V3 Universal Power Supply Circuit Board

Hey Guys,
I have a question about the psu, is use this board to power my Aleph J. One thing i noticed was that when i power on the amp, only the + voltage led is lid, after about 5 minutes the - voltage is also burning, is this normal behavior?

for you're information, i use a 500va transformer, nichicon caps, standard BOM parts, and for a softstarter I use a couple of ntc thermisters from rinkerntrafo.nl (Inschakelstroom begrenzing 625VA)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If the voltages are good, replace the suspect LED. :)

Or don't worry about it, because the LEDs on the amp PCB are working properly. Every LED in that amp is nothing more than a lamp to turn on and be blue... because we all know Pass amps need blue LEDs... :D

checked the voltages, they are the same on both sides when amp is going up 21,4v measured at psu out, but i discovered something else, when i disconnect the speakers and turn the amp on (btw its a aleph J in combination with Mez B1) both leds immediately turn on. does anyone have a clue, cause i dont

I am making an order list of parts for the F& and power supply.
Mayber someone can help me?

I used to buy the Panasonic TSUP or TSHA caps. These are not available anymore.
Is Nichicon a good replacement?
Which series do you think is the best?
In the First watt F6 the caps are rated at 25V. Isn´t this too small for a rail voltage of 23V?

For caps on the PSU3, I went with Nichicon LS series. I just soldered them on last night. 18,000uF each.

LLS1H183MELC Nichicon | 493-7271-ND | DigiKey

IMG_0901_zpsg4tuii5w.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
In the First watt F6 the caps are rated at 25V. Isn´t this too small for a rail voltage of 23V?

Being that 23V is less than 25V, there really isn't a problem at all.
If you choose a cap with a higher voltage rating, it will give longer life when operated at 23V.

Nelson uses 25V caps in the factory-built Firstwatt amps.

I went thruh the data sheets from Nichicon and I like the GU Series which is 3000hr at 105°C.

Perfect. Good choice!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It elevates PSU ground about 10ohms above the chassis, so the signal ground won't mix with the chassis ground.

BUT, since it's a thermistor, if there is an electrical fault, it will reduce to about 1/4 ohm and stay intact with real current flowing through it.

Safety and signal isolation. All in one nifty little package. :)

Is it safe to fire up the PSU board with no load on the outputs? I would like to get my IEC mains,
soft start, and PSU hooked up to test before connecting my gain stage

The voltages may be around 10% higher than under full load. A variac would be good for this test.
You have 50V caps, rated at higher than the expected 25V, so no problem. I'd burn in the caps
with no load for an hour or so, before using with the amp circuit and a load.

Last edited: