Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Thanks everyone - I will try suggested variables later on.

I play from HQplayer 4 into a JLSounds I2SoverUSB v.II.

Therefore atm DSD 128 over DoP is my limit. I ordered the v.III to get to higher rates natively.

The noise is not there when playing, neither when playing music, nor when playing digital zero or silence.

It's also louder than the muted signal from the DAC. I know because I had an intermittent unwanted high signal on the MUTE line during playback, which makes the signal ever so slightly noticable, but way down. The noise when not playing is at least double to four times as loud.

Will investigate further.

----

Anyway - yesterday evenings' listening was the most fun I got out of my stereo for a long time. This is going to be great - Marcel, you are a hero!

Cheers!

Thanks, but with its negative supply, the valve DAC doesn't have the PSRR problem that a normal cascode amplifier has. In fact that's one of the reasons for choosing a negative supply.

Normally the ripple on the positive supply ends up on the output with practically no attenuation, but when the positive supply is ground, there is no ripple. You can't apply this trick with a negative supply to a normal cascode amplifier, because otherwise you get an even bigger PSRR problem at the input.

If for whatever reason (to combine it with another valve circuit, for example) you have to redesign the circuit for a positive rather than negative supply, then you could use the trick you linked to. That would boil down to superimposing the correct amount of supply ripple on the +168 V and +163 V (previously -132 V and -137 V) supplies for the flip-flops that drive the upper valves.

Mind you, these supplies need local decoupling to the supply and ground planes to give the data signal currents a good return path, otherwise the noise floor goes up substantially. You then probably experimentally have to find a compromise value for the capacitors, large enough to conduct the switching spikes yet small enough not to suppress or phase shift the deliberately introduced fraction of the supply ripple. You can also choose the ratio of the decoupling caps to the ground and supply planes such that the capacitive voltage divider that they form also puts roughly the right amount of ripple on the +168 V and +163 V.

Interesting I'll have to research negative rails and PSRR.

Fizzy noise removed!

OK, that was simple.

In the first few rounds of debugging the no sound problem, I had reverted to simple power supply for the I2SoverUSB board powering both parts of the galvanically isolated sections from the USB bus.

Now after giving the I2S section back its own external supply the fizzy sound was instantly gone.

Driving computer is a NUC with Windows.

All fine and dandy and ready to experiment further with output filter configurations.

Thanks, and godspeed to you!

I had only tried HQPlayer with DSD to chipped DACs, and found a slight improvement.

Marcel's implementation is for me the first practical proof of digital mathematical theory.

All other flavours of DACs I have used - from ESS9018 equipped ones, to FPGA'd ones like Chord Hugo, to Soekris R2R, to battery powered, to AD1862 R2R - they are all just slight variations on a theme, distinguishable but only so much that you don't need to blush when you call your new toy an improvement.

The Valve DAC is a different league.

Hi Ray,
Mouser delivered, I replaced U10, and the signal paces through up to the plates of the Valves, but the outputs remain muted no matter what.

I have done some measurements, see attached pictures.

The same realized with BeagleBone/Reclocker and I2SoverUSB.
BeagleBone/Reclocker has only one channel functional, traced up to the multipin connector of the BeagleBone. Something went very wrong during initial tests and maybe I have lost the port of BeagleBone also.

Anyway, I'll try to desolder and Q7 and Q8 tomorrow and then proceed to the JFETs accordingly.
I noticed that on startup without music playback the outputs are ON but immediately after starting playback they change to muted and remain so no matter what.

Any help much appreciated

Happy New Year
Periklis

Attachments

• Debugging VDAC_DSD-03.jpg
    Debugging VDAC_DSD-03.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Debugging VDAC_DSD-04.jpg
    Debugging VDAC_DSD-04.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 248
DSDON is apparently low, while it is supposed to be high during DSD playback. Everything else responds normally. Can you disconnect DSDON somehow and force a high level on it? Temporarily shorting pins 9 and 14 of U14 without disconnecting anything should also do the trick. R39 then limits the current flowing back into the output that drives DSDON.

Last edited:
Hi Ray,
Anyway, I'll try to desolder and Q7 and Q8 tomorrow and then proceed to the JFETs accordingly.
I noticed that on startup without music playback the outputs are ON but immediately after starting playback they change to muted and remain so no matter what.

Hi Periklis.

What version of I2SoverUSB do you have? I ask because;

• on Ver2, 'DSD on' is high (3.3V) on header pin #8 (this is not isolated)
  • on Ver3, 'DSD on' is low (0V) on header pin #18 (this is isolated)

DSDON is apparently low, while it is supposed to be high during DSD playback. Everything else responds normally. Can you disconnect DSDON somehow and force a high level on it? Temporarily shorting pins 9 and 14 of U14 without disconnecting anything should also do the trick. R39 then limits the current flowing back into the output that drives DSDON.

Hi,
Shorting the pins of U14 temporarily works, but temporarily of course. Shorting them permanently I can audition at last, the beauty of your design.
No funny noises, no hum, no problems any more, just pops/clicks when switching tracks.
I am using I2SoverUSB v.II during these tests, but I have also I2SoverUSB v.III, on which Lyuben has solved the pops/clicks problem and by the way it sounds much better than v.II with added functionality also.
I have to solve this as the BeagleBone/PPYrc also, but from what I have heard so far, you know
MARCEL is a HERO, and RAY is his brave assistant.

Best wishes for the new year
Periklis

I placed my order in early October, faced similar unavailabilities, finally used Mouser which I find friendlier but Digikey is ok also.
So I prepared a cross table which you can find attached and choose the alternatives you like, from either distributor.
Be aware that this is not a complete parts list, but you can build the DAC with these parts and use some from your stick or source locally.
I have also prepared an HTML BoM which is very handy to use during sildering either TH of SMDs/

Periklis

oops... missed the attachments.

I placed my order in early October, faced similar unavailabilities, finally used Mouser which I find friendlier but Digikey is ok also.
So I prepared a cross table which you can find attached and choose the alternatives you like, from either distributor.
Be aware that this is not a complete parts list, but you can build the DAC with these parts and use some from your stock or source locally.
I have also prepared an HTML BoM which is very handy to use during soldering either TH of SMDs/

Periklis

Attachments

• ibom.zip
    116 KB · Views: 69
  • SDM Valve DAC - GB - smd BOM_dk2mouser.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 69