• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USSA-5 PCB GB

USSA5B is new and really my own appreciation does not mean much. All I can really say right now after less than 2 hours of comparison is that both my friend and I found the 5B needed higher volume to open up its soundstage compared to the USSA5 that kept its soundstage even at very low volume. But the 5B kept its good bass even at low volume. The 5B appears more forgiving for bad recordings too but does it mean less resolution or not:rolleyes:? But this is only perception based on limited trials.

I'm the guilty one who listened with Fab..! Hehe

I can attest to his listening observations/impressions. At lower volume the bass is consistent to higher power levels. The mids and the highs on the other hand, at lower volume become a little shy (soundstage is narrower) but this all changes when listening at moderate levels. Soundstage really opens up and most of the regular USSA5 qualities shows up. Soundstage is a tiny bit narrower than USSA5 but is a tiny bit deeper, it's a very good experience. So for those who always listen at moderate to high volume, this is perfect! As Fab said, if you were to build your first USSA5 and you can get all the parts for it, this is the one I would choose, original USSA5, on the other hand, the 5B is a very good alternative if sourcing parts and/or cost is a factor, it's also interesting for a second USSA5 if you want to have amplifier selection.

Go ahead, build with confidence, you won't be disappointing whichever version you build.

Do

Hi Gaborbela
No I have not tried that. My goal with the USSA5.1 and 5B is to get rid of these too hard to find good audio mosfet drivers. This way peoples will not be able to say “using unobtainable parts...”. I am building the second channel board of the USSA5.1 so eventually I will be able to try it in my system and then maybe compare with an original USSA5. In the mean time, maybe meanie, Vunce or another member will build his 5B....:rolleyes:

Fab

Sorry Fab, after I realized it required more tweak to install the power BJT as a replacement for the MOSFET not one on one swap and very likely need extra work to switch between the Darlington driver and the MOSFET drivers.
Also, you did these so people can build the amp. Thank you for your answer.

The USSA5 is the amplifier I always go back to, my favorite amplifier to date!

I wish I could build another pair of speakers from Troels.. I'd love to try the new CNO-GRANDE
CNO-GRANDE

Paper cone drivers are to my ears, the best for rendering string instruments.

All the best!
Do

Hi Do,

That was not fair, I thought you were a nice guy! ;)
Until now the world was still in order, no great wishes, only the current projects to complete (housing) or improve the power supplies. Gambling with parts here and there and than YOU came throw in a name of speakers,
I am curious as always, put at short glimpse at the website and bang the world is destroyed! :eek:

Now I am dreaming about these speakers, looking if the will fit into the room, how long it will takes to save the money for it and how to tell my wife! :confused::D

As usual you have a good and expensive taste!

Please do NOT tell us more about it (e.g if you have heard them by your own and how it was, ....)! ;)

Nevertheless I wish you a nice evening.
André

Hi Do,

That was not fair, I thought you were a nice guy! ;)
Until now the world was still in order, no great wishes, only the current projects to complete (housing) or improve the power supplies. Gambling with parts here and there and than YOU came throw in a name of speakers,
I am curious as always, put at short glimpse at the website and bang the world is destroyed! :eek:

Hi André,

Sorry for being such a bad boy! :D

I wish I had heard them, but since I really like the ATS-4, I trust Troels design. I will most likely end up assembling a pair eventually!

All the best!
Do

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Group buy update

Group buy status:
Fab - 4 pcs
Vunce - 2 pcs- USA :15$ , PAID, shipped
Meanie -4 pcs- Singapore: 11$, paid , shipped
Brianco -2 pcs- UK: 11$ PAID, shipped
Boba1000 -2 pcs- USA:15$ (tracking), paid , shipped
FAA -2 pcs - USA: Paid, shipped
Coolnose - 2 pcs- France: 11$, paid, shipped
Funke and Speedy - 6 pcs- Germany: 11$, paid, shipped
Gary s - 2 pcs- Australia: 12$, paid, shipped
Potstip - 2 pcs- Turkey: 12$, shipped
mbrennwa - 2 pcs- - Switzerland: 11$, paid, shipped
Bfpca - 2 pcs - Canada : paid , shipped
Praudio - 2pcs - Canada : paid , shipped
Randytsuch - 2 pcs - USA: 15$ (with tracking) , paid, shipped
Hallcon83 - 2 pcs - USA Texas: 8$, paid, shipped
Myl - 2 pcs - Hong Kong : 15$ , paid, shipped

Total pcbs: 40/40

All pcbs shipped (except mine).
Fab

Fab

I received my boards. Thank you for the prompt shipment. I am making slow progress on my USSA5 build. The basic chassis is done to the point that I can mount a test channel to check temperatures. The heatsinks are mounted internally and I have provision for fans if natural convection is not enough to keep things below 50c. I hope to begin testing transistors for the front end today. After drilling and tapping what seems like hundreds of holes I am looking forward to doing some electronic work.