Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Don't know what OB means?? That's a paddlin...

Attachments

• obbadass.jpg
    obbadass.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 883
My implementation of the PAP Trio15 & Lowther DX3 & Leonidas XO.

Now playing for 4 months without changing. (exeptional for me !!)

Also pics of Mundorf boards : Leonidas XO

Last pics prove the XO is good for tweaking : the room , personal taste & different FullRange units.

Ze'ev voiced a difficult room : all concrete steel glass , with the Voxativ 1.6 with very good results !!

This is what I designed it for. Satisfied !!

sinc. Leon.

That's some nice work!
I've been discreetly amplifying each driver in my system with mostly tube amps, actively crossed over.

Recently I made a 3 way splitter box, with vintage mil spec silver mica caps filtering each amp's line level inputs.
I like the sound of direct coupling the amp to the driver, while being fortunate enough to have drivers whose upper range rolls off smoothly enough to hand over to a first order filtered amp.
Used quality amplification is plentiful these days, and reasonably priced.
I tried this out on an open baffle pair of Alpair 12s, with one tube amp, and 2 pairs of GRS 10" woofers, driven with an old Sumo amp, with very fine results.
Just make sure to do your line level wiring in twisted pairs, otherwise it's almost sure to hum.
I find no downside to filtering the deep bass from a full ranger in this way, and even high quality caps are cheap.

My implementation of the PAP Trio15 & Lowther DX3 & Leonidas XO.

Now playing for 4 months without changing. (exeptional for me !!)

Also pics of Mundorf boards : Leonidas XO

Last pics prove the XO is good for tweaking : the room , personal taste & different FullRange units.

Ze'ev voiced a difficult room : all concrete steel glass , with the Voxativ 1.6 with very good results !!

This is what I designed it for. Satisfied !!

sinc. Leon.

The speakers really fit the very nice looking room you have there!
I guess it's a passive design?
I'm curious of the crossover points chosen and if the the woofers can deliver the same kind of sensitivity in the bass as the Lowthers do in the rest of the spectrum? I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to construct woofers that can put out bass down to to say 35-40Hz on a narrow OB at sensitivities anywhere near that of fullrangers (95-97dB). What is your experience regarding this?

The speakers really fit the very nice looking room you have there!
I guess it's a passive design?
I'm curious of the crossover points chosen and if the the woofers can deliver the same kind of sensitivity in the bass as the Lowthers do in the rest of the spectrum? I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to construct woofers that can put out bass down to to say 35-40Hz on a narrow OB at sensitivities anywhere near that of fullrangers (95-97dB). What is your experience regarding this?

Hello Oido,
I get close to 40Hz with 2 15" EV per channel.
Had to reduce the tweeter (FT96 Fostex) with 6dB.
This is passive, cut the woofers at 5kHz or so.
They don't need any extra bass, but they are huge, 3 times bigger than yours I'd say

Attachments

• IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    706.2 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_7795.JPG
    IMG_7795.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 661
Hello Oido,
I get close to 40Hz with 2 15" EV per channel.
Had to reduce the tweeter (FT96 Fostex) with 6dB.
This is passive, cut the woofers at 5kHz or so.
They don't need any extra bass, but they are huge, 3 times bigger than yours I'd say
Nice work head1962!
I think they have a distinct marine feeling to them, with the shape and the material. You must get a quality of seamlessness through high bass and midrange without a crossover there. I'm not sure of these particular woofers, but don't you still get quite a "bump" in the midrange compared to bass output? /oido

Oido : there is NO eq or dsp !! Just my passive Leonidas XO.
In my room ; DX3 in minus 8 db.
Sound is optimised for medium 85~88 db. SPL.
according Fletcher and Munson I need plus 6dB bass for this level with smooth transition to the mid/highs.
Eff. about 88 /89 dB watt.
OK, I understand. A bit sad to throw away all that efficiency, but then again, there is no design without compromises, and you do get a very nice responce curve out of it. /oido

Just thought I should share some abandoned design ideas, in case it could serve as inspiration:

Attachments

• 150819 open baffle09.jpg
    150819 open baffle09.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 1,738
  • 150924 open baffle03.jpg
    150924 open baffle03.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 151008 open baffle04.jpg
    151008 open baffle04.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,633
  • 151103 open baffle03e.jpg
    151103 open baffle03e.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • 151127 open baffle01b.jpg
    151127 open baffle01b.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 939
Hello everyone. I want to ask here about an idea that ocurred to a friend of mine while helping me figure out ways to deal with bass in open baffle speakers, room interaction and keeping bass "boxless". I have built a prototype using 2 alpha 15a drivers in a baffle, an open frame on the back and wrapping that frame around with a blanket of felt material. The idea is to create some delay between the front and back wave of the speaker but using some kind of non resonant, "breathing" material that can allow the use of smaller baffles and or lower QTS drivers and also help dissipate part of the signal that can reflect on the rear walls and eventually get to my listening position. I made a test wrapping only the right channel and did a mono test. The image went inmediately to that side and the bass increased noticeably compared to the left speaker. and no strange sounds or noises are present...opinions??

Well, I have lived for 25 years with a pair of two way open baffle speakers 120 cm wide and 1 m high with a thick layer of horse hair felt on the full back. 6 db filtering at 600 herz.
These spakers have a lot of bass for the technology.

they were . . . the 1957 Quad's.​

(I dumped them for three reasons: WAF, bass-heavy tendency and balanced sound only at higher levels, such as 85-90 dB).
WAF: how they fit in the room. They did not.