Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

Base Plate Option

• Standard Aluminium 3mm or 4mm

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aluminium + Custom Perforated Steel Base Plate 470mm to 480mm

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@ozorfis I appreciate the suggestion! I certainly am only feeling around in the dark. As part of the troubleshooting I’ve done, I (very carefully and temporarily) lifted the PSU ground altogether. It made no difference to my hum. Sad face

So perhaps putting an NTC 60 in there wouldn’t do anything either. But heck, I’d try anything that might work!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So, lets see if we can do Group Buy Round 2!

I'm relatively new and have been doing research/reading for a good couple of months making plans to jump in the Fearless Amplifier Builders club with both feet. My plan to is build up 2 chassis that would let play with most of the amp boards developed on diyAudio. I've pretty much reached the same conclusion Pico did over a year ago, 4U 500mm chassis would let you build almost anything you would want. I have already reached out to Gianluca and he is willing to do another run if we can get enough interested parties. Last time around he needed at least 10 commitments to justify the custom heatsinks on his end, suspect we will need the same again this go around. If we can get more interested there were pretty significant savings at 25 orders and even more at 40. If we can make this happen I'll be ordering 2 myself, so only need at least 8 to get the ball rolling.

For simplicity sake, my suggestion would be we order the exact same chassis as previously designed. Should make it easier on Gianluca's side as he has already built the order capability on his site.

Best I can tell having read through this many times the final specs where:
4U 500 Deluxe chassis
Silver or black frontplate predrilled for LED
Back plate precut for IEC, options of either "Cardas" XLR and binding post cuts or pilot holes for RCA and binding posts, and tapped for handles
480mm steel internal baseplate with holes on 10mm grid
2X 250mm heatsinks with Pico UMS pattern tapped
Probably missing some fine details which can be corrected.

Looks like at least a few people voiced interest after the order window closed, hopefully they are still interested.

Reactions: 1 user
I still have one from the first GB. It is now reserved for the BAF2015 50W single-ended Schade-enabled amp. Full 62V rail with 3.2A bias. I have a pair of Plitron 625VA transformers w/ 50V secondaries. And the necessary 100V capacitors for each PSU.
There are a couple possibilities for a second chassis, including a SIT variant of the first, or ZM‘s XA252.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So what circuit do you imagine would deserve this splendid home?

The real question is what would you imagine for this splendid home? Do you have something up your sleeve we don't know about yet?

In all seriousness for a newbie like me these chassis really bring so many options to the plate. Start off with an Aleph J and really love it? Great dual mono power supply and crank up the bias. Build an F4 and realize this is the amp you always needed but now want balanced mono? Great, dual mono power supplies and room for 4 amp boards in one chassis. Did you buy a few hockey puck transistors at the gentle nudging of a wise man, perfect heat dissipation shouldn't be an issue. Maybe your long lost uncle passed away and bequeathed you some old Sony amplifier that didn't work any more (one could only wish).

I still have one from the first GB. It is now reserved for the BAF2015 50W single-ended Schade-enabled amp. Full 62V rail with 3.2A bias. I have a pair of Plitron 625VA transformers w/ 50V secondaries. And the necessary 100V capacitors for each PSU.

Thanks TA, I know have yet another diyAudio window open on my browser with another thread to dig through. That looks like fun!

6 channels of M2, what else?

:clown:
So, my front end is inherently balanced. I have already had the thought of balanced M2X with dual power supply in one chassis so I don't have to dumb down the balanced input. Not sure is a balanced M2X is a great idea or not, only one way to find out.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
For those considering GB2. It's a great form-factor, and the extra UMS depth is like magic. I'm getting better at tapping, but having Modushop do it perfectly is just sooooooo nice. The recommended Cardas parts, while admittedly a bit pricey, really fill it out. I've decided that their binding posts may be my new go-to.

Projects that (for me) this chassis seems ideal for.

1) Any of the BAs w/ 12 output devices per side. The BA-1, SE OPS may be a stretch for heat at a higher power output, but it's doable. I love my "6-deep" BA-3 in this chassis. It will likely never come out. Along with that... for those that just can't get enough, a "stretch" F4 could work, but I haven't mapped out the hole pattern.
2) Randy's new Aleph revisions. I should have a 60 in one of my chassis in the not-to-distant future.
3) Any of ZMs / Nelson's designs with a puck on one sink and a Tokin on the other. Some drilling / tapping required. The 50W Schade or Singing Bush with Schade at 3A2 stereo in one chassis may get pretty darn warm depending on the situation. The SB non-Schade is a champ. Anyone have any 77Bs they want to go to a good home? I'll stop throwing Schade if I can get a pair :D

Overall, it's a super chassis. I still need a bit more dissipation for some builds, and some still need a bit of drilling and tapping. However, for the vast majority of projects, they just bolt up easy-peasy.

Also... for those that like to mix and match... and that have a lot of Modushop parts around their shop.
5U front and back plates (from a 5U/400 Deluxe) +
rails and top and bottom plates from Pico's chassis+
4, 210 x 250 sinks (available from the DIYA shop at a stellar price) =
A really super 5U/500 if you really like your amps to put out some heat.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
F4 with 4 output board should be good to go. The F4 boards are the same size with same transistor location as your BA3 output boards. Honestly the picture of your BA3 build is want really cemented for me to resurrect this thread. So much flexibility in one chassis.

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but I have the same question Nelson did. Can someone summarize the purpose and utility of this chassis for me? What are people planning on stuffing into it that won't work in a standard 4U deluxe? What's the benefit of this chassis over multiple smaller ones? etc... ZenMod alludes to >2 channel configurations. Is the idea to get a chassis that you could stuff 5 channels of F6 into for a 5.1 setup?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The benefit for myself is the option to build a wide variety of amps without having to keep buying chassis. Lets say you are just diving into this like myself and plan to start off with a sampler of FW clones: Aleph J, F4, F6, and M2x. Lets say we keep it simple to start with a use the store stereo PSU in a 4U deluxe. After building all 4 you realize the F4 is the long lost amp you have always been looking for so you decide to kick the PSU up a notch to dual mono. Still fine in the 4U Deluxe chassis. Now realizing you have reached near audio nirvana and having a balanced front end decide it would be the penultimate build to have dual mono balanced F4. At this point all you are adding is 2 more amp boards since the dual mono PSU is done but you can't pull that off in a single 4U Deluxe chassis. For me, this is where this chassis shows its flexibility. I could go up to dual mono PSU balanced F4, F6, F5T v2 all in the same chassis and if I really fall in love with one leave it in one chassis while keeping my second chassis as a working chassis to experiment with the other amp designs. I also have 4 Toking THF 51S sitting on the shelf which could take advantage of the larger heat dissipation with this chassis.

On the other hand, if you know you are going to build a F4, F6, or Aleph J etc and then never switch things out the standard 4U should meet all your requirements.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So what circuit do you imagine would deserve this splendid home?
How about Randy’s UMS Aleph 60 with dual mono power supplies? Nothing screams Toxic Masculinity like Deep Purple pcb’s.

894B45E6-B66E-4228-8422-7607A9F722B5.jpeg

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@CoGT3 - See #1292 Bullet #2. Should have boards in my mailbox delivered last night. Running out to grab them. Chassis is ready to go. Haven't ordered the parts or donuts yet though. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. You'll likely be way ahead of me. See also my misspelling.... not*too*distant future => most likely in March at the earliest. LOL.

:cheers:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You will be well ahead of me for sure. I’ll freely admit, the picture was all click bait. I need more people interested to do Toxic Masculinity V 2.0. Waiting to order any chassis until I see if I can get more people interested in this version. I will say, having the boards in person has me rethinking getting only enough Fets for Aleph 30.