Update on Pa's new F5?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno how's that with you guys, but I have a problem with F5

pretty much I have zillion of iterations of same, even few with just one pot needed for fire up-set-go ( and yes, confirmed as functional on T-Bed) , with everything solved in DC domain, but my problem with F5 is that I'm unable to sort main obstacle - I can't solve AC behavior of F5 to have at least half expectable performance, without using THD Spectra measurement

in short - change input JFet source resistance, or change JFet for another one from same bag, THD SPectra goes ........ somewhere

in short, I can't solve it to be simple enough for regular Greedy Boy

though, it needs to be qualification ticket for membership in Papaland, having decent soundcard, proper attenuator/interface for same and decent dummy load

:rofl:

Isn't this just standard F5 without your extra current sense resistors ?
I thought you want to remove Rs ?

PS We have different interest. I am more interested in distortion.

Patrick

Yes, it was accidental that I had the source resistor in that example. Here is a similar simulation with both the source resistor gone AND the Q3 drain resistor gone. Wacko circuit self regulates no matter what. But, the idle current sensitivity to small parameter changes gets bad as those resistors get smaller.

Attachments

• F5-2021-LHQ-1-upper-1-XXX.asc.jpg
    F5-2021-LHQ-1-upper-1-XXX.asc.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 602
The larger the value of R1, the more stable the bias.
I used 1.2R.

Patrick

1.2R is large in series with an output driver and a speaker load. Feedback will keep the output correct, but significant voltage headroom will be lost. Consider a 4R load with 1.2R in series. The speaker will only receive a maximum of 77% (4R/(5.2R) the possible voltage swing as with R1 removed.