Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Originally posted by MITsound
I tried routering mine, and got a hot mess, then wound up with jagged jigsaw speaker holes.

What type of router bit did you use? Straight blade?

I have successfully cut perspex with my CNC machine using 6.35mm (1/4") double flute up-cut bits at 12,000rpm. Maybe you could try similar bits in your hand-held (?) router, if you haven't already.

Have not cut much perspex, and what I've cut has been with a CNC router and not handheld. Using a 1/4" 2 flute up-cut bit showed no chipping. Couldn't tell you much more than it was 4mm thick perspex of unknown brand, and I cut leaf shapes out of it. Never tried cutting in 1 pass, but used 3 shallow passes I think.

I would imagine a rebate could be lasered in a similar way to text/image engraving is done in materials with a laser. Again a number of shallower passes could be used to end up with a deeper rebate. I guess the excess material is just 'vaporized'?

Hello all, out of necessity, I'm running my four 10" subs in two u frames, off of one 1000 watt plate amp. Even up to 150 hertz, 4th order filtered, this spread mono bass is great in my room. Anyone tried this in theirs?
Can't figure out how to download photos yet with a new phone.

If you check back, you'll see many threads about multi-Sub layouts, going back nearly twenty years.

Old, but interesting topic!

Hello all, sick at home today, and goofing around with Seas and EJ Jordan 8 and 2 inch drivers, actively crossed at 300, and 2500 hertz.
Absurdly good sound, especially counting the 5 minute "build"!
I will be pursuing this upfiring against a reflector idea further.

Attachments

• 2015-11-04 09.39.20.jpg
    2015-11-04 09.39.20.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 2,013
BG NEO3 / BETSY / EMINENCE ALPHA 15 A

The tweeter is a BG Neo-3, the midrange is a Wildburro Audio Betsy and the 2 woofers are Eminence Alpha 15A.

The system is tri-amplified fully active using a Behringer DCX 2496 crossover, two DIY Gainclones for bass and midrange and a DIY Tubelab SSE , a passive DIY preamp and a line driver from Abacus.

The crossover points are:

• Low pass 200 Hz, 18dB Butterworth
  • Band pass 20o Hz – 2000 Hz 18 dB Butterworth
  • High pass 2000 Hz 24 dB Butterworth
  • No EQ is used
  • The midrange is reduced by -5 dB
  • The tweeter is boosted by 5dB to compensate the tube amps sensitivity difference
The overall frequency response is very good. Needless to say, that the sound is very lovely indeed.

img_0056.jpg

Response from the front:
response-70cm-in-front.jpg

A few more pictures and measurements can be found in my blog.

Regards

Michael