Ultimate real fullrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking for the best fullrange driver that can cover the bigger part of audio frequency range.
I've thought about Jordan JX92S that seems to be a good compromise, little diameter for treble, big Xmax for bass. What do you think about this choice and in which kind of load? Horn, TL or BR. I think the TL or BR is a better choice regarding T&S parameter. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a BR whith a volume of Vas accorded at Fs (15liter, 45hz) makes some people happy. I simulate this on WinISD and it give the better bass response -3dB point at 45Hz.

I think lowther or fostex are very good speaker too, but it seems to be very difficult to achieve good bass with them, too low Xmax. I have not enough room to install something like Nelson Pass's Klein-Horn... Maybe the best solution to load this kind of speaker...

My music taste is a little progressive rock and a lot classical music (I'm a professional violonist in a french orchestra) whith (of course) a preference for violin music. I like to listen the different sound of all the best violonists (unfortunetly almost all dead today :( ).
For me the best solution I've heard to distingue all this sound difference are esl or magneplanar but I'm sure that a good fullrange can do the same...

Regards
Hugues

Jordan is excellent......

Don't want to be called an eretic (BTW we are in the full range forum), but i would just drop my impressions on the Jordan.
I've built the Jordan jx 92s TL enclosure according to the jordan site, listened to the smaller MLTL always based on the Jordan, and I have to agree that both these designs are excellent,with just a couple of drawbacks:
- dynamic is limited (and is not a problem of my amp)
- upper register is not so refined as the medium range.
These issue both disappeared once i've realized the Jim Griffin Minimonitor with the AC G2SI.
You will not loose coherency, dynamic is much better, and you gain a very refined treble.
Not from a tonal point of view, but as per the detail, you have something in the range of the Crosby modified Quad ESL63.
A few days back I had the onor of the visit of the director of Padua Conservatory, audiophile Himself and owner of an incredible (=really expensive) system.
He left my house praying me to realize for him such speakers!
With these boxes I've discovered a really new sound in most of the records I own where there are bowed instruments and brasses.
Please note that I have no affiliation with J. Griffin.
Is just that if you need a small detailed and correct system, this is IMHO the way to go. Remember to feed them a least with a very very refined 30-80 W power amp.
Just my 2 cents.

Ciao

Paolo

I forgot to say that the bass range is far way more extended than the one you can achieve with any lowther in 2 meters height horns. This is based on real facts, it's not just supposition.

Dynamics are always limited in with less drivers.

The compensation network on the Jordan site compensates well for the low end. However, you will loss some highs. The Jim Griffin design is a good tradeoff to maintain effeciency and increase dynamics.

If you want to compensate better using the JX92 alone, the efficiency will suffer. This is one thing I am trying to do during my spare time.

We're talking ultimate drivers here? Lowther every time.
And no, it's not impossible to get bass out of them; you just have to be creative. Martin's done an ML-TL project with them, and apparantly they work extremely well:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Project04.html
If you can't stomach the DX price, I suspect it will still work quite well with the much cehaper PM6C.

And I believe Bob has got a more refined version of his own which can also work with the Fostex FE207E in the works, although it might be a while in appearing on the site: he's still putting the finishing touches to his BR FE167E stand-mount / floor-stander (whichever floats your boat) hybrid.

Any other rivals? The Fostex F200A; this is Lowther terretory though, so it's horses for courses. I suspect the Fostex might have the stonger bass ultimately in, say, Bob's TL cabinet, but the Lowther's will be better in every other area. Then again, remember you can have the best driver in the world, but if you put it into a badly matched cabinet; you won't get very far: I've heard Lowthers sound far worse than my FE167Es in Martin's ML-TQWT and Bob's ML-TL enclosures thanks to the box they've been stuffed into. Conversely, I've heard cheap Pioneers sound better than badly matched Fostex.
I haven't heard the Jordans, so I won't pass comment, other than to say by reputation, I'm sure they're excellent, and I'm sure I'll aquire a pair over the coming months to play with, but you're never going to get a huge quantity of bass from what is basically a 3 inch driver.

I guess Veravox should outperform Jordan, if you like small metal diaphragms. I prefer big paper cones.
Next weekend I´ll hopefully listening to the whole range of Veravox.
People/magazines say the Veravox 5(S or X) is the best midrange ever and also a brilliant fullranger. Not cheap but still cheaper than a Lowther.
Did you get a chance to listen to any of them?
BTW: Isn´t the Veravox 3 the only metal chassis?

greets

http://www.visaton-bausaetze.de/hifi/index.htm?/hifi/little_wing.htm
(5S with supertweeter)

joensd said:

People/magazines say the Veravox 5(S or X) is the best midrange ever and also a brilliant fullranger. Not cheap but still cheaper than a Lowther.

greets

(5S with supertweeter)

Would be interested in knowing what the results are.
I sthere a site where we can view the specs?

joensd said:

greets

(5S with supertweeter)

I never listened to a Veravox, but my impression of ALR-Jordan speakers is that I prefer a softer sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.