Understanding Iq

From Papa's article, "Typically, a Class AB stereo amplifier rated at 200 watts per channel continuously should be capable of delivering 700 watts or so, and this means a transformer rating of about 2000 watts. Anything less means non-continuous operation." Is there a mathematical calculation being done in the background?

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
So sorry could not resist this one .... (apologies to the female members)
before I get banned ... its a joke honestly

Screenshot 2024-03-17 165157.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Reading thru this I again wondered why voltage is represented by E. With a little help from google I ended up on Fluke's Learning page, looks like a nice simple explanation for many electrical terms etc. Seems like a valuable resource for those of us wanting to follow along when the SMart guys on here speak.

Also started listening to the link supplied by @wdecho, but that gonna take some time and serious concentration. Time I seem to have, concentration.....
E stands for electromotive force which is a long way of saying voltage.

You should appreciate that "Iq" is not a common engineering variable and is a somewhat arbitrary variable designator probably referring to the bias current in amplifier output circuits. It means nothing to those outside the amplifier design community and may just as well be called something else like "idle current" or "cross-over bias". For class-A amplifiers, "Iq" will be the peak output current. For class-AB, "Iq" will be about 1% of the peak output current. For class-B "Iq" will be a tiny current near zero. For class-C, Iq=0. If you Google "bias current", you will find lots of articles because that is a more common description.

Reactions: 1 user