Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, for a moment there I was naive to think that this thread was serious..... quickly escalated to a spew of ignorance.

(I'm counting down for evenharmonics or rex_johnston to reply....)
Anyone can reply here, it's not a vegan forum, I tried that, you said yourself you haven't read this thread so your judgement is hasty, there has been a vast amount of valuable input, just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they're ignorant. Why is your focus so much on diet?

My judgement is based on my interactions here over the past few days where the minority was genuinely interested in understanding the motivations behind a vegan lifestyle, the rest... not so much (and that is putting it lightly).
I get my fair share of that on a day to day basis, so probably best to stick with the main reason why I read this forum..... and that is DIY audio.

haha.

If you look back at the *actual* diets of most people a few hundred years ago, you'll find their diets are mostly vegetarian. Meat a rare luxury and only at certain times of year. The rest of the time, vegetarian at least. Vegan perhaps, depending on what was available and then affordable. (remember how Samual Pepys buried his bit of parmesan to protect it from the fire of London in 1666, because it was so valuable and more of an investment than a food - the same things weren't available to the average person as they are today).

Whether they had a healthy diet or not is down to the social environment.

Here's an article about recent research into the diets of ancient egyptians: New study reveals ancient Egyptians were mostly vegetarian | Ancient Origins

vegetarian/vegan are often interchangable when talking about older history - you can't really tell what was available to the individual to be more specific.

The strong meat eating cultures we see today are very very recent in terms of human history.

I don’t see how a study of 45 desiccated corpses from an elite social cast can represent an entire civilisation over a few thousand years, especially one that lived next to a large river...

I think with most things, whether it be diet, lifestyle, religious, political choices for the vast majority of people it’s just who they are and how they live their life. Unfortunately it tends to be the very few with the most extreme holier than thou views that get raised far above the noise floor. Unfortunately this is often the only immediate source of information for others to make a judgement on and to react to.

Unfortunately it tends to be the very few with the most extreme holier than thou views that get raised far above the noise floor. Unfortunately this is often the only immediate source of information for others to make a judgement on and to react to.
That is true, however, I know many vegans and when I've dug a little deeper talking to them I was surprised at how many held quite extreme views, that is what shifted my interest from the doctrine, which I find simple to understand, to the personal motivations and beliefs.

I'm former vegan and a sympathizer to the cause.
Anyone read todays Guardian?

Believe it or not, i see your point of view. It would be great if we could exist without animal products. Unfortunately the health cost is too great. It would be far better if this awareness were put into buying ethical products like pasture raised eggs and line caught fish.

The propaganda comes in waves, it's clearly co-ordinated. I see Willett dragging Harvard's name through the mud today, again. Another in the BMJ, both seem to be the result of questionnaires about what people ate in the distant past.

I'm former vegan and a sympathizer to the cause.
Anyone read todays Guardian?
Most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report | Environment | The Guardian

There is no chance that I would eat either 'meat' grown in vats or processed from plant-based sources.

I'd rather eat no meat at all than this over-processed crap. Over-processing is the health hazard, not the meat itself.

As one esteemed dietician said he only eats food that has been in the human food chain for at least 150 years. Good advice in my experience and I try to stick to it.

Attachments

• lab-cultured meat.jpg
    lab-cultured meat.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 96
I wonder what the long term impact will be by becoming more dependent on plant based or plant derived foods. There has already been a considerable impact on the natural environment due to crop farming. Although agricultural land may seem pleasant it is not natural being the result of human intervention. Look at the issues with rain forest being cleared for palm oil. Potentially we may just swap one problem for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.