• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve FM receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Certainly in the UK there are no plans to scrap FM. I don't think I need to justify a cause for a hobby, my expertise is in digital mobile radio - so its nice to do something more old school. In any case I prefer the FM sound quality. I used to dislike the audio artifacts of MP3 which DAB uses but MP3 encoding has improved a lot over the years. I think the broadcasters still put better sound processing in the FM path, DAB can sound a bit thin. I think there's now DAB+ which uses AAC encoding which is more transparent.

Last edited:
It's not a bad deal if you want something to play with. It uses the TA-7343 for the multiplex which is very common in car stereos from the 80s onward. The tuning cap they are using is kind of a waste for FM because that is typically for an AM tuner but I see they have the end sections for FM. A vacuum tube MPX would be much better and would achieve more of the fundamentals for wanting a tube tuner which is depth and full bodied sound. I would keep looking. I like that it's on a board but there are compromises. I couldn't see the schematic all that well but if it's an FET output in the MPX, that would be ok.

Last edited:
The phase locked loop may not seem like a modern invention . . .

That is until you look at the history of Mr. Armstrong's invention of FM Radio.

Compare the start of FM and the first phase locked loop.

Edit:
I revise my statement, there were early patents on phase locked circuits in the 1930s too.
See it on Wiki.

Last edited:
Considering FM is going to be unplugged soon, do you really want to invest your resources in such a challenging project ?

I doubt that, a lot of people are against shutting down those analogue radio stations and although a forced switching to digital transmission would be the ultimate wet dream of radio set makers, it will at least take 5 years or more to get this transition politically done. Just my personal opinion though....

We have warning sirens for when the Russians are coming, here in Sweden, and they are tested at 3pm on the first monday of every month.

A couple of years ago, following an error during maintanance, the alarm went off in the Stockholm area at 10pm on Saturday night, causing a lot of consternation.

Now, the procedure is to to immediately switch on the radio to receive further instructions, but not everyone has a radio anymore, and people use TV services from everywhere, so it proved to highlight how dependent we are on a source like radio, as a common and basc means of disseminating information.

+1 to baudouin0's statement on FM sound quality! I've got a Yamaha NP-S2000 network player two months ago that, alongside many other features, allows me to listen to an apparently infinite number of internet radio stations. After I bought it, I initially intended to discard my 1980ies Dual CT 1450 synthesizer AM/FM tuner. But after having carefully compared the sound quality of the same station between both units, I decided that the analog Dual has to stay :).

Best regards!

Yep I have the actual kit. It something to try out rather than an end project and learn from. The IF part looks sound and RF is probably wanting in the selectivity and sensitivity department. I will put some ideas on this post as I get get them. I think I saw valve MPX's on another thread.

The trouble with DAB is bitrate costs money. Plus MP3 does not get much better as your increase bitrate. So the audio quality is usually not the best. FM you get your own 250KHz of channel rather than sharing with others. AAC is much better than MP3 and is pretty transparent at higher bitrates - roll on DAB+.

Last edited:
I think I saw valve MPX's on another thread.

Mr. Turner has provided the community with a working example. Containing 6 SS diodes, it's not 100% tubed. However, I think the pair of 1N4007s could be replaced by a 6AL5 and the 4X 1N914s in the ring demodulator could be replaced by a 6JU8.

Attachments

• Turner MPX Decoder.JPG
    Turner MPX Decoder.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 155
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Considering FM is going to be unplugged soon, do you really want to invest your resources in such a challenging project ?

sorry I didn't intended to tell anyone what he has to do. In Switzerland FM is gradually being phased out for DAB+, with an end in 2024, as of current plans. I do not endorse this change, it's simply what I got from diverse official sources. And yes as in Sweden we still do have the "listen the radio" habit when the yearly sirens test is ongoing on the 1st Wednesday of February... only nobody has a FM radio anymore.

I don't understand how L6/C23 works as a low pass filter.

It looks like a series trap - blocks the resonant frequency, passes everything else. And the resonant frequency looks way off. Stray capacitance won't be enough to make much difference at these low frequencies.

I would ( did, actually ) use an MC/LM1310 and be done with it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.