USB based DAC project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ANYBODY

I want to use my existing NOS DAC but it doesn't have a USB input. I have seen USB to SPDIF units, has anyone any experience with these in their system.
Would it be better to get a new USB DAC? This is for a high end audio system but I want to use my laptop with iTunes.

Any advice welcome!

Thank you for your comments.

New schematic attached.

All Function and HID inputs grounded.

Attachments

• usb_bus_p_v2.jpg
    usb_bus_p_v2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 550
Hello,

I'm still struggling with the PCM2706.

I have build on a stripboard the attached schematic.

Any idea what went wrong.

The message i get is that the device has malfuctioned and cannot be recognised by windows.

Any suggestions welcome, I'm desperate.

Thank you

Attachments

• usb_1.jpg
    usb_1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 432
If it's helpful to you, you can find my PCM2707 implementation schematic and PCB here. PCM2707 is pin-compatible with PCM2706 so I guess this might be useful. It is confirmed working.

FSEL should have a pull up/down so it can't inadvertently be floating (and then it only needs a 2-pin jumper). U2 is a 74LVC1G08, a 1 gate 2-input AND with 5-volt tolerant inputs as a level switcher, run with Vcc at 3.3V. It's not strictly required, just makes sure the device won't start up without local power (voltage divider on Vbus works too), but don't put 5V here.

Pretty straightforward.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.