USSPA Build thread

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know about food poisoning I had the same a few years ago on December 24th following a Christmas meal at a restaurant. My wife, my sister in law and myself were all sick all evening and night..:(
I hope you will get better soon :wiz:
Are your batteries rechargeable or big capacity because of the 50-60ma per channel for bias current :rolleyes:

Fab

Last edited:
Hi fab

Yes it will be my 2nd usspa.
I made so I could play with to a friend with high end equipment. He was so impressed with the last one and asked for a unit to be parked at his home. He is using single ended tube.. So it's something different. It's like.. Expensive better? Sometimes nahh

This will be integrated with rjm emerald phono. That's a good project.. If anyone care to diy a phono. We also tested with some of the best.. No problem with quality.

With a switch for cd and phono, so it will be easy to compare later.

Perhaps this time.. I will try studer 900 power supply. Then make a comparison with other supply since the supply will be on separate box. Easy to compare. But need rebias everything with every change

I made some material change.. That guy have a very revealing and clean sounding system. So soften it some with carbon resistors. And a slightly more dirtier supply. He got all the slam already one could wish for so...

Happy new year all

IMG-20200104-WA0062.jpeg

Done for the day.

I'm not using kemet cap this time.. Want to sound less clean and see how it goes

Waiting for supply

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
The specified power supply caps combination has been selected (from Nippon Chemicon white paper) for optimal impedance response against frequency band. Your new cap should also work even though not optimized:rolleyes:
Without knowing exactly what you mean by “less clean” have you tried to modify H2 level using one optional resistor as per section 7 of the manual?
I thought that the goal was to be clean;)
Fab

Hi Fab

. I will learn how to adjust H2 using scope with my friend later. The jfet is getting scarce so it's not very tightly match, could only manage 0.6ma diff . Will be better I learn to use the oscilloscope.
Darn.. I should have ordered the caps with u.. Lol let's light it up first

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
The scope function will not show H2 unless the scope has FFT function.
Your jfet are very well matched if they only have 0.6ma difference on IDSS ;)
You should have reduced H2 with that good match :rolleyes:
For the different cap type it is not that much a big deal, it is just that I want things to be optimized as much as possible...:cool:
Good luck
Fab

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes as per section 7 of the manual, only one side at a time should be adjusted but you can install 10k ohms pot for each side and set to 10k ohms for both to start with. Afterwards start reducing the value on one side only. The noticeable effect will only show once you reach less than 1K ohms or less. You may have to readjust dc offset during that process.

Fab

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
See below extract of USSA3 power amp manual. The USSA3 has a similar front stage as the USSPA thus should behave similarly for H2 adjustment.

One of my USSPA has an FFT similar to the one shown here but without R19/20 installed.

Fab

Attachments

• B9411834-DAEA-46BD-AF0E-8CDC6A576760.jpeg
    B9411834-DAEA-46BD-AF0E-8CDC6A576760.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 221
Hi Fab sorry for Dumb questions as u know I know nothing much.
I haven't mounted the pcb on fssa.. So when is a good time to tweak it? Also it's a bad position once all box installed its very difficult to reach for the trimpot

It's only adjustable for positive h2 on both usspa and fssa ? Or both positive and negative?

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pot on a pcb always makes it difficult to adjust once board is installed in the amp...
You can tweak it with heatsink installed horizontally.

Depending which side you use (positive or negative) it can go either way but probably not symmetrically because without adjustment you have already H2 present on a polarity thus less margin to increase H2 on the other polarity.

Fab

Last edited: