Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
For primates like us brain size is directly linked to the size of the social group they live in.

In other words if you know nothing about a certain species of primate you can with a fair degree of accuracy predict the size of the group they live in from the relative size of the brain.

This leave a chicken-and-egg problem though: Which came first the increase in brain size or the enlargement of the social group?

PS: Our own brain size indicates a natural social group of about 150 individuals.

Well this is a nice topic :)
My brother in law is Vegan.
He doesn't eat meat and doesn't eat egg's or anything that contains this....
The reasoning is that he doesn't eat anything that could be the start of new life.....
I think it's ******** because al of the vegtables alsohave a live.... and we eat the fruits from them that could also be the start of new life just like the egg of a chicken....(and if there is no rooster the egg gets lost and the chicken did al the effort for nothing....)

On the other hand he doesn't weigh enough, needs to take extra vitamin pills and has a lot of problems with his intestins.....our body is just not made for only vegtables (a cow can do that but has more then one stomach etc....)
I think awe are made to eat everything => omnivoor.
He also is at least 2 to 3 times sick in one year.
I don't have those problems.....

Than been said I will continue to eat meat as I like a good steak now and then and some spare ribs etc....
I do know where the meat comes from so I will always try to never throw anything away!

If you think about it these days:
-You shouldn't eat meat cause it's not good for you,
-You shouldn't smoke cause it's bad for you
-You shouldn't drink alcohol cause it's bad for you
-You shouldn't drink soda cause it's bad for you
-You shouldn't listen to load music cause its bad for you
-You shouldn't enjoy the sun cause it's bad for your skin

etc....
The list is endless these days and then they wonder why people get depressed ¿¿¿

Whats next? Sex is bad for your health?
You know maybe we should stop living altogether cause it's bad for your health (at some point you will die.....) and it will be better for the planet :p

Ok I am maybe ging a little bit to far on this butas an optimist I like to enjoy and live life as much as I can.
And eating a good portion of meat is one of the ways how I enjoy life.
On the other had I chose to Not have kids as there are already people enough so I think for the sake of the planet that I can still enjoy a pice of meat :p

And if I won't get 90 years old (with the last 10 years of memory loss....or the like) I don't mind.
If I can get around 70-80 years of age without memory loss of long lasting health problems I am a happy person

For primates like us brain size is directly linked to the size of the social group they live in.

In other words if you know nothing about a certain species of primate you can with a fair degree of accuracy predict the size of the group they live in from the relative size of the brain.

This leave a chicken-and-egg problem though: Which came first the increase in brain size or the enlargement of the social group?

PS: Our own brain size indicates a natural social group of about 150 individuals.

I have a hard enough time with 15 never mind 150!

Never did like people much. :eek:

Edit....does that,mean I have a small brain?:p

Of course it does Bob! :)

Seriously though 150 is also the number of individual humans who first left Africa (genetics is great isn't it?), it is the average number of contacts we have in our phonebook (before social media made it easy to collect 'friends'), the Amish split a village into two when they exceed 150 and so on...

At the same time there were always individuals with a much, much larger social circle as well as ones with a much smaller one which includes myself.

'Hell is other people.'

J P Sartre

Here's my thoughts on the vegan diet...

If you go back a few hundred years or so, way before globalisation the only food people had readily available to them came from the local surrounding areas. There is no way that anyone could survive healthily on a vegetarian diet let alone a vegan diet. There is no way that all of the essential non meat / non diary foods types would be available.

I do know where the meat comes from so I will always try to never throw anything away!
Thanks for your post :) it sounds like your brother-in-law is a confused fruitarian ;) Fruitarianism - Wikipedia

Regards the above, I think that's a good sentiment, I also look at the big picture and ultimately if you did throw something away it wouldn't go to waste it would be consumed by some other organism.

.... and we eat the fruits from them that could also be the start of new life just like the egg of a chicken....
Just to pick up on the actual biology here - when we eat fruits we are encouraging, not preventing, the start of new life.

By a natural bodily process we end up dispersing the seeds within the fruit.

That's why we find tomato plants growing on railway tracks. (Yes, a tomato is a fruit!) :)

Attachments

• tomatoes on the track.jpg
    tomatoes on the track.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 64
Legumes? It reminds of my latest favourite biscuit at the supermarket, which contains such plant.
Talking about biscuits, for a vegan I guess it's very difficult to find the right one, having discarded the eggs and butter and ...:eek:
Hard time :radar:
BTW industrial plumcakes ( 6 or 8 for 1 $ ) do change in structure in one week, but that's probably a problem of the packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.