Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on a veggie (not vegan however) diet for almost two weeks and initially felt really well but some time later started to feel tired and powerless (I do gym and running) and had to add back meat and eggs to my diet. After doing it, power came back, won`t do it again. During the veggie diet I took extra supplements - vitamins, zinc and magnesium. Zinc is hard to source from about any food (some sea food has lots of it as does red meat) and very very essential for a man. Some vitamins like vitamin A are hard to source from plants as there they exist in a precursor form beta-carotene, which is then processed by the body to create the natural form of vitamin A - retinol. the natural form is in red meat. Studies at University of Maryland showed beta-carotene has limited absorption by the body, usually 6:1 was measured and is thus not a good form for humans as time does not allow the body to process enough.

That all being said, I`d never become veggan and I consider it dangerous for human`s health.

Hi, i have been on a vegetarian diet for the past two years, never felt better, all the nutrients you need can be sourced from fortified plant based foods(you don't need supplements) i know a few athletes who i would consider exceptional in their field and they are either vegan or vegetarian.
cheers Arthur

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That all being said, I`d never become veggan and I consider it dangerous for human`s health.
It's not dangerous as long as you eat right. I was vegan for 10 years doing hard physical work every day. No problems as long as I ate well. More strength and stamina than my co-workers.

The problem was getting nourishment on the road while touring. White rice and salad will not sustain you long when you are working loading and unloading trucks. ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
. Being vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy - there are plenty of unhealthy vegan junk foods.[/URL]
That's true! Although it is harder to get junk food when you are strict vegan.
I was fit and thin until I started eating dairy products. Now I'm old, fat and have high blood pressure. But I eat all the "right things" you always see recommended. :xeye:

As alluded to earlier the biggest problem for life on the planet as a whole are the sheer numbers of people and the addiction to growth.
Those who are concerned about the rate of increase in the human population and also concerned about animal welfare should consider stocking up on vegan condoms.

However, as the peta2 site states, "If you don't have certified vegan condoms, sex with any condom is better than sex with no condom."

Practice Safe Sex with Vegan Condoms | peta2

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Lots of anecdotes... And, dietary data is very hard to assess - way too many uncontrolled factors, however hard you try.

Undoubtedly though, it's possible to live well on a meat based, vegetarian or vegan diet for most people (ie excluding those few with specific problems limiting diet options), if you take enough care about what's in the diet.

I don't know any vegans, but the vegetarians I know don't try and sell the concept, or object to sitting at a table with meat eaters; we all co-exist easily.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I did not go vegan, but I stopped eating red meat, pork, chicken and turkey and no cold-cuts for 1 year. My exercise level was exactly the same- low. Walking and house work mostly. Only ate eggs and fish for animal protein. After 8 month, I had blood test done. All blood cholesterol levels were higher, good cholesterol was down and I was pre-hypertension. I now have to take blood pressure and cholesterol pills. I think the cause was substituting more breads, soy products, sweets and salty foods.

I went back to eating chicken and turkey this September. I lost a few lbs. Blood pressure is almost normal. Blood levels report not done yet, but getting to that time of the year when my work brings in a team to take blood and gives results on the spot.

The best thing I did was fast. Once for 47 hours and 24 hrs after that. Apparently, it's not necessary to go that long. 16 hours is enough. It's a great way to reset the system. I felt immediate changes.

I discovered by cutting out certain foods that I thought were good for me, like nuts and beans, my seasonal allergies mostly went away. I don't get headaches and sinus infections like before. I'm allergic to grass and dust according to allergist tests. I don't have to take allergy meds now.
I have something called "leaky gut" caused by some of these "good" foods.

This is just my experience. Do your own research and consult with your doctor.

Last edited:
I've been vegan/whole food plant based for nearly two years. The deciding factors were for my physical health, environmental impact on the planet, and also the well-being of animals.

Over 56 billion farmed animals are killed every year by humans. These shocking figures do not even include fish and other sea creatures whose deaths are so great they are only measured in tonnes. Think of all the resources it takes to raise these animals for consumption. Not to mention all the deforestation to make room for crops to feed the animals.

The consumption of animal products is responsible for around 90% of all human diseases.

Animal food production is the world’s leading cause of climate change.

Factory fishing ships are exploiting the world’s oceans so aggressively that scientists fear the extinction of all commercially fished species within several decades.

Osteoporosis is more prevalent in countries where they consume more dairy - but we are all told to have dairy to prevent it!

It's in mankind's best interest to stop eating/using animal products and preserve life on this planet as we know it. Ultimately - nothing really matters, but mankind could be facing dire consequences as a result of our insatiable appetite for animal flesh.
Is that from an article you found or is that your personal belief? If latter, which facts is it based on?

Status
Not open for further replies.