UGS-muse preamp GB

Other than the docs offered on the HomeCinema site, and the excellent SMD soldering approach, is there any other build guide available offering more detail for those of us unfamiliar with this project? I've perused this thread from the beginning, and tried to find what bits and pieces I could from posts. Anyone in the past 5 years done a 'Hitchhikers Guide' to the MUSE USG Pre project.... walk-through of building, testing, adjusting, etc. Assembly tips and techniques? Pitfalls to avoid, that sort of thing. :)

Hi, I have what I believe to be few pieces of 2BL389 and 2SJ109 that I bought 8 or so years ago. Is there a recommended / straight forward method of testing them before I get too far into the MUSE build? I have a scope, decent multimeter (fluke 289), and a few cheaper multimeters and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Other than the docs offered on the HomeCinema site, and the excellent SMD soldering approach, is there any other build guide available offering more detail for those of us unfamiliar with this project? I've perused this thread from the beginning, and tried to find what bits and pieces I could from posts. Anyone in the past 5 years done a 'Hitchhikers Guide' to the MUSE USG Pre project.... walk-through of building, testing, adjusting, etc. Assembly tips and techniques? Pitfalls to avoid, that sort of thing. :)

I think most of it is on HCFR, but I don’t think anyone made a proper guide as you request. PCB assembly is not too hard, except for few components on the control board and the 2 preamps. As usual start with small parts and double check / test before powering up.
What I can try to do is to translate HCFR first page here as many useful info are there.
And don’t hesitate to ask any questions :)

Reference the image below.

Shown using the red arrows, are 2, 4-pin device holes next to the 2SK devices. What are these used for? The dual equivalent of the JFETs I believe I remember reading in the thread?

Also, show in the images on the HCFR site are silver housings around the USG modules. Are these custom heat sinks of some type, or used for stray RFI.

Attachments

• UGS Module.jpg
    UGS Module.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 386
Ok. Do they thermally couple just the 2, 2SKxxx devices, or all the BJTs as well. Looks like the layout of the PCB was designed in fact for that? Are these heatsink 'thingies' in the BoM somewhere, or are they user, custom fit if desired? What about the 2, 4-pin devices?

Sorry for the noob questions. I just don't want to screw anything up since this is a very extensive (and pricey) project. :)

@group Does someone have a closeup image of the UGS modules fitted with those HS they could share?

Last edited:
Ok. Do they thermally couple just the 2, 2SKxxx devices, or all the BJTs as well. Looks like the layout of the PCB was designed in fact for that? Are these heatsink 'thingies' in the BoM somewhere, or are they user, custom fit if desired? What about the 2, 4-pin devices?

Sorry for the noob questions. I just don't want to screw anything up since this is a very extensive (and pricey) project. :)

@group Does someone have a closeup image of the UGS modules fitted with those HS they could share?

The 4 pins you highlight belong to the JFET together with the 3 pins in front.
Dual JFET are 7 pins devices.

@Alex, Just so I"m clear, is this the proper orientation for installing the matched pair of JFETs on each side of the UGS module?

Hi Redjr, in my opinion not.
I never used single JFET as replacement of dual JFET, I only use dual JFET so I cannot share some experience here but when I look at the 2SK389 pinout for example it is - DGS subtrate SGD - so you have to rotate 180 degree one of the single FET you inserted here, probably the right one on the photo I would say (unless we can swap S and D on those JFET which I am not aware of).