Valve Itch phono

I say have at it if a few more people are interested in a build. The PCBs could probably use some fine tuning, but mine is working quite well (and quiet as my solid state Graham Slee). Still only have a few hours on it, but enjoying it very much.

Even at a small run, the boards are only about $5 each from JLCPCB. Unfortunately I don't have the time to manage more than the original 5 I ordered.

I have ordered a few more tube sockets to confirm what will fit for the Octal footprint. I'll follow-up once those arrive. I'm also going to finally put a proper 820K resistor on the output (which is still a Frankenresistor because I screwed up my original order at PCX).

I'm also getting ready to dip my toe in some tube rolling. First stop, some Sylvania 6SN7GTBs.

This has been my experience as well. I have a 6N2P-EV based 834P clone, which I would consider much more "tubey." That said, the 834 became more neutral after I changed to a shunt regulated PSU (the Broskie Janus on that one).

It seems to me the level of neutrality/accuracy of the Valve Itch could be attributable to the PSU, but that's just uninformed speculation.

I will say that the Valve Itch beautifully reproduces piano and drums. I've found the bass accurate and tight on many recordings, though it can be a touch boomy on others. Not enough time to attribute to recording/mastering, some something I've observed in my limited time with the Itch.

I also still haven't had time to check the channel balance, as recommended by Salas. Hopefully soon, but I'm preferring to listen to it rather than fiddle with it right now.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some tonal tweaking for best synergy in various systems can also be done with VTA. Nose down is brighter. Electrical way is by C3. 15.5nF is brighter than 15.75nF for instance. And so on and so forth.

But don't tweak something beforehand when there are other 6SN7 scheduled to listen with.

Channel balance should be confirmed every time there are changes in the tubes set.