USB sound card for audio spectrum analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My advice for everyone looking for a sound card is to stay away from E-MU (and possibly Creative). Their drivers and software are horrible and they stop supporting them pretty quickly.
Look for USB sound cards that are plug-and-play capable (as I guess most are) and don't need specific drivers and software released by the manufacturer.

Just beware that the cards you mention are all limited to 16/44-48 in Windows.

That's fine for real world measurements, but fall well short of the needs of SOTA workers.

I have only been able to get 16bit/96KHz measurements out of this card. The cards need to be able to run full duplex, which few cards specify.

I'm pretty sure with difficulty I did 24/96 on a Xonar-U5. Even with the Scarlet I needed to run something like ARTA to set the sample rate and resolution and then go back to Audition to record. BTW you probably know Audacity almost always returns 8 zeros in the LSB's even set at 24 bit.

Arny is right the heyday seems to have passed on USB sound cards.

Last edited:
What happens when you use Audition directly and set the sample and bit rate in it?

Does Audacity truncate and zero fill for 24 bit?

It's a well known problem that Audacity uses a library that does not support 24 bits in the usual Windows sound environments. I'm not a Windows sound geek but MME or Direct Sound don't work and the WASAPI choice (which I gather can do 24 bits in some cases) is grayed out. You need to ask someone who knows the details.

It seems like there is something going on behind the scenes that sticks after one application connects and disconnects from the device. ????

It's easy to verify, just record a short section with input shorted and dump the data to a program that can actually look at the values (bits).

I'm pretty sure with difficulty I did 24/96 on a Xonar-U5. Even with the Scarlet I needed to run something like ARTA to set the sample rate and resolution and then go back to Audition to record. BTW you probably know Audacity almost always returns 8 zeros in the LSB's even set at 24 bit.

Arny is right the heyday seems to have passed on USB sound cards.
I think it is important for the card itself to work in 24bit/96KHz mode. I think I can go back and check the Xonar U7 again, but I have been trying for a long time.

Most cards are designed for musicians and the music industry, it seems for measurements, the design would be much simpler. Would love to see something that will just plug in and use.

I think it is important for the card itself to work in 24bit/96KHz mode. I think I can go back and check the Xonar U7 again, but I have been trying for a long time.

Most cards are designed for musicians and the music industry, it seems for measurements, the design would be much simpler. Would love to see something that will just plug in and use.

This is the U5 format selection portion of its app. I'll try again to get a screen shot of the actual data. I decided to use a field recorder off line on batteries to make recordings that really matter.

Attachments

• xon.jpg
    xon.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 474
I'm pretty sure with difficulty I did 24/96 on a Xonar-U5.

One categorical problem is that many if not most consumer oriented audio interfaces with high quality outputs do not have inputs with the same wonderful capabilities.

If you want any guarantee of symmetrical performance, then its off to the land of pro audio. Then you will find that there may be home studio oriented features that get in your way.

One categorical problem is that many if not most consumer oriented audio interfaces with high quality outputs do not have inputs with the same wonderful capabilities.

If you want any guarantee of symmetrical performance, then its off to the land of pro audio. Then you will find that there may be home studio oriented features that get in your way.

Only talking about 16 vs 24 bits right now not the finer performance points, in my experience all to often bits 16-23 are simply zeros.

Only talking about 16 vs 24 bits right now not the finer performance points, in my experience all to often bits 16-23 are simply zeros.

To be specific a lot of 24 bit consumer cards are truly > 16 bits for playback, but as you say the record sides are barely 16 bits if that.

If you loop them, it thus appears that the 24 bit sides aren't truely > 16 bit.

If you test them with a different card that has true >16 bit ADCs, the potential of the playback sides becomes apparent.

Full duplex is another issue, sorry for my mis-understanding.
I was hoping for something existing that would be good for measurements. The Xonar U7 I got was intended mainly for playback which seems to be good for such purpose. I was just hoping that it would be good for measurements, but apparently it was still insufficient for my needs. I am sure lots of DIYers hope there were some cost effective solution.

I was also wondering that USB 2.0 seems to have the bandwidth to do 24bit/192KHz, but no such product ever showed up. Perhaps such a device would need more power than could be supplied from the USB connection spec?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.