Unique CFA 120/230W amp

OK no problem ,could be like this ? ;)
Regards ,Alex

Attachments

• CFA DADOD 2 PAIR OT.jpg
    CFA DADOD 2 PAIR OT.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 817
I am in the process to assemble two types of CFA, 120W latmosfet amp and 200W vmosfet amp.
I ordered the PCBs and components, and I hope in near future those amps will sing with no stability problems. Both amps use a compensation a bit different from other amps (as much as I know), combination of OIC(Output Inclusive Compensation) and MC(Miller compensation) with a twist as OIC use two pole compensation.
This Unique amp is with quite similar ISP as with other OPS variations. I did not want to go for separate IPS and OPS board as in my opinion that is not possible to do without some compromises I don't want to make.
Here is 120W TT CFA, amp with sensational low THD and very good PM and GM, in simulation, and when I finished a test with first two amp I will make the layout for this amp, in my opinion, with output power good for most DIYers.
Damir

Attachments

• 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-sch.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-sch.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 851
Very impressive design - as allways with you dadod:)

It´s interesting the way you use advanced "compensation" are these helping for your low distortion figures?

You don´t use any load resistors this time from VAS collector to ground to minimize loop gain?
Can you also show curves with open loop bandwith and open loop gain?

Thanks Again

Very impressive design - as allways with you dadod:)

It´s interesting the way you use advanced "compensation" are these helping for your low distortion figures?

You don´t use any load resistors this time from VAS collector to ground to minimize loop gain?
Can you also show curves with open loop bandwith and open loop gain?

Thanks Again

I tried partial shunt VAS compensation(look previous schematic), but with this Miller compensation(C14 R60) distortion is lower at high frequencies, and why to waste useful gain if it could be use as local NFB. :)
Here is the Loop Gain, I think it is more useful than the Opel Loop Gain as it shows the Phase Margin and the Gain Margin.
Damir

Attachments

• 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-LG.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-LG.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 751
Thanks dadod:)

Please see PM from me I have sent you a schematic from NAD M3 service manual showing CF amplifier inputstage with special modifications, have you seen these before?
"notice the Circuit around Q308 I marked with yellow"

Maybe it´s something you could test in simulation program??

I tried partial shunt VAS compensation(look previous schematic), but with this Miller compensation(C14 R60) distortion is lower at high frequencies, and why to waste useful gain if it could be use as local NFB. :)
Here is the Loop Gain, I think it is more useful than the Opel Loop Gain as it shows the Phase Margin and the Gain Margin.
Damir

Hi Damir

The design has very good performance, congrats.

If you look closely youll notice C14 R60 shunts to ground via R43 so its not ordinary miller compensation. The only reason you have more loop gain here is the addition of the added resistance before GND. Also the loop gain plot is typical of TPC, which is nothing more than a 2 shunts. These shunts can also be called - lead lag and I have seen many other acronyms, because of the introduction of the resistance but the behaviour is typical of what is called shunt compensation. When I find the particular paper by Willy Sansen with analysis of TPC and shunt compensation Ill send you a copy.

Hi Damir

The design has very good performance, congrats.

If you look closely youll notice C14 R60 shunts to ground via R43 so its not ordinary miller compensation. The only reason you have more loop gain here is the addition of the added resistance before GND. Also the loop gain plot is typical of TPC, which is nothing more than a 2 shunts. These shunts can also be called - lead lag and I have seen many other acronyms, because of the introduction of the resistance but the behaviour is typical of what is called shunt compensation. When I find the particular paper by Willy Sansen with analysis of TPC and shunt compensation Ill send you a copy.

Hi Manso,
I was thinking in that direction too and I think you are right. If I connect this Miller compensation directly to the EF bases(now with two RC circuit) I could not get the LG curve I want. The TPOIC resistor(R43) play a role in this shunt behavior. I am just finishing my later MOSFET amp with the same compensation and it will show if the concept is stable (according to D. Self it should not be).
Thank you for your offer to send me a copy
BR Damir

Upgraded version, THD below 1 ppm at 50W at all frequencies.
I can't get better than that with any amp I simulated, VFA or CFA.

Attachments

• 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-sch.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-sch.png
    65 KB · Views: 569
  • 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-LG.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-LG.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 553
  • 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-FFT1k.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-FFT1k.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 465
Hi Manso,
I was thinking in that direction too and I think you are right. If I connect this Miller compensation directly to the EF bases(now with two RC circuit) I could not get the LG curve I want. The TPOIC resistor(R43) play a role in this shunt behavior. I am just finishing my later MOSFET amp with the same compensation and it will show if the concept is stable (according to D. Self it should not be).
Thank you for your offer to send me a copy
BR Damir

I just forgot to mention, the compensation concept is sound. It is working and it is stable in VMOSFET CFA 200W amp and it should work here.