UGS MUSES Scion Preamplifier

Looks like On Semiconductor is making the BC860 obsolete, meaning soon enough, you will not get your hands on one. BC850 will probably soon be on its way out, and its not looking any better for BC550/560 either. So what I ended up doing was placing an order for the B grade ([hfe] 200-450) because there is no C grade available. Wether or not this is the one I ultimately will end up with is to early to say, but better to have them at hand than not. I will purchase the Toshiba BJTs as well. So If you want to secure the On Semiconductor BC850/860 before its too late, now is the time.

Digikey article #: BC850BLT1GOSCT-ND
Digikey article #: BC860BMTFCT-ND

Looks like On Semiconductor is making the BC860 obsolete, meaning soon enough, you will not get your hands on one. BC850 will probably soon be on its way out, and its not looking any better for BC550/560 either. So what I ended up doing was placing an order for the B grade ([hfe] 200-450) because there is no C grade available. Wether or not this is the one I ultimately will end up with is to early to say, but better to have them at hand than not. I will purchase the Toshiba BJTs as well. So If you want to secure the On Semiconductor BC850/860 before its too late, now is the time.

Digikey article #: BC850BLT1GOSCT-ND
Digikey article #: BC860BMTFCT-ND

Hi:)

Do we need that many ? :eek:

From Digikey :

BC850BLT1GOSCT-ND : 8,384
Can ship immediately

BC860BMTFCT-ND : 22,335
Can ship immediately

Great project that I will follow closely :)

Kind Regards

J.R

O.K
you will buy 100 pcs of each. Still a lot left for us ;-)
Do you have any thoughts about the power supply for this pre. ?
LOL... yeah. The reason for that amount is anal matching :)

Power supply.
Too be honest, I haven't given it that much thought as of yet. There is always the original one, but I'll probably end up with something els.
As an example, the Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator (or a variant of it)might be part of it. I know I want to use SiC diodes for the bridge rectifier and either R-core or Toroidal (Toroidy audio grade). I was considering SMPS but don't want to spend the time chasing down the "correct one"- that's how far I have come in regards to the power supply :)

Btw Ine, I have a question for you: do remember or have any notes regarding the Vgss and Idss values flowing through the JFet's at max voltage swing ?

Ever thougt abt summing differensial signal ?

Let R6=R7, R8= Ube/I (I use R7=R6+R8 as it givs mee a bether sim)
Exelent comon mode a cheap way.
Hello R Dijk.
While I appreciate your input, I am not qualified to investigate modifications as such. Doing paralleled JFet/BJT is as far as I can expand/alter the circuit. As far as I understand it, beyond cascoding and SuSy which this amp feature, there is no real advantage to implement a different circuit topology. It is fairly simple on its own and performance wise, with slightly better component tolerances together with better transistors (yeah I know, 2SK170 etc .. lol) I am confident that this will be a top contender.

If one design a buffer that clearly improves the performance beyond the ones I will work on and use here, then that can be an option for upgrade further down the road. If you are up for it, go ahead and design one, prototype it and report back what you find. But for now, I'll stick to the proven circuits :)

Oneminde

Hello R Dijk.
While I appreciate your input, I am not qualified to investigate modifications as such. Doing paralleled JFet/BJT is as far as I can expand/alter the circuit. As far as I understand it, beyond cascoding and SuSy which this amp feature, there is no real advantage to implement a different circuit topology. It is fairly simple on its own and performance wise, with slightly better component tolerances together with better transistors (yeah I know, 2SK170 etc .. lol) I am confident that this will be a top contender.

If one design a buffer that clearly improves the performance beyond the ones I will work on and use here, then that can be an option for upgrade further down the road. If you are up for it, go ahead and design one, prototype it and report back what you find. But for now, I'll stick to the proven circuits :)

Oneminde

But you're using current amplification of 2 in your mirrors. Nevermind. Good luck.
Btw im using it in caskode in my amp ;)

As I said, do a full prototype and then we can compare it to the one(s) which will be used, who knows what you'll find :)

Yea, as i said that was my starting idea.
So the next step for mee would bee a starting comparison. Before considering buffer output. etc etc and so on.
I hope you find what you where looking for ;)
Here is what i was comparing just for fun, and i realy had a lot of fun !

Attachments

• pre ide start..png
    pre ide start..png
    38.3 KB · Views: 506
  • Preamp Ugs.png
    Preamp Ugs.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 503
entire project is no-go , with established premises , until you find proper replacement for 2SJ109BL ( same as 2 x 2SJ74BL)

cascode bjts are absolutely non- critical

outer ring mosfets are more imoprtant but also not overly critical - plenty of usable parts around

I have mine for "mine" projects :D
And doing a transistor variation is basically dobble the current sorces. Either number or current. Typical example stochino input stage.
I have already my MAT's for that too ;)

Can i by a set of boards?

entire project is no-go , with established premises , until you find proper replacement for 2SJ109BL ( same as 2 x 2SJ74BL).
That's a bit odd coming from you, you yourself use "same sex" FET's, N-chn conduct equally well in both directions etc. Even Flatlabs use N-chn only in his M2 buffer stage.

-- EDIT --
If you are thinking about the gate polarity, I can always throw in the Linear Systems LSJ74-SOT-23 3L - there's your P-chn replacement :)

Last edited:
entire project is no-go , with established premises , until you find proper replacement for 2SJ109BL ( same as 2 x 2SJ74BL)

cascode bjts are absolutely non- critical

outer ring mosfets are more imoprtant but also not overly critical - plenty of usable parts around

Hm... an other way is stil thinking simple. And ther is stil som werry exclusive out there. And if youre going for a exclusive.... Maybee MAT02 replacement is a starting pooint. Unless youre going smd. (Just a monemt have to check my hot air ;) )
There is circuits werry WERRY! GOOD PERFORMANCE ! Been published in diyaudio before, cant remember the sorce,

As i said it al depends on curent sorce, more or less.
Here is the basic "otta my head"
May i say it is better than fet inputs?

Attachments

• Preamp simple basic.png
    Preamp simple basic.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 438
Hi@ R Dijk
(I know who you are from another forum).;)
Please don't spam this thread with your endless simultations in LT Spice.
Come back, when you actually have built a gain-stage with in real life measurements.
Simultations and real life measurements are often not the same, but just a start ;)