• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum State RTP3C

Does this mean that the upper grid of the cascode draws current? And, if yes, how much is this current?

Evangelos

Tubes draw some grid current all the time but it is more or less constant until the voltage approaching the zero grid line. Although this grid current will be very tiny for signal tubes but then we are dealing with 0.33mA of bias current. As long you make sure the max voltage swing is at least 3db more than what is required, you should be in safe category.

One observation is you have to watch out for the corner frequency of the RC in the voltage reference. Try to aim for 1~2Hz. Or just play around the cap value to see if you hear any differences.

The other way I see is to use DN2540 casocde instead of LND150 where you can then increase the bias current making it less affected by grid current. You can even replace the resistor with a LM329 if you are using jfet at the bottom of the cascode. In this case, I will suggest adding a RC filtering following the LM329 instead of strapping a big cap over LM329. A cap over LM329 is a no no to my ears when biasing at 3~5mA.

The other way I see is to use DN2540 casocde instead of LND150 where you can then increase the bias current making it less affected by grid current. You can even replace the resistor with a LM329 if you are using jfet at the bottom of the cascode. In this case, I will suggest adding a RC filtering following the LM329 instead of strapping a big cap over LM329. A cap over LM329 is a no no to my ears when biasing at 3~5mA.

Can you please post a schematic of your suggestion?

thats why

i had good results from the beginning using a 9V batery and sound improved when changing to 2 pcs of 4,5V batteries.:D

Regarding this issue with LM329, I was thinking of using the circuit I attach below. This is John Swenson's idea and was part of his BDT preamp as a voltage regulator for the upper gate of a MOSFET cascoded design. The idea is quite simple and clever: cascoded LND150s are used as a constant current source feeding a resistor; since LND150 has an Idss of ca. 0.33 mA, there is a voltage developed on the load resistor that is constant. And since LND 150 has a Vds of 500 V, it is very convenient for that purpose.

I'm about to use one of this for a PP-2C amp I'm currently building (or rather modifying to from an old PP amp).

What is your opinion on this regulator?

I've heard from a member that there is an RTP4C, does anyone know what those updates are?

If I remember correctly, the RTP4 and RTP5 were similar in concept to the RTP3, but with MOSFETs in the bootstrap and constant-current positions of the SLCF output stage. Allen never felt they sounded as good as the all-valve RTP3 circuit.

All the versions of Allen's preamps are described in the Tube Preamp Cookbook (if you haven't got one, shame on you :) )

Alex

If I remember correctly, the RTP4 and RTP5 were similar in concept to the RTP3, but with MOSFETs in the bootstrap and constant-current positions of the SLCF output stage. Allen never felt they sounded as good as the all-valve RTP3 circuit.

All the versions of Allen's preamps are described in the Tube Preamp Cookbook (if you haven't got one, shame on you :) )

Alex

I have the second edition, and I've only made it through about 1/4 of the book. It is a great resource :cool:

Hello VSE builders i have some questions about the RTP3D.

At the moment i build up a RTP3D with the instruction manual i get from Allen Wright.
It is a lot of work because there are some errors in the manual but i think i found them all (i hope so).
Is there a substitute for the MAT02/SSM2220? At the moment a MAT02 is build in.

The current sources uses BF 245C. How can i match them so that they deliver the right current with the given resistor in the manual.
Or should i use a trimmer poti to set it to the right current?Which value should the pot have?

I don´t know how much current the second stage in the line amp sucks.
Does anybody know it?
So that i can trimm the current source to the right value.

Thanks from Germany
Roland

RTP3D questions

Hello VSE builders i have some questions about the RTP3D.

At the moment i build up a RTP3D with the instruction manual i get from Allen Wright.
It is a lot of work because there are some errors in the manual but i think i found them all (i hope so).
Is there a substitute for the MAT02/SSM2220? At the moment a MAT02 is build in.

Why looking for a substitute? In the original C version Allen used 2SK170/369 matched pairs of Jfets. However according to him it turned out that MAT02 are much better, more gain for low output MC´s, less noise and above all better sonics. The only alternative he mentioned was LM394 as a possible replacement for MAT02 but if it is sonically beter? ???

The current sources uses BF 245C. How can i match them so that they deliver the right current with the given resistor in the manual.

According to the parts list there is no matching required, however I do not know if the parts Allen supplied with the kits were already "preselected". A matching device circuit was shown in his Tube Preamp Cookbook but can also be found here: Transistor matching

Or should i use a trimmer poti to set it to the right current?Which value should the pot have?

Of course you can also take a trimmer for adjustments. A possible implementation with the BF245C is shown in this blog under #54

I don´t know how much current the second stage in the line amp sucks.
Does anybody know it?

In the old schematic of the SLCF with a 1 K resistor between ground and Jfet 2SK147/369 voltage measurement over this resistor gives 12.4 Volt. So according to Ohm's law that would be then 12.4 mA.

So that i can trimm the current source to the right value.

For sure trimming is possible here as well although maybe in this part of the circuit using matched devices for optimum symmetry of inverting and noninverting part could make sense although Allen Wright did not specify this in the manual.

airtangent