Unusual amp from 1987

A curiosity: Wiederhold/Lomakin/Parshin derivative from 2016 with triple EF output, designed by T117

"If you want to build a really cool amp, that could sound better brand of amplifiers, you can build it for this schematics. This is a very simple amplifier, but there aren't many amps better than him.

1.The triple output stage is always needed, regardless of the type of VAS. This output stage has a high linearity. I do not offer a simple and bad decisions.

2. VAS contains 4 of the transistor. This is a very small number and this is the best solution how to get out of this small number of transistors is such good value of THD
." - T117

Attachments

• T117_amp.jpg
    T117_amp.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Hi-Fi power amp.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bloomley Hartsuiker

If anybody is interested in buildable Blomley, here is modified Hans Hartsuiker version,
slightly improved, that at least sims ok.
It has symmetrical rails - primary reason I gave up on 'regular' Blomley..
From what I remember Blomley was a good candidate to add servo to it to control output DC offset..

Attachments

• bloomley_hartsuiker_schematic.png
    bloomley_hartsuiker_schematic.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 492
  • hartsuiker_blomley.simple.asc
    9.1 KB · Views: 89
  • hartsuiker_blomley.zero_trim.asc
    10.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Blomley_50W.jpg
    Blomley_50W.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
If anybody is interested in buildable Blomley, here is modified Hans Hartsuiker version,
slightly improved, that at least sims ok.
It has symmetrical rails - primary reason I gave up on 'regular' Blomley..
From what I remember Blomley was a good candidate to add servo to it to control output DC offset..

minek, thank you for the sims, but frankly, it is neither promising, nor appears to surpass Lomakin & Parshin/wiederhold.

A run-of-the-mill Blameless can stand 1uF across the load without a sweat. I think that work around this interesting circuit and make It able to do the same, worth the effort. I'm talking the Wiederhold hex quasi.

Agree. Quasi hexfet output, despite being "outdated" topology, can run very low quiescent current and tolerates easily the complex loads. Several years ago I have built a single channel Quasi NMOS200, with just a single pair output, set Iq somewhere 40mA, it sounded very good. However the drivers of FEts are critically. When I replaced 1381/3503 (or similar, I don't remember accurately what drivers was applied first) to MJE15034/35 the sound improved noticeably. More robust driver, more effortless sound. Perhaps because the output FETS and emitters of drivers are working on same load, so the latter can help the FETs in critical crossover region.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting question in quasi design, is "Where to place temperature sensor Vbe multiplier transistor?".
In quasi, one half of the output is EF, the other half is CFP. Each of them need different tempco.
For one of them temp sensor needs to be placed on the output device, for the other one - on the driver.
So basically it's almost impossible to get it right for quasi design - that's why I wasn't overly concerned about using LED vs. 1N4148 diode in the spreader.
Luckily, it's a bigger problem for BJT outputs, not a big deal for Fets.
Correct location of BIAS Vbe thermal sensor
See this thread (E.g. post #10) for details - it's from several years ago, when I was building NMOS200 amp (just like Egra did).
Great amp, by the way. All in all, I built six of them :)
In this one, I'm planning to place Vbe spreader on the driver's heatsink.
What you guys think?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Here is LMK with few changes (2 resistors added around Q5).
FFT profile looks better.
Perhaps Maxim can tell if these changes make sense?

Attachments

• radio_1987_09_latfet3_schematic.png
    radio_1987_09_latfet3_schematic.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 269
  • radio_1987_09_latfet3_thd.png
    radio_1987_09_latfet3_thd.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 251
  • radio_1987_09_latfet3_fft.png
    radio_1987_09_latfet3_fft.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 144
  • radio_1987_09_latfet3.asc
    9.5 KB · Views: 62