USB sound card for audio spectrum analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a while, I thought it would be a good idea to post performance of sound cards and other devices (QA400) as a sticky in this section of DIYaudio. Basically, loop back at 1Khz at a determined value and we post the image so we can see how well a card or device performs. Thoughts anyone?

If I had to pick a new USB card today, it would be either the Steinberg UR22 or the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Both based on specs and what I need them to do. I know some here has the 2i2 with a Win 7 machine, but not sure if anyone has the UR22.

For a while, I thought it would be a good idea to post performance of sound cards and other devices (QA400) as a sticky in this section of DIYaudio. Basically, loop back at 1Khz at a determined value and we post the image so we can see how well a card or device performs. Thoughts anyone?

If I had to pick a new USB card today, it would be either the Steinberg UR22 or the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. Both based on specs and what I need them to do. I know some here has the 2i2 with a Win 7 machine, but not sure if anyone has the UR22.

I would prefer a wider selection of frequensies. But the result would show a lot of other things as how good your computers PSU is shielded and rectified and so on. The devices would all be forced to be sent in and measured on a community agreed machine to be of any value.

Regards

Agreed, STEPs would be better.

I still think some repository of some testing to parse out good Vs very good cards would be helpful.

I agree... Such data is lacking out there (AFAIK), and if you look at it large picture that's quite puzzling having in mind this community and others like this and the need, among us, for such information... You'd think this would already be out there somewhere.

Sorry for bringing bad news. But you might class a good cheap card as **** as you only buy it for the very budget machine when it might give very good measurements on a rig that you would never consider to put that card in. You have to see the whole picture and not only measure the cards - one measures the whole system when a reading is made.

Regards

this thread is exactly what I've been looking for :)

What about this soundcard?
https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/

Yes, I've been looking at that also (especially given its Win XP support, as opposed to the cheaper U5), but I couldn't find much in terms of referrals for it in the audio communities out there... The E-MUs seem to be vouched for everywhere.

Though there was one website running some soundcard comparisons where the U5/U7 were highly recommended, but the tests were not specifically geared towards instrumentation or FFT use such as I intend to use it for. I'll try to find it and maybe stick it on here.

I was afraid you were going to make me do the search.:D The thread was called something like "USB vs PCIe soundcards." The J-test stuff was in the ARTA thread.

I'm sorry!... :)

In my defense, though, I've actually seen the thread and read it - though not all of it as thoroughly as I'd like -, but came out with a sense of desktop-heavy content and/or no clear winner I could actually purchase on the USB side. Not claiming finished homework though, FWIW...

(maybe I should have also qualified my request - point us out to which thread you are thinking of...)

Last edited:
Lynx Hilo (Hilo Reference A/D D/A Converter System) is nice, except the price:

LINE IN A/D PERFORMANCE
THD+N -114dB @1kHz, -1dBFS, 20kHz filter
Dynamic Range 121 dB, A-weighted, -60dBFS signal method
Frequency Resp. ± 0.01 dB, 20 – 20kHz
Crosstalk -140 dB maximum @ 1kHz, -1dBFS signal
LINE OUT D/A PERFORMANCE
THD+N -109dB @1kHz, -1dBFS, 20kHz filter
Dynamic Range 121 dB, A- weighted, -60dBFS signal method
Frequency Resp. ± 0.02 dB, 20 – 20kHz
Crosstalk -135 dB maximum @ 1kHz, -1dBFS signal

this thread is exactly what I've been looking for :)

What about this soundcard?
https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/
I have only been able to get 16bit/96KHz measurements out of this card. The cards need to be able to run full duplex, which few cards specify.

For listening, I found the sound quality quite superb for the price. I have used M-audio TRANSIT, Meridian Explorer, PCMCIA devices like Echo Indigo io, a two Creative cards. The XONAR U7 is among the best running pretty close to the Meridian Explorer (with the right cable) when you get the right USB cable in there. Generally 30cm USB cable, thicker and stiffer, shielded type (not flat). The cable I found best was the Benevo.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, since I could not find a reasonable device on USB that does 24bit/96KHz full duplex, I was wondering whether it is worth the effort to develop one just for diy measurement purposes. Just looking at stereo 24bit/96KHz full duplex running from a single clock. A friend tell me their chips might be able to do it.

Thoughts?

As a matter of fact, since I could not find a reasonable device on USB that does 24bit/96KHz full duplex, I was wondering whether it is worth the effort to develop one just for diy measurement purposes. Just looking at stereo 24bit/96KHz full duplex running from a single clock. A friend tell me their chips might be able to do it.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you are aware of the legacy eMu cards, and we are all aware of their aging OS support.

Current popularly-priced products include the Scarlett 2i4 family, which I find to be a good 100 dB device. This means it is good enough for situations where good audible performance is being checked for, but not necessarily for SOTA applications.

There was apparently a heyday of high performance USB devices, but it seems to have passed, probably because of the size of the actual market for them.

Another approach is to use independent devices for input and output, thus relaxing demands for full duplex. High performance USB DACs seem to be far more common then high performance USB ADC's.

My advice for everyone looking for a sound card is to stay away from E-MU (and possibly Creative). Their drivers and software are horrible and they stop supporting them pretty quickly.
Look for USB sound cards that are plug-and-play capable (as I guess most are) and don't need specific drivers and software released by the manufacturer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.