Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

Base Plate Option

• Standard Aluminium 3mm or 4mm

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aluminium + Custom Perforated Steel Base Plate 470mm to 480mm

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A lot of people have complained about their F6 build on split heatsinks.
This can easily be fixed by adding an additional set of mounting holes so the mosfets sit symmetrically on the heatsink.

This is something that should be added.
I did this manually but I know others won't want to manually drill and tap a single hole.
I can add it on the drawing if that helps.

Stock Mounting Holes - F6 position on Heatsink

Non-ideal mounting.

Attachments

• 20200930_171702.jpg
    20200930_171702.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200930_171622.jpg
    20200930_171622.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 355
UPDATED Universal Mounting Specification

Hi Gianluca

Eight Additional Holes added.
All new additional holes are offset 40mm from original holes (equidistant). This will fix the mounting problem with F6, plus add additional options for longer future pcbs etc.

I don't have access to Solidworks right now so had to modify the existing drawing in MS Paint.
It's a very simple addition to the original UMS spec. Hope this is adequate.

All holes should be included (including the red holes) - the green hole won't be possible on split heatsinks so that should be omitted.

Attachments

• Updated UMS Mounting Spec.png
    Updated UMS Mounting Spec.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
I’d be interested in a 4U/500

I am provisionally "in" on this...
Russellc

I like the idea of a 4U, 500mm deep chassis. I have a set of boards to build a SIT-3X, and am having a hard time getting those to fit with the chassis that I was hoping to use.

I'm in for the 4U 500mm chassis. I have a shielded 500VA ANTEK for an F6 build and need the space. Thanks for the invite. HeyBill

Oooo yesss! I can't commit to participating in this GB right now, but when I get to the Aleph J on my DIY project list I'd definitely prefer a 4U 500mm chassis over the other current offerings in the DIY Audio store.

Hell, put me down as a yes.

. You can count me in as i’ll deal w specifics once that time comes.

I am interested in one.

Thanks,
Dennis

add me to the list , if cost is reasonable, I would take one

Great idea, this 4U 500.
It's a must, it'll be mine for future amps.
Thanks for the development.

I am interested as well.

Works for me. Glad you addressed the spacing issue on the heatsinks. Didn't know it was an issue. Bill

Hi pico, still waiting on a price but you can count me in on one enclosure, thanks. Hopefully price will be reasonable.

Regards,

Gary..

Including myself we have 14 people interested so far.
Some are definites, others are interested.

Sure thing, if you already have a drawing we could use that would be perfect

Hi Gianluca

Eight Additional Holes added.
All new additional holes are offset 40mm from original holes (equidistant). This will fix the mounting problem with F6, plus add additional options for longer future pcbs etc.

I don't have access to Solidworks right now so had to modify the existing drawing in MS Paint.
It's a very simple addition to the original UMS spec. Hope this is adequate.

All holes should be included (including the red holes) - the green hole won't be possible on split heatsinks so that should be omitted.

Hopefully you saw the previous posts showing photos and drawing for updated UMS.

Looks like you could basically prepare 16 cases for order. Maybe give it a couple more days to see how much extra interest this might generate.

Will a larger order reduce the cost?

Hopefully you saw the previous posts showing photos and drawing for updated UMS.

Looks like you could basically prepare 16 cases for order. Maybe give it a couple more days to see how much extra interest this might generate.

Will a larger order reduce the cost?

Yes, I have been keeping an eye on the thread. I am currently in talk with Jason about how we can handle this

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
G'day Pico,

Another Melbourne lad, great.

We were going to come up with a price for this to be a standard Dissipante chassis, that can be stocked in the store as a regular item at a regular price, rather than the extra costs associated with making a custom product.

This would mean no UMS, no extras.

It could also be offered with UMS heatsinks, again at a similar reduced "standard" cost similar to the Deluxe chassis, rather than a custom job price. This would require a 4Ux500 UMS pattern to be made canon. The UMS is up for a revision soon, but it's not something that will happen overnight (we're all flat out, thus this would be in the order of weeks or months of very careful deliberation and analysis of the use cases of many different designs).

If you are wanting a standard Dissipante, not a standard design that will roll out from here forward, but a custom hole pattern, this can be done as a once off. This is a third option, and would be a third price and it would be more expensive than if it were a standard item that will be stocked in the store from this point forward.

To proceed we'll need to know exactly what you want. The offset hole pattern you've suggested means it will be optimized for just the F6, which is fine, but people use the UMS pattern for many different designs (both now and in the future) which do benefit from having the pattern even on both sides.

Gianluca and I are quite interested in offering a 3Ux500 and 4Ux500 as a standard item, optionally as a Deluxe with the UMS or perhaps an expanded version of it, but I'd be thinking it should be evenly spaced on both sides of the split.

Last edited: