Ultimate Subwoofer Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
Hi Circlo,
Can you expand on that.

I would expect the response to be very droopy after passing below the Fb which for Q=0.19 could be way up at 50Hz.

Low Q does not suit flat response to low frequency.

You compensate it at the top-end. Due to its high 99dB efficiency, absolutly speaking you still have plenty of output level in the 20-30Hz range compared to a standard subwoofer. So instead of boosting the bass, you kill the upper end output level. ;)

I use two of them in my living room and with some active correction I can get a -3dB point of 15Hz from a closed box with hardly any visual cone movement. :cool: The box on the photo has another PD2150 on the opposite side to the one that can be seen.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm going with the stick it in a car solution and use the cabin gain, the rising response of 6db/oct from about 75Hz rising to 12dB/oct should prop the bottom end up nicely :)

it's his fault ^^^^^^^^^^^ he agreed it might work and wasn't a crazy (well not too crazy) idea!!!

Subwoofer suggestion

Hello Friends , Iam Looking for the ultimate 15" or 18" subwoofer driver. I have in mind the Aurasound NRT 18-8 and the Adireaudo tumult subwoofer 18D series . Do you guys think there are any better subwoofer drivers past the aurasound and Adireaudio.I heard that there is a company in thailand or philipines iam not sure ,which is called paudio or ps audio iam not sure about the name.I heard its good too.Can you people suggest the best driver in performance and sheer powerhandling.Iam going to construct an ultimate passive subwoofer for my speakers.I would be grateful if you gues help me out on this issue.Thanks a ton pals

AJinFLA said:
Ok, the place that sells (or soon will) the "ultimate" driver (subwoofer, tweeter, you name it) is here: http://www.ologyaudio.com/

cheers,

AJ

Umm, those don't even exist yet, so how can you say that they are the ulitmate anything?

It's no problem to get excited about them, but I don't think Accuton or Fostex are going to stop making speakers just because of a link and some specs.

Boy they sure do have the hype train loaded up and rolling though.

P.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
pneuma said:

Umm, those don't even exist yet, so how can you say that they are the ulitmate anything?

It's no problem to get excited about them, but I don't think Accuton or Fostex are going to stop making speakers just because of a link and some specs.

Boy they sure do have the hype train loaded up and rolling though.

P.

I think AJ was being sarcastic.

Deadly Subwoofer?

Hey Guys ,
I was looking for the ultimate subwoofer driver and i came across this driver.It is used in the wilson audio watch dog subwoofer , I dont know what brand driver it is , but it is mammoth , I have attched a picture with this message and you guys look at it and tell me what brand it is , If i can get it in the market I would surely use it in my subwoofer project which I intend to start soon.

Attachments

• watchdog.jpg
    watchdog.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 773
OK.. Now even I'm impressed! Looks like he is using the velodyne eq. preamp as well. He isn't getting quite the low freq. extension that I think should be strived for.. but I'm starting to agree with his forum name.

What I'd really like to see is THD plotted against freq.. for this driver - both at 1 watt and 100 watts. As it stands the driver could be picking a nominal freq. like 100 Hz and then getting their distortion ratings for 1 watt. (.. which is absurd for sub-bass.) Hmm, looks like distortion is at least rated at 100 watts.

ScottG said:
OK.. Now even I'm impressed! Looks like he is using the velodyne eq. preamp as well. He isn't getting quite the low freq. extension that I think should be strived for.. but I'm starting to agree with his forum name.

What I'd really like to see is THD plotted against freq.. for this driver - both at 1 watt and 100 watts. As it stands the driver could be picking a nominal freq. like 100 Hz and then getting their distortion ratings for 1 watt. (.. which is absurd for sub-bass.) Hmm, looks like distortion is at least rated at 100 watts.
Which driver are you talking about?

asside from the double spiders it doesnt look like anything too exotic. I'd say you could get a better driver for a smaller price without any knowledge of that woofer's specs, or price. Just knowing that its in any of wilson audio's speakers is enough to know that its overpriced.

454Casull said:

Which driver are you talking about?

The 21 inch PD's.

I tried modeling it.. talk about absurd volume requirements - it seems to be good ONLY for the bag end design, or IB in an attic space. Of course both will need a lot of eq. but the bag end design will need a LOT more eq.. (..which will naturally increase distortion "sub"stantially.)

Re: Ultimate Subwoofer Driver Suggestion

cemmany said:
Hello Friends , Iam Looking for the ultimate 15" or 18" subwoofer driver. Can you people suggest the best driver in performance and sheer powerhandling.Iam going to construct an ultimate passive subwoofer for my speakers. I would be grateful if you gues help me out on this issue.Thanks a ton pals

You don't really plan to use a high quality sub, and run it passive do you?

My personal favorite from the DIY market is the Adire Audio Tumult. Very clean and tons of output. It is "too clean" for the average listeners' musical "reference". The lack of distortion is associated with less output. In other words, you can turn it up a lot louder before it sounds loud. Despite what the walls, floor, ceiling, and neighbors can feel.

Ultimate drivers currently available...

Aurasound NRT 18-8
25 Hz Fs, 18 mm Xmax, 96 dB/W/m, 800W RMS, 0.26 Qts

Precision Devices PD2150
22 Hz Fs, 12 mm Xmax, 99 dB/W/m, 1000W RMS, 0.19 Qts

PD2450 could be a nice candidate too, but the Fs is listed at 30 Hz but resonance is listed at 25 Hz, then they don't list Xmax.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.