Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
^ too many lectins by the sound of it?

Nice catch. I didn't want to say it. :)
Lentils are my "one food if stuck on an island" food. I've made burgers with it and they are good. Also very high in lectins. I love hummus, but the tahini in the mix makes my face break out in painful acne. It usually happens a day or so later, so it was hard to pinpoint what was causing it. :(
I make may own with olive oil and frankly it's better than the store bought stuff.

why do some people find the use of animal products distasteful

If you see how animals are treated, it's very distasteful. This is what triggered me to try to stop animal proteins a year ago. Makes it much easier with disgust as an engine to stop eating animals.
When I do eat chicken or turkey now, I try to eat organic, cage free.
Not always possible.

The problem was getting nourishment on the road while touring. White rice and salad will not sustain you long when you are working loading and unloading trucks. ;)

No on tour catering company?

Back in the '80s & '90s many of the roadies in the company I worked for (and a number of band members!) claimed to be vegetarian when they were not but the catering company would put more effort into providing good food rather than just cheap burgers.

At 53 I'm still taking the same waist size (32-34) as I was when I was 23.
Never been on a diet and eat what I like as long as it isn't overly processed.
'Overly processed' to me starts with removing fat from milk or yoghurts.

If you see how animals are treated, it's very distasteful. This is what triggered me to try to stop animal proteins a year ago. Makes it much easier with disgust as an engine to stop eating animals.
When I do eat chicken or turkey now, I try to eat organic, cage free.
Not always possible.
I appreciate that entirely, I don't know if you've seen my earlier posts, but I get it.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Try goose.

Geese are not suited for intense farming methods so every goose is at least free range.

My one experience with goose was not good. My friends cooked it in my house and found the smell overwhelming. Had to do with the fat. Maybe it was the way they cooked it (oven). Ever since it has been on my " do not try" list.

Thanks for the option.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I've been vegetarian for quite some years. The thought of it being easy never occurred to me ;) The day I stopped being a vegetarian I felt a lot better. Nevertheless I still try to reduce meat consumption for all the reasons man can come up with. Will almost never eat it for lunch or breakfast. Fast food only if there is no other means of getting food etc.

Same goes for reducing sugar consumption, reducing consumption of processed food, refusing to adhere to the useless habit of eating desserts after a meal, reduce palm oil/fat consumption etc.

I think there is at least some wisdom in the phrase:"If your grandfather and grandmum ate it it's OK".

Last edited:
If you see how animals are treated, it's very distasteful.
I have no argument with that statement, but do vegans drive? If so, how do they come to terms with the mass slaughter of flying insects as they plough into them with their cars?

I'm not a vegan, but I drive my car while conscious of the fact that I place my convenience over the lives of these unfortunate animals.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I appreciate that entirely, I don't know if you've seen my earlier posts, but I get it.

I don't remember, but I'll just say this. Eating and the health effects are a very personal thing. Forget personal ethics for a second. Not even in the same family are the results the same. We all react differently and have different option available to us. I asked my mom what she ate when she was young and the answer was "basically nothing". If there was anything to eat, it was 100% natural stuff that was just growing. Some pork if it was available. Very little beef. That's WWII Italy. I'm born in the early 1970's where I had everything, but was probably not equipped to eat it.
You see where I'm going? It's just very, very complicated.

Here's something I found interesting. After WWII, here in the US, they did experiments to find out the affects of starvation. They didn't know how they were going to feed all the returning soldiers. One group was fed nothing, while the other group was fed very little. The people fed nothing faired better, while test group that was fed very little went nuts. They'd steal, eat trash and lost muscle mass. That didn't happen with the unfed group. After 36 hours, you don't feel hungry anymore. The chemical that create hunger pangs goes away. 30 days without food, 3 days without water and 3 minutes without air. That's what we are capable of. :) Pretty amazing.

It's my opinion that in 1st world countries, especially here in the US, I don't think we earn what we eat. Starting with me. I sit for 8 hours, drive to work and watch tv until I go to bed. I have no right, biologically, to buy myself a Philly cheese steak with fries and a Coke. I didn't earn it. If I broke my A$$ in construction 10 hours a day, maybe once in a while it would be OK. (This is partially why it was easy for me to give up animal protein for one year.) Comfort food is for someone who's been through something, not an everyday occurrence. Again, that's just my opinion. I already said too much.

Minnesota Starvation Experiment - Wikipedia

Last edited:
It's nec. to consider the origins of the bipedial primate. If we disregard the insanity of religious dogma (of whatever source) we began life jumping up and down in the baobob trees of the Rif valley or some such other place.

What was/is the diet of these primates - mainly fruit/leaves/possibly honey and occasionally meat from our/their own species - perhaps in years of little of the 'normal' diet.

Many studies have been done in communities where longevity is normal and I don't mean where frail old people are kept 'alive' in cossetted old peoples homes.

These are communities where people go on leading active physical productive lives right up until the end. In many there is one common product - yoghurt.

Veganism - we moved in June to another location here in France and have a neighbour who is a vegan. It makes you think about what kind of meal you can produce for them thqt doesn't include any animal products at all.

Think about dairy products - they are all made from nutrition that is made for infants - milk, butter, cheese - so why does yoghurt feature so often in communities where people live active lives until a very, very old age.

Yoghurt is made from milk from which the fat has been removed. It is perceived that cheese made from goats or sheep's milk is far less harmful than that made form cows - why?

From the 1970s' people in the West have become obese, not so much from eating meat and French fries but from eating too much of these foods. Gluten is another no-no.

Some posters have raised another hugely important fact - the explosion in human population. This is not to the benefit of humans or the planet but does benefit a very small percentage of the human population at the expense of the planet and bio-diversity.

I don't know of any society on this planet where young humans are exposed to the intensive study of downsizing the human population, intelligent dietary study and the primary importance of maintaining and improving (if this is possible) of the environment upon which we all depend for our very survival.

What we eat and the sustainability of our diet has to be an integral part of this discussion and political and religious dogma have no relevance at all in this.

Personally I detest factory farming, it is an obscentiy created by a human population that has grown without check for far too long, a fishing industry where profit is the only principle employed - vamos a ver.

Some posters have raised another hugely important fact - the explosion in human population. This is not to the benefit of humans or the planet but does benefit a very small percentage of the human population at the expense of the planet and bio-diversity.
How do you motivate people to do the right thing? One would think having offspring would be motivation enough. If people have no vested interest in the future they will have even less than they have now.

One thing I like about the philosophy of veganism is that they feel connected to other animals and hence, hopefully, the planet as a whole.

Italy is the second country in the world after Japan for the life of the people, > 85 years old.
The main reason is the Mediterranean diet, is calle, where it is very complete with vegetables, cheese, meat, fruit ( and wine!!).

There are some vegans here, unfortunately :)

My opinion is that anyone can decide about his life but for the kids, until the end of the growning, if the parents are vegans, they must strayed from them under the supervision of a legal.
There are lot of study where the vegan diet is terrible for the kids.

PS: please save a tree, eat a vegan!!!! :)

Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.