the young generations all over the world and they seem to think more global as well, no niationalism involved... a little as the scientist of the XX whom begann to share informations with fundamental sciences.

Is the average age of vegans young or older ? Is it mainly elites in a box or at the opposit people who have an global ethic wanted for everyone ?

My question seems naive and maybe is but I don't beleive cynism can apply as easily than before. Could be vegans an example of what is happening, exchanges and trading were always global but often for limited or individual goals. It looks like people everywhere are looking for some global sense but yes at the shadow of their own culture. So different shapes but towards something more intelectual than material and global ???? Knowledge and ethic and indeed not an empty bully if we stay on material needs are good candidate to something positivly global. Ideas are going faster and faster, thank you Internet...it's more joyfull than pollution, killing species, exploit animals and ourselves for individual satisfaction... Maybe I watched too much Walt Disney younger, dunno:rolleyes:

Going to big grocery trying to get back to veganize lifestyle so had to do more reading as a pedestrian.
Im really bothered in the fda et al and the logic of gene splicing food. I was a firmware programmer for many years and would reuse code over and over in new products.

Now there no problem doing this if each reuse is analyzed in the context of new program. Factors like timing , cpu usage and type and new hardware ic peripherals.

But how can a gene fragment be inserted into for example corn and then all parties pronounce its safety? It's ridiculous and incompetent.
It may be hundreds of years before the first wave of injuries are diagnosed and linked to the Bt corn , using this example.

Is there a flaw here in my logic?

... Is there a flaw here in my logic?

Isn't this really more of a general, fear-of-unkown, what-if concern than logic? If a transgenic plant thrives and is able to propagate by itself then it pretty much means there's nothing wrong with it -- it's just another of the many varieties of the species good to eat; sort of a positive control. Whether it has a better nutritional value is a different question. Besides, artificial selection, which is essentially genetic modification through selective breeding, has been used for thousands of years for the purpose of making plants more tasty and nutritious. The boundary between selection and genetic modification is quite fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.