USSA-5 Build with Review

After adjusting USSA 5,let it cook for 3Hours ,while keeping an Eye on it every half Hour.It didn`t move much .After realizing that Temperatur didn`t get very high,I went for 65mV with a Temperatur of ca 38C°.Today let it cook again for 3 Hours and readjusted Offset on one Side,just a little.Hooked it up to Stereo right now and had a short listen.Very promising.Dead Quiet,very Detailed,seperatet from Speaker,not shure about Bass at the Moment.Let it Burn.
regards DT

Some Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_122102.jpg
    IMG_20190410_122102.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20190410_122224.jpg
    IMG_20190410_122224.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 351
  • USSA5.1.jpg
    USSA5.1.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 354
After listening to USSA5 for a couple Days now ,I can say it is a really good Amp.Clean.lot of Resolution,deep Bass Resolution too.The only Thing I`m missing is some Body for Piano,Voice...Can this be bettered by choosing other Input Cap or Resistors in some Places? Any Advice?
Regards DT

After listening to USSA5 for a couple Days now ,I can say it is a really good Amp.Clean.lot of Resolution,deep Bass Resolution too.The only Thing I`m missing is some Body for Piano,Voice...Can this be bettered by choosing other Input Cap or Resistors in some Places? Any Advice?
Regards DT

Patience....patience, let it break in. USSA-5 is generally a warmish, full-bodied and detailed amp; it does it all.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Taccodude
The current must be equal for positive and negative part of the input stage circuit. P3 and P4 setting must be verified and properly adjusted as per section 8.7 of manual. Doing so if it was not rightly adjusted will impact dc offset and bias thus rerun section 9 of manual. In the worst case you may have to rerun section 8.18 if the calculated resistor values significantly change with different voltage applied following P3 or P4 setting change.
But you can simply start by measuring voltage of section 8.7 for now and report your values here.
Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes it can be tested with all parts mounted. Heat is coming from output mosfet and set by output bias current. Output bias current is set by P1 and P2. Heatsink should not be cool. You need more than 1.2A of output bias current and higher is better. I target about close to about 50C heatsink for a class A amp. You should adjust for at least same temperature as your F5.

Fab

Last edited:
DC Offset is very good and stable,I just wondered if that can be tested, with all Parts installed because I didn`t mount them.I just wonder if something is wrong because it is pretty cool,my F5 was a lot warmer.

taccodude,

What is your bias set at? How much offset? More importantly have you check the bias after many heat cycles and warmed up?

I've had amps projects where the bias drops very low, in those cases an overly "cool" sound is what you get. No warmth whatsoever.

Cheers,

Enchilada guy (aka ggetzoff)

In the Back of Heatsink is a little Hole where I measure.So I can do what,just push it to 70-75mV and watch Temperatur ?
Regards DT

75mV would be 1.5A bias. No issues as long as your heatsink can support it. Start with 1.3A and then if too low, bring it to 1.4A and see what it gives you for sound each time. You will find the right balance for sure. Class A amps love heat. :)

Thanks
Do