Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

DSC_0422.jpg

Hi...

Can Jriver be used to generate crossovers, channel delays, allpass filters etc? If so I am quite interested in duplicating what you have done.

Also, Can it interface with Spotify?

Yes, but with some limitations, for example, you can't use HP/LP filter types (only butterworth available) and there are not direct support for all pass filters, but you can use third party software with Convolution.
Parametric Equalizer - JRiverWiki
Convolution - JRiverWiki

Yes, you can use WDM driver for default Windows sound as I do:
WDM Driver - JRiverWiki

Open baffle surrounds

My open baffle surrounds.
Drivers:
Faital Pro 8FE200 - 80-3000hz
BG NEO3 - from 3000hz

About 9db boost at low end was needed for Faitals.
Amplifier: Primare A30.5
Audio interface for digital-analog processing: Allen & Heath ICE-16
DSP processing - JRiver

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_173557.jpg
    IMG_20200131_173557.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_20200131_173635.jpg
    IMG_20200131_173635.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 1,408
  • IMG_20200131_173736.jpg
    IMG_20200131_173736.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 1,391
Hi,

after some work, investigations and experiments, my OB speaker is now nearly finished. Thought I´ll show you some photos therefore. This installation is a free-swinging OB with fieldcoil widerange driver (Fertinacoustics 21M8EX), bass driver (AE Dipole 18 with double magnet) and ambient supertweeter (Peerless OT 19). I´ve had lots of input from this nice forum, many will recognize techniques for example developped by Michael (the free-swinging approach) or by Erling (the minimum baffle, hope I remember that right), and of course I´ll have to thank Rudolf for his work, and many others too.

This is a form-follows-function design and no gimmick. It has the one and only purpose to make me happy when I´m listening to music, and for me it´s the most satisfying outcome I´m able to produce.

Over the month and years of work, they got the name "les fleurs noires", due to form and the french origin of the main driver.

All the best

Mattes

although late
I have to congratulate you for the originality of your project.
if instead of the rigid wire
you put elastic ..
there will be a bit of time to find the right size to make the speaker stable, can I help you with the choice of elastic, the result?
You can't imagine what you're missing.
send me a pm
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old set of 12” three-way speakers. I came across an article about open baffle speakers and decided I try it (I’m glad I did). I wanted to upgrade the speakers in my garage and I had no space for boxes. It was an experiment that turned out better than expected. I attached them to a ceiling joist about 2-3 feet from a wall. I am impressed with the sound. The bass is natural (which means reduced bass compared to traditional speakers); with reduced bass I can play a higher volume without disturbing the neighbors (I checked). They sound best when the garage door is closed, the entire room is the speaker box. I recycled an 8 inch 2-way set to make open baffle speakers for the opposite wall. I hear all speakers anywhere in my garage (I think it is called soundstage). I am very happy with the open baffle speaker system.

Attachments

• Garage-49.jpg
    Garage-49.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,220

Attachments

• 32B8C65F-8A03-4AF4-9E45-DA8B5132BDBB.jpg
    32B8C65F-8A03-4AF4-9E45-DA8B5132BDBB.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • dipool22C.png
    dipool22C.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • dipool22.png
    dipool22.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • dipool22 aanzicht.png
    dipool22 aanzicht.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Thanks. I do similar approach with a DSP, but try to avoid too much eq, but I dont like voices from the woofer. I have heard very good speakers with higher crossover point, but I simply can't make I work.

I've been noticing that issue lately. I cobbled together a sort of M&K S1B homage, with vintage Peerless paper tweeters and Nomex 6.5" drivers.
Problem solved.
I should have tried them open baffle, but the point is, two good midwoofers stacked, can still output like a point source at lower frequencies, if crossed over low enough.