Ultimate Subwoofer Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
simon5 said:
Ultimate drivers currently available...

Aurasound NRT 18-8
25 Hz Fs, 18 mm Xmax, 96 dB/W/m, 800W RMS, 0.26 Qts

Precision Devices PD2150
22 Hz Fs, 12 mm Xmax, 99 dB/W/m, 1000W RMS, 0.19 Qts

PD2450 could be a nice candidate too, but the Fs is listed at 30 Hz but resonance is listed at 25 Hz, then they don't list Xmax.
For an overhung motor, one-way Xmax is conventionally calculated as the (voice coil height - voice coil gap height)/2.

Though the driver isn't a high spl driver.. the eton 12 inch should be on the list as well IF their distortion measurements are accurate and at least at reference level:

http://www.eton-gmbh.de/dlstream.php?FileId=64

..amazing how little the distortion increases near the driver's mechanical resonance. This would likely be the driver for a DIY version of genlec's "home" subs. (VERY expensive though.)

ultimate subwoofer driver

Put aside all data and try to learn from experiences.

as mentionned before, the Eton 12" driver is awsome. Very fast!!!dry and seemingly limitless bass. You can clearly hear the lack of distortion.

The most obvious downturn is the price.

Nevertheless I found 4 of these drivers to fulfill my every need in bass-nirvana.

Still, there are ways to getting hold of these drivers at much less than MSRP.

Re: ultimate subwoofer driver

mach.88 said:
Put aside all data and try to learn from experiences.

as mentionned before, the Eton 12" driver is awsome. Very fast!!!dry and seemingly limitless bass. You can clearly hear the lack of distortion.

The most obvious downturn is the price.

Nevertheless I found 4 of these drivers to fulfill my every need in bass-nirvana.

Still, there are ways to getting hold of these drivers at much less than MSRP.

Yup, 4 drivers was what I was thinking.. specifically each in their own sealed enclosures.

OK, you tease! :D Just WHERE can you get them "at much less than MSRP"?

Scott, I see you have the right approach. Individual closed cabinets is exactly what I use...

I have a dealer who sold a pack of 8 to me for 62% of MRSP. 8 I used and the other ones where used by a friend of mine in Australia.

If you are seriously interested, I would check if my dealer would be willing to do this deal again. Maybe if others join in...

Sorry! Hit the wrong button. I used 4 only! The other 4 went to the kangaroo and the land of Jarra (great for tonearm-bases...)...

Another interesting adress for bassdrivers is www.visaton.de.

They have great 10" and 12" drivers. Look for the TIX 250 XS and the TIW 300.

Visaton drivers "feel" more comfortable in a vented cabinet.

By the way, ever auditioned a Burmester B80 or B88. Great bass...wasn´t it?! Well these were the Visaton drivers you heard.

mach.88 said:
Scott, I see you have the right approach. Individual closed cabinets is exactly what I use...

I have a dealer who sold a pack of 8 to me for 62% of MRSP. 8 I used and the other ones where used by a friend of mine in Australia.

If you are seriously interested, I would check if my dealer would be willing to do this deal again. Maybe if others join in...

No, not at this time.. :bawling: But thanks! ;)

Its just always nice to know possibly better sources that can be conveyed to others that are serious.

I've never heard any burmeister equipment, sadly.

Another interesting adress for bassdrivers is www.visaton.de.

They have great 10" and 12" drivers. Look for the TIX 250 XS and the TIW 300.

Visaton drivers "feel" more comfortable in a vented cabinet.
[/B]

Darn... why do visaton always use a -10dB secification for bandwith? I have now idea how to translate that to -3dB. The Viston SUB T-20.39 looks definitely like something I could use in my small room with 5.1 digital cinema. But those specs are sort of useless to me...

ScottG said:

The 21 inch PD's.

I tried modeling it.. talk about absurd volume requirements - it seems to be good ONLY for the bag end design, or IB in an attic space. Of course both will need a lot of eq. but the bag end design will need a LOT more eq.. (..which will naturally increase distortion "sub"stantially.)

The graph I posted was for a closed box of 2x 70 litres volume, that gave a Qtc of about 0,6 and a theroretical -3dB of 78Hz. Not very low, but if you consider that being -3dB from 104,5dB's/2,83V/1m (two drivers parallel) you can imagine at 20Hz there is still some serious SPL left over for normal hifi use and it needs hardly any bass-boost so distortion is low. The parametric eq shows no boost at 28Hz, + 2dB's at 20Hz and +6dB's at 16Hz. (sorry about the reflections on the photo's but it was taken from my TV screen - the scale on the left runs from +6 to -12dB)

If I had used a closed box with a Qtc of 0,5 then I would have only needed +3dB boost at 16Hz but the enclosure would have grown to 2x 110 litres - maybe I might do that after all. ;)

So the clue is to use high SPL bass drivers and cut their efficiency at the top end by using a lower Fx than normal. Using a Velodyne SMS-1 in combination with a 2x 400 watts UCD amp, I can get -3dB at 15Hz in my living room with 3260cm2 of cone area and ruler flat - I can assure you, that does sound quite nice. :cool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is what I'm doing with my one :) I think I have a Qts of about 0.35, but my 'room gain' is about 6db/oct from 85-90Hz and from 40Hz it goes uo to 12dB/oct :)

which should give a nice flat response with a little lift at the very low end :)

Attachments

• sub baffle.jpg
    sub baffle.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 532
Re: Re: ultimate subwoofer driver

ScottG said:

Yup, 4 drivers was what I was thinking.. specifically each in their own sealed enclosures.

OK, you tease! :D Just WHERE can you get them "at much less than MSRP"?

Why use 4, when 1 will do just fine?

I am speaking of long term personal experience with the Tumult.

And seperate sealed enclosures yields no benefit. In fact it makes it more prone to variability in response. And it makes it more prone to PLD frequency and phase issues in the room.

Why 4?

More cone surface (my room is about 450square feet), less excursion ergo less distortion at reasonnable levels, depending on posiotioning better damping of radiation ergo less problems with room modes... and the list could go on and on.

4 of these 12" Etons just did it!

So much for experience...

With my active crossover I even can work with reasonable amps (not those prowlertype 1.5kW monstern without any dampingfactor...). 400W at 4 Ohms do more than a great job to drive two drivers at a time.

Re: Re: Re: ultimate subwoofer driver

AudialDelta said:

Why use 4, when 1 will do just fine?

I am speaking of long term personal experience with the Tumult.

And seperate sealed enclosures yields no benefit. In fact it makes it more prone to variability in response. And it makes it more prone to PLD frequency and phase issues in the room.

What mach.88 and Puggie said..

Additionally you'll note that I was specifically refering to the genlec sub.. In this configuration you'll have only a little benefit with room modes over a signle driver configuration (because without seperate subwoofers you can't place them in different parts of the room). So then why the seperate enclosure per driver located in the same area? Why distortion, what else? With the single sealed enclosure per driver you have a better chance of controling pressurization and stored energy in the box. You will likely also decrease cabinet vibration.

..but its mostly about having less current bouncing and burning through the VC and less excursion - i.e. again less distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.