Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

you apply a thin layer of pva glue on both surfaces with a paint roller, then let it dry completely before applying another layer or two.
put a protective piece of brown paper on top of the veneer, set the clothes iron to max and apply.
let it rest for a couple of hours before trimming the edges.

Bjarne, have you done some other corrections or just crossover filters? JA8008 are low Qts drivers, they won't go deeper then ~200hz even with BSC applied (which is must have for this baffle width). L26ROY - how are they crossed that high? Is midbass and upper bass fast enough for you?

Last edited:
Bjarne, have you done some other corrections or just crossover filters? JA8008 are low Qts drivers, they won't go deeper then ~200hz even with BSC applied (which is must have for this baffle width). L26ROY - how are they crossed that high? Is midbass and upper bass fast enough for you?

mostly XO so far, but i have some EQ on the woofers to make them play down to 35/40hz.

i think the L26ROY plays good that high, though i am still trying out different crossover slopes and EQ to figure out what works best.

right now i am experimenting by having the mids crossed at 1000hz 6db/octave and the woofers at 200hz 12db/octave.
sounds crazy, but it had to be done in the name of science, and it does have potential :D

the JA8008 has higher sensitivity compared to the RAAL, so instead of raising the low end with EQ too meet the woofers i am trying to lower the response between 600hz and 2k using minidsp to make it match the RAAL while still hitting that 240hz XO.

of course, the next thing i am going to try is going the more traditional route by adding an L-pad to the jantzen and have it match the RAAL perfectly before trying to EQ the low end enough too meet up with the woofers.

only way to know what method sounds best is to try them all i guess :drink:

here is a measurement i did of the H-baffle prototype without EQ. (distance 80cm, crossed at 700hz)
212680d1377201101-byob-pen-baffel-0-90-h_ramme.jpg

and compared to a similarly sized u-baffle.
212679d1377201018-byob-pen-baffel-0-90-u-ramme-1-rull-demping.jpg

Kyron Kronos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I heard this over at Melbourne Audio Show yesterday. They are developed by a local company here in Bacchus Marsh. A farm area as I know it!

kyronaudio.com.au/#!kronos/kronos.html

They sounded sublime. Best dipole implementation I've heard both aurally and visually!!

I have observed sometimes ago that simple baffle is better than H or W-frame and these speakers reminded me of it. The 12" drivers delivers deepest bass in the show as one might expect from dipoles.

The magnet-mounted alumunium frame and baffle is awesome. The whole package is fit for a death star or looking at the tweeter... klingon bird of prey.

Simply awesome product and a far long distance from the 1st know dipole by Wharfedale in 1956.

I heard this over at Melbourne Audio Show yesterday. They are developed by a local company here in Bacchus Marsh. A farm area as I know it!

They sounded sublime. Best dipole implementation I've heard both aurally and visually!!

I have observed sometimes ago that simple baffle is better than H or W-frame and these speakers reminded me of it. The 12" drivers delivers deepest bass in the show as one might expect from dipoles.

The magnet-mounted alumunium frame and baffle is awesome. The whole package is fit for a death star or looking at the tweeter... klingon bird of prey.

Simply awesome product and a far long distance from the 1st know dipole by Wharfedale in 1956.

I take it these are active? The box shown on their page looks like a subwoofer of sorts, but I guess that's the amp / processor? (Edit: aha, found more on their page, nm.)

Either way, this speaker looks amazing...it makes me wish I had a CNC machine that could work metal.

Last edited:
Kyron Kronos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I still get the impression that art has been a major part of their design at the expense of performance. If they wanted the best performance they would have inverted one of the bass drivers.

Would be interesting to see polar plots of the speaker.

I still get the impression that art has been a major part of their design at the expense of performance. If they wanted the best performance they would have inverted one of the bass drivers.

Would be interesting to see polar plots of the speaker.

That basically means that EVERY speaker with only one bassdriver is a compromise? It would look ugly with one of the drivers inverted and thats a big price to pay for a minimal gain in lower distortion. It is more called for in W- or H-baffles where the drivers can be covered up. IMHO oc... :)

That basically means that EVERY speaker with only one bassdriver is a compromise? It would look ugly with one of the drivers inverted and thats a big price to pay for a minimal gain in lower distortion. It is more called for in W- or H-baffles where the drivers can be covered up. IMHO oc... :)

Well... yeah =)

It's not minimal at 20-40 hz though, faraday cages isn't practical that low so you'd have to use a push pull motor for it to perform decently, or use two drivers =)

In a normal speaker then sure if you use high SPL you'd benefit but not otherwise. But this is a dipole with a small baffle so excursion will be massive at low frequencies, hence it is not performing as good as it could with both drivers facing the front.

Maybe Kyron's top of the range 'Gaia' handles the inverted bass driver issue ;)

Also, heard the 'Kronos' at the Melbourne Audio Show. Have to agree, they do sound sublime, and go deeeep thanks to lots of active power and DSP EQ.

Think the 'Kronos' is around 70k+ AUS, not sure about the Gaia. Think I'll stay in the DIY world for a little while longer.

Attachments

• Kyron Gaia.jpg
    Kyron Gaia.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,101
  • Kyron Gaia 2.jpg
    Kyron Gaia 2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,068
I think that Kyron Kronos is a basic 3-way dipole. Nothing special except aluminium supporting frame and "nice" craftmanship.

Good points
- There seems to be a backfiring tweeter
- Are the woofers AE Dipole-12 series?
- DEQX as dsp and Hypex nCore amps
Bad
- only a 3-way
- price
---

Loudspeaker Type
  • 3 Way, DSP - controlled active dipole loudspeaker system
Frequency Response Range
  • 32Hz to 40KHz
Polar Response Pattern
  • Figure 8 (dipole)
Tweeters
  • 4 × 1-inch ring radiator with patented symmetrical drive motor
Midrange
  • 2 × 7-inch neodymium dipole mid-woofer
Woofers
  • 4 × 12-inch long throw, dual voice coil dipole woofers

Last edited:
Basic = no wings or "origami" in bass frame, just a square baffle with 2 drivers. Single mid and double tweeters in a triangel baffle. It is basic stuff, done so many times by diyers.

There is some styling done and fancy materials yes but I don't think it has much to do with sound.

Tweeters don't work as dipole because of the frame and distance. The back T just adds reflections. Driver choices are good.

I made an Edge simulation of each section and the ovious issues are - low end has dipole null around 1100Hz and needs heavy low F eq (propably eq'd flat to 50Hz) Mid has dipole null around 2,2kHz. Real nulls are a little lower.

However it surely has many general virtues of dipoles and room response can be eq'd with the dsp, seems like a mic comes with the system.